THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .223 comes through for my great grandson

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 comes through for my great grandson
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My grandson has twin boys and we took them hunting. The twins are nine. I set up my Workmate to give them a rest to shoot from and instructions on handling the rifles. At first they were slow getting on target, but you could see they were improving fast as they got use to the rifles. I have a Remington 600 in .222 with a shortened stock. also have a Winchester model 70 in .223. They liked the shortened one better, but one of the boys was getting more comfortable with the longer one. Their accuracy was good from the start and soon they were using a golf ball for a target, and hitting it.

After letting them practice, I took one to a stand and my grandson took the other to a stand. A doe and a yearling buck came in. I had told him where to aim and the yearling made a good presentation. This was a small deer, under 100 pounds maybe 75. At the shot the deer jumped and was running towards us, I could see where it was hit and knew things were over. It may have made a 40 foot death run and piled up. This was a .223 and a 55 grain cup and core. I have been involved in hunts like that for years. .22 cal 55 grain cup and core in the right spot is all you need. This was the smallest deer, many were in the 150 pound range and the .22's worked on them too._

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Great Grandpa! What a thrill that must have been for everyone.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
surefire--I told him he would remember this the rest of his life, and I bet he will. I also asked him how old he was and he said nine. I said and Jordan is ten? He said we're both nine. I asked him how that happened? He said we're twins.

Right now there are two seasons going on. One is a special hunt us old geezers can only take spikes and does. But another youth season is going on and youth can also take bucks. I didn't know that at the time and I'm glad I didn't make him pass on a buck. We plan on going some more so the other twin can get one.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All my kids, grandkids and great grand kids have killed there first couple of Mule Deer and whitetail with our Rem 600 in 222..We prefer the 60 gr. Hornady soft point or hollow point..the stock, like yours, is cut off..My 30 year old grandson still shoots his deer with a .222, He is a cowboy, brand inspector and has never seen the need for any other caliber..He kills them at up to 200 yards plus, just like I do with my 06! shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, did you replace the plastic trigger guard on your model 600? If so did you buy or make the replacement?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree that that is one great experience to share with your grandkids (kids too of course) + I guarantee that Grandpa will remember even more than the kids in years to come. I know I cherish mine.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nope I just cut the stock down and closed the bottom up with a nice colorful piece of walnut and added a steel trigger guard..Nothing fancy for a 10 year old boy or girl that can screw up an anvil with a powder puff..They can scratch up a gun by nature, its in their DNA Im pretty sure.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote