New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info on small .17s wanted
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to put together a small .17 to shoot varmints up to say 250 yards with zero richochets

I want to shoot the light 15-20 gr bullets at a good lick say 4000fps but with good effiency, little noise and good accuracy. Not to keen on rapid barrel wear.

Any ideas I was thinking of a 17-222 as the Mach IV fireball cases hard to get here.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Gard>
posted
a 17AI Hornet loaded with 20gr v-max would be great!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gard,

Do you have any velocities etc. Have you got one? Hornet would be great as cases and actions pretty easy to get.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Gard>
posted
I have a 20" barrel for a encore on order. I have some loading data that shows a 20gr bullet at 3700 fps. The 20gr v-max has a .185 B.C this compared to a .183 for the 25gr. I havent recived the barrel yet but really look foward shooting it. Email me and I will give you the load data.

<Todd A Kindler>
posted
We have several customers and subscribers in England who are shooting the 17 Ackley Hornet, 17 Ackley Bee , 17 HeBee and the 17 Mach IV with great results. For 100-300 yd. shots you can't go wrong with the either the 17 Ackley Bee or 17 HeBee. Both can push a 20 gr. bullet at 4000 fps in a strong action and 24 inch barrel. We have a great 17 reloading manual and our Small Caliber News Magazine you would enjoy.

The Woodchuck Den (330)897-0614 www.woodchuckden.com

Todd Kindler-Editor Small Caliber News www.smallcaliber.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Many thanks, my fingers twitching. I have a 18 inch sound moderated 243 at the moment. With 55gr ballistic tips and H322 to keep it quieter it's quite fun but as velocity is down I'm concerned about richochets. Also muzzle jump reduces the fun.

I don't know what a .17HeBee is based on. Seeing as I want to minimise noise and am happy with 4000 with 15,18 or 20 grains is the MachIV too much? Also what sort of barrel life - my barrels don't get hot and I take real good care of them.

With 15gr MEF are you talking no exits on say squirrels, are they enough for foxes? Seems quite wind sensitive.

Sorry for all the questions.

<Todd A Kindler>
posted
The 17 HeBee is based on the 218 Bee case with an improved 30 degree shoulder. It would do fine on all your varmints with no ricochets using the Berger or Hornady 20 gr. bullets. You will also see most of your shots and very quiet indeed. The only people who have excessive wind problems with the 17 calibers are the ones who don't shoot them!
We have had excellent articles on the 17 HeBee, 17 Ackley Bee and the 17 Mach IV in past issues of Small Caliber News. Hope this helps.

Todd Kindler-Editor Small Caliber News (330)897-0614 www.smallcaliber.com

<jim saubier>
posted
I agree with what has been said but another thing to consider is whether you plan on shooting a single shot or a magazine fed rifle. With a magazine feed, the rim of the Hebee or Ack bee could cause you some headache. With that said, I primarily have single shots and appreciate the rimmed cases. I have a Hebee and wrote one of the articles for SCN that Todd mentioned. I really like it and have achieved the velocity that you are interested in with the 20 grain bullets and a 20" barrel. I have some pictures of the different .17 cases and some additional information on the Hebee on my personal website.

I don't think that you can go wrong with the Hebee or the Ackley Bee. I also have a Mach IV and a .17 Ackley Hornet that would fit your requirements (except for the case availability of the Fireball but I imagine that you will have the same issues with the Bee brass)

www.saubier.com/smallcaliber

------------------
jim

[This message has been edited by jim saubier (edited 05-03-2001).]

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I've built a .17 Rem on a Rem 700 .223 action that shoots like crazy. >15-.20 inch groups at 100yrds with 25gr bergers or starke bullets over 23 gr of varget. These groups are also off a bipod. I can't beat it with a 6mmppc.

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote