THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Win 257 Rob brass discontinued!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 257 Rob brass discontinued!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using PPU from Graff and midway, they make quite a few calibers and the brass is dirt cheap and last damn near forever..I buy 7x57, 30-06, 270 and 300 win mag form them and they make other calibers. Priced at $54 to $60 per hundred..I can make a lot of different cases with that brass, like 338-06, 308, 7-08 35 Whelen and also 257 and 250-3000...most with a pass thru the die..If I have to.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I just bought 250 pieces of Remington 257 Rob Brass from Cabela's... head's up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got 300 pieces of brass from Hornady for 257 roberts

Posts: 368 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rodger wright:
I just got 300 pieces of brass from Hornady for 257 roberts

Last I knew Hornady didn't make Rob brass as a component... Just wrote them last month asking about it, and they said they were considering it based on emails like mine, but Rbt's brass is definitely not in production at this time.

Perhaps yours were one-fire shells from factory loads?

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Graf's shows two brands in stock, Jamison and Nosler.
With RP and WW back ordered.
Midway and Midsouth show Nosler in stock.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
For anybody still following this thread and still looking for 257R brass, I was in MN last month and stopped by the Rogers Cabelas. They had 3 bags of Rem 257R brass on the shelf. They had 2 bags when I left. Stopped by the local UPS store and sent them to myself in CA since I wasn't checking any bags. Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
For anybody still following this thread and still looking for 257R brass, I was in MN last month and stopped by the Rogers Cabelas. They had 3 bags of Rem 257R brass on the shelf. They had 2 bags when I left. Stopped by the local UPS store and sent them to myself in CA since I wasn't checking any bags. Wink

Uh, like I said, Cabela's has Roberts brass in stock... my 250 pieces showed today.

Still in stock with $5 shipping through tonight:

http://www.cabelas.com/product...rass-Per/1160414.uts

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two different stores in Boise have it...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
thanks , hopefully they will ship to nyc

quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:

Uh, like I said, Cabela's has Roberts brass in stock... my 250 pieces showed today.

Still in stock with $5 shipping through tonight:

http://www.cabelas.com/product...rass-Per/1160414.uts

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's just seasonal shortages. They don't make all brass all the time!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
quote:

In the meantime, buy some 7x57. One run through the .257 FL die does it.

I was curious about that. Any issues with neck thickness?

Typically, commercial chambers are on the large side, so using something like 7x57 necked to .257 usually makes a little better fit in the neck area rather than being too thick. Of course, it all depends on your particular chamber, but in my experience using .30-06 for .280 and .25-06 and .308 to .243 I've had no problems with the necks being too thick. I do have a custom-chambered .20 Vartarg which needs the brass thinned in the neck area when using necked down .221 Fireball brass, but as I say, it is a custom chamber.

A judicious application of Imperial Wax, or even an oil supplement like STP or Motor Honey, will allow you to easily resized 7x57 to .257 with no more effort than resizing once-fired .257's. That assumes that you start with virgin brass which does not have work-hardened necks. Used brass may very well need to be annealed before the neck-down process. But caution: I've seen annealed brass so soft that it will collapse instead of flow in the die.

Neck thickness on the 7x57 IS an issue, it is thicker than what you get with the 280 Remington so neck turning might just be needed.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
make a chamber cast on any of your standard factory rifles and then mike your loaded rounds. Then, fire that round and mike the case neck OD.

Sloppy chambers are why you need to FL size your brass. Using the 7x57 case will generally make the rifle shoot more accurately.

The deal is: the factories use the maximum dimension reamers to start with. They cut "X" number of (sloppy big) chambers, then the reamer gets dull, then they sharpen it. That reamer is then about a medium spec. They chamber some more, then it gets dull. Then they sharpen it to minumum specs, and cut chambers until it get too dull. Those chambers are the most accurate of the three stages of reamer dimensions.
Brass does not expand in the smaller chamber half as much. Rifle shoots more accurately, and more consistently, and with more velocity. Caloric Energy is not wasted expanding the case as it would to fit the fat chamber.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:

A judicious application of Imperial Wax, or even an oil supplement like STP or Motor Honey,

Stonecreek, Why would you want to use a lube that heavy? Ive always leaned more toward the sewing machine oil/gun oil side. It seems to me that it has less tendency to gum up your dies and easier to clean up afterwards.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to use transmission fluid for sizing lubricant because it wipes off easily. If you have a tough sizing job Armorall protectant is awesome.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Imperial wax for everything...I have made a lot of 257 and 6mm brass from 7x57 and 30-06 cases over the years. I have not needed to inside or outside neck ream any of the brass in my rifles except for one batch of 30-06 sometime back..but its definatly something that you should measure. In any sizing operation one should always be on the lookout for that ring that forms at the shoulder/neck junction when downsizing, I have had to cut that out at times.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
This is a good site to search from. They list all on-line retailers and availability for ammo and components. Filter for what you are looking for and it lists everything available.

http://ammoseek.com/

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I use Imperial wax for everything...I have made a lot of 257 and 6mm brass from 7x57 and 30-06 cases over the years. I have not needed to inside or outside neck ream any of the brass in my rifles except for one batch of 30-06 sometime back..but its definatly something that you should measure. In any sizing operation one should always be on the lookout for that ring that forms at the shoulder/neck junction when downsizing, I have had to cut that out at times.

The wax works but removing it from cases sucks. And the neck wall thickness is .005 greater with the 7x57 than it is for say a 280 Remington. That works out to a .010 greater thickness overall and that could cause an issue. It works out to be .008 greater than what the 257 neck thickness is supposed to be. I would certainly turn or ream.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Palidun,

make an accurate chamber cast first. You may find .008-.010" chamber clearance on factory 257. The necked down 7x may very well provide better accuracy, as well as increased velocity.

I ran a few cases this afternoon, and the difference on a loaded round was only .004" more with the7x over factory (REM) 257.

That said, your comments are just common sense.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no reason the 6mm Rem brass won't work, but you must open the necks and then full length resize, trim and probably be a good idea to check the thickness of the neck, but I never did that..The 6mm, 7x57, 8x57, 257 Robts, 250 Savage, 308, 243, 7-08, 270, 280, and a host of others are all derived from the 30-06 and can be necked up and down, trimmed, or whatever to work in the Roberts or each other in many cases.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been paying attention to this one, rounded up PPU 7x57 brass from Graf. Using Hornady Unique, quick dog leg through a .270 die, then through the Roberts sizer.
So far, just fine tuning a 100 grain Sierra/ IMR 4451 load, biggest problem I have so far is getting time to make it to the range. Could probably call it good at 44 grains, but the groups keep getting a little bit tighter as I go up, so I,m curious to see what it will do..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And a Thank You, for the guys commenting on this thread!
Put me in the direction of trying the 7x57 brass, liking the results!

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive survived several wars and more than a few kinda like wars such as Korea and Viet Nam and some other scurmishes, all of which created shortages in ammo, and components..I learned early on I can make most any non belted case from the 30-06.

I also surprised my young self, I discovererd that I didn't need a magnum in the first place..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120