Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lighter loads for a 243
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for some information/help on possibly using a lighter load for my M77 in 243. My grand son is chomping at the bit to shoot it. He is now 12 years old, but very slight of build. I myself am dealing with some shoulder issues and would use it myself. I am currently using 87 gr. ballistic tips with 38 grains of 4895. That is what all my books and online say is max load. I read someplace about starting out load at 60% of max and work up from there. Can't find that now and am wondering if that would work???

Posts: 4 | Location: Grand Forks, ND | Registered: 12 December 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the page you’re looking for:

https://www.hodgdonreloading.c...cks/low-recoil-loads

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just use the lightest loads from a reloading book they will be plenty light enough.

Posts: 19350 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In many cases I've used loads from a cast bullet reloading manual and they worked out just fine. They are usually much lighter loads than jacketed bullet loads. I substitute jacked bullets of the same weight for lead bullet data.

Hip

Posts: 1816 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old Lyman Manual 44th edition lists 7 to 11.0 grains of Unique with a 95 grain cast bullet. I have the RCBS 95 grain mold and it's designed for a gas check, but I can't tell any difference with or without the check. To whet a 12 year olds appetite, casting bullets if you don't already might be the way to go.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Are you allowed suppressors? Nothing removes recoil like a suppressor.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can load that 87 or even a 100 gr. bullet at 2500 FPS and it kills whitetail very well indeed in a 243 and hardly any recoil up to 200 yards anyway..We cull a lot of does with such loads and 2500 to 2600 FPS seems to be the favorite load...Thats what I use in my 250-3000 and my kids and grandkids like it..

P-dog shooter said it all use the starting loads in the reloading books..those 85-90 gr. bullets kill deer really well at 2500 to 2600 fps at 100 to a 150 or so yards.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
This is the page you’re looking for:

https://www.hodgdonreloading.c...cks/low-recoil-loads
Yup. This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when you couldn't find 22 rimfire ammo anywhere I concocted a load utilizing Nosler 55 grain SHOT bullets in my 243. I contacted Accurate powder and they gave me a reduced load using A5744 powder, virtually no recoil and great for short range vermin disposal.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote