THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Berger Hunting Bullets/243/6mm

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berger Hunting Bullets/243/6mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Working on a white tail load for my .243 wssm and the 87 grain Berger hunting bullet is doing better than other bullets. However I have never hunted with them. Do any of you have experience with them?

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as you don't hit anything harder than a rib you will be impressed with how fast even big deer with horns go down. You will get through scapulas, but you will also ruin shoulders. if your gun likes Bergers, try the 90 gr. Swift Sciroccos. They stand up to high impact velocities and are very hi BC as well.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today I shot them more and while it means nothing on how they will perform on game I found out that they will poke right thru 1/4 inch AR500 plate at 150 yards. Getting close to 3400 fps according to my magneto speed.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've only shot blacktail deer and pronghorn with the 243 and used the 85 grain Partition. They worked at 243 Win velocities out to 400 yards.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12512 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
I have recently played with the 95gr .243 Berger Classic Hunter bullets and I cannot believe the initial groups I have shot from both a 243 win and 6 mm Rem. They have worked well seated close to the lands, or not...
Very nice shooting bullets.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Nelson:
Today I shot them more and while it means nothing on how they will perform on game I found out that they will poke right thru 1/4 inch AR500 plate at 150 yards. Getting close to 3400 fps according to my magneto speed.

This is indicative of the speed they are travelling and NOT bullet toughness.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I've taken 3 deer with Berger VLDs out of a 308 Winchester this year. Exit wounds weren't impressive but I don't care; all three DRT.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of Berger's as a deer bullet. This average sized whitetail buck was shot by myself using my 7mm Rem Mag and 168 VLDH bullets. Impact was 125 yds, right behind the shoulder. I'd much rather shoot an accubond or partition any day.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that there wasn't much of a blood trail with that deer, but I suspect he dropped pretty close to where he was when he was hit. I prefer to have some ribs suitable for the barbeque.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Nelson:

This is indicative of the speed they are travelling and NOT bullet toughness.

Yes this is why I said it is not mean anything on how they will perform on game.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

one of us
posted Hide Post
With the velocities you can get I would move up to a 100gr bullet on the tough side.

After shooting hundreds of head of big game over 5 decades of hunting the more I appreciate heaver tougher bullets for the caliber I am using.

The new mono bullets changes the some what.

Posts: 19338 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Problem is it don't like any heavier bullets. I wanted to shoot 95-100 grain Partitions but it just don't like them.

quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
With the velocities you can get I would move up to a 100gr bullet on the tough side.

After shooting hundreds of head of big game over 5 decades of hunting the more I appreciate heaver tougher bullets for the caliber I am using.

The new mono bullets changes the some what.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Problem is it don't like any heavier bullets.

Neither do the critters you shoot them with.

Posts: 19338 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Barnes makes a TTSX 80 grain with a BC of something like .331.
If that shoots well in your rifle I can't fathom a deeper penetrating bullet no matter the weight when speaking of a .243.
That would give you high speeds, open on contact and penetration deeper than any deer you may want to shoot with it.

I've never used the Bergers and don't plan on it after hearing how fragile they are.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Barnes makes a TTSX 80 grain with a BC of something like .331.
If that shoots well in your rifle I can't fathom a deeper penetrating bullet no matter the weight when speaking of a .243.
That would give you high speeds, open on contact and penetration deeper than any deer you may want to shoot with it.

I've never used the Bergers and don't plan on it after hearing how fragile they are.

^^^ this is my vote too (but guys will do whatever they want regardless of what I say. haha)

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son has a cow elk tag. He will be using a 95 gr. ballistic tip hunting bullet in his 243 win.

If one hits the target the target will go down.

So many good bullets, one can't blame bullets anymore for poor shooting.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slim buttes:

This statement has never been more true!

We are extremely blessed to have such a great variety of fantastic bullets made far better than they ever have been.
I've never been a fan of "bullet failure" as a n excuse, usually poor shooting or mis application (wrong bullet for the job)

Hey Slim good luck to your boy on his Elk!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good thread. The 243 is one of my favourite cartridges. Some bullets are explosive if that's what you need and some bullets work very well on big game, I'm told.( I have never used it on any big animal but I would like to.)

Some of the farmers and PHs in South Africa give their boys a .243 to learn on. They go out on the veld with nothing fancy for bullets and kill all the plains game, big and small, with the 243. I think that Slim's son with a stiff .243 bullet will be very successful on elk.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slim buttes:
My son has a cow elk tag. He will be using a 95 gr. ballistic tip hunting bullet in his 243 win.

If one hits the target the target will go down.

The son of a friend used the 243 for deer with great success so he used it for elk. the first year he shot a spike and it fell down. Second year the elk dropped to its knees, then got up and ran a hundred yards before dropping. Third year was repeat of second year. Problem was he only got the first elk. the second and third were shot again as they ran and were tagged by another hunter. The 243 will kill an elk, but I'd want a bigger bullet that had more authority to keep the elk from running and leading to claiming problems.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
The son of a friend used the 243 for deer with great success so he used it for elk. the first year he shot a spike and it fell down. Second year the elk dropped to its knees, then got up and ran a hundred yards before dropping. Third year was repeat of second year. Problem was he only got the first elk. the second and third were shot again as they ran and were tagged by another hunter. The 243 will kill an elk, but I'd want a bigger bullet that had more authority to keep the elk from running and leading to claiming problems.

Those same results on elk can be had with any cartridge used. I've never seen any "magnum" or otherwise knock elk down where they stand consistently. Elk are tough but not bulletproof and if you put your bullet where it should be they die. There is not an elk on this planet that will live through a heart shot or a good low double lung shot, even from a lowly .243.
There is no magic cartridge to kill elk, good shooting consistently kills elk.

posted Hide Post
87gr VLD is an awesome deer round out of my Remmy model 7. Good to 300. Mine are running around 2900-2950. Bangflop

Posts: 12 | Location: VA | Registered: 28 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
The 80 gr TTSX out of my 243 going roughly 3415 fps is absolutely lethal on deer and antelope. Been using this combination for several years now with zero thoughts of changing bullets.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote