Find
Notify
Tools

6mm Musgrave
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I came into a barrel chambered for the 6mm Musgrave threaded for a Martini Enfield or SMLE action and am trying to decide whether to put it on an action. I would like to hear folks' experience with this caliber, and what rifle it was on.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
taking a big o'l WAG here, but I'm guessing you got a 243/6mm Rem in a 303 type case.
maybe another 50-100fps?
shrug.

Posts: 4954 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
After the World War 2 a great many South African 303s were converted to 6mm Musgrave and, sadly, some older, family-heirloom SMLEs. Musgrave was a very successful family-owned firearm company.
It is not as fast as the 243 Win and the rifles were invariably a bit inaccurate due to the action, but they accounted for a great many springbuck on driven hunts.

Posts: 778 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Musgrave is a less powerful .243, but not by much. Bullet performance was about 2800 fps with a 100-grain bullet. Still a potent killer for smaller game, remember that the factory load for the .250/3000 was the same. Is it worth screwing onto the OP’s action? That’s up to him.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I believe this is what it looks like.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the Ellwood Epps gunshop in Canada did the same thing by necking down the .303 British to .243. The final dimensions probably varied a bit from the Musgrave, but I'm sure performance was the same. There's probably an Australian version also -- you'll find such anywhere the British Commonwealth left some Lee Enfields behind.

Posts: 13207 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several years worth of Man Magnum magazines.
I remember several articles on the 6mm Musgrave.
If I remember right, it was quite well thought of for smaller antelope, and didn't ruin as much meat as a full house 243.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I say build the Martini.
Years ago, I had a Westley Richards switch barrel falling block that had a 450NE barrel and a 6mm Musgrave barrel.
I shot the 6mm quite a bit at the range but never once touched off a 450.

One built on a smaller Hagn action would be about ideal but one on a nice Martini would be quite nice as well.

Posts: 3231 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I say build the Martini.

That is the direction I am leaning, especially since the barrel is already screwed into a bare martini action.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see your Musgrave in action, Dave!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it would be possible (or worth while) shipping them over, but I have 5 boxes (100 rounds) of PMP once-fired brass, still in the original boxes if you are interested.

Posts: 453 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Hi Peter.

Thank you for the offer, and let me see if I can figure a way to get them here to the U.S. without you having to mail them. How much do you need to get for them and where are you in South Africa?

Dave

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I found a set of dies and found that I can easily neck down .303 brass by first reducing the neck to 7mm by running it partly into a 7mn-08 die.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
found a set of dies and found that I can easily neck down .303 brass

Yes, that’s what I did too.
Another reason to like the 6mm Musgrave

Posts: 3231 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote