6mm ARC, Another New One
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Why come up with such a ridiculous name? A better name would have been 6mm grendel or 6mm russian.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:
Why come up with such a ridiculous name? A better name would have been 6mm grendel or 6mm russian.

Grendel has been already used, Russian ain't American.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6mm PPC+

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there was a 6mm cartridge based on the Grendel case already. Called the Fat Rat. This sounds like they copied took this mans design and tweaked it enough to not get themselves in trouble. Unless he sold the rights to the cartridge.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6AR is also pretty close. Hornady are just grabbing market share of the short fat 6mm AR market. Looks the good though.

People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yawn.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not an AR-15 kind of guy (although the way things have been going lately, I’ve started building one). This little 6mm and the 6.5 Grendel seem like they would make a nice fit in the Kimber 84M action for deer and vermin. I like the concept all the way around.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3271 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Has a SOCOM application. They had the contract before they ever started worrying about the general public.

Just like the 300 PRC, whether you like this one or not it doesn't matter it is already a military cartridge.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Revisiting this cartridge. Might make a nice, versatile upper.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's showing that Howa is on board. I am hoping that the Howa is a mini action in the Carbon Stalker with a threaded barrel. I would buy one today.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you think about the ballistics it is a reinvention of the wheel. I guess when you think about it working in an AR, well, I guess that is the same analogy there. I guess some pencil pusher just thought of a way to sell more products. 2020

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If not for the AR, the 6mm Remington fits the bill with better ballistics.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 932 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I think that trying to extract the maximum accuracy and performance at long distance that you can get out of the Ar-15 platform is a worthwhile pursuit for any certified gun crank.

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess even gun writers have to eat !

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me personally I can see the appeal of the 6 ARC. First if it is in a super light rifle like the Howa at 4.5 pounds. That is a light little mountain rifle. With the faster rate of twist it is capable of shooting bullets from 100 grains up. Again for a very light mountain rifle I can see it filling a niche. The 243 and the 6 ARC are so close that there is no need for most bolt action guys. I'm looking at it like if I had the 4.5 pound Howa. I put my silencer on it. Now it is still light with less recoil and the ability of basically a 243. That becomes a rifle that I would enjoy not only for me but for my granddaughters.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A 257 ARC, now then we would be talking!
I dub thee “256 Archimedes“ for simplicity of brass and barrel stamp conversion or 257 Gremlin if you want to keep in line with the Gremlin nomenclature. Just a simple neck up.
popcorn

Let’s not forget the amazing 358 Gremlin on the same case. 180 grain @ 2,300 iirc just like the 35 Rem.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does not brother me one bit if the gun companies or wildcatters bring out new cartridges,

I do not or do choose to buy and use them.

Matter of fact if it results into one more gun new owner. More new guns sold.

The better off the we are.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Boomie, great idea. I have always been fond of the quarterbore.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
My son has a 6MM ARC and really likes it. It is about the fastest, flattest, round that you can get in an AR for deer sized game. Now I am not an AR guy. I'm a blue and walnut guy. But he has already taken a nice buck with his and we have just started reloading for it. Seems to be accurate with everything that we have tried.

God Bless, Louis

I agree with p dog shooter. The more guns and shooters we have the better.

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
A 257 ARC, now then we would be talking!
I dub thee “256 Archimedes“ for simplicity of brass and barrel stamp conversion or 257 Gremlin if you want to keep in line with the Gremlin nomenclature. Just a simple neck up.
popcorn

Let’s not forget the amazing 358 Gremlin on the same case. 180 grain @ 2,300 iirc just like the 35 Rem.

I got to be honest. If the 257 Gremlin came out I would get that one. I have a space in my life for a .25

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The interesting thing about the 25 is the new versatility with über high BC Ace 131 grain Ace bullet to the regular rifle bullets like the Roberts to the 25-06 bullets to the low impact velocity old school lever action bullets down to 65 grains. In this “case” the 131 could be a fine subsonic load while the nominal 25s can be a modest load and the lever action bullets would be screamers or keep them within their functional impact velocity envelope and all in a lightweight small package.

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Crazy 8
posted Hide Post
I've been toying with the thought of putting together a 243 upper for my ar-10.I already have everything to reload for it,but my savage splits hairs and I don't have to go searching for the brass

Posts: 9 | Location: Cleveland ohio  | Registered: 10 January 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rechambering a 6mm PPC. I found a nice 6MM PPC I'm thinking about buying. It would need to have the neck opened a bit though since is was a custom build with a .261 neck. I would like to have the neck reamed to .271 so I could use the 6mm PPC-USA cartridge. Is this a big deal~? Who could perform this work and maintain the accuracy of a 6mm PPC-USA~? Or would rechambering to the 6mm ARC make more sense~?

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
A buddy called last night from Omaha + in our discussion he mentioned that he had heard that the military was entertaining the idea of introducing a 6MM round. I had heard the same but in a 6.5 MM. Does anyone know more about this?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The military is looking at the 6mm ARC right now. I've read that the motivation to look at the round was created because the bullet was still super-sonic at 1000 yds and still carried enough energy at that weight (105 gr I believe) to accomplish devastating results.
Hornady developed the round based on the criteria specified by the military.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
62,000 psi for bolt action. 52,000 psi for an AR.
Well, the best wildcat would probably be the 8.6mm ARC aka 338-6mm ARC. 160-300 grain bullets for supersonic to subsonic.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I would never rechamber a 6 PPC to the ARC. It was the PPC and 6BR that established this weight class. The ARC is just an inexpensive imitator.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't completely disagree with you, but if you've seen anything about the ARC you know that ir is really a superior performer. One of the issues I've considered is "availability of ammunition or brass". The 6 PPC has really become difficult to find, and when you do find it it's darned expensive. ARC on the other hand is a new cartridge by a major producer and even if that caliber becomes just another flavor of the week, brass and ammunition should appear in some quantity in the near future and for some years to come.
The reason for thinking in those terms is that I had a gorgeous Marlin lever gun in .32-40 some years back. I loved that gun and .32-40 was a darned accurate caliber. Brass availability was another matter and I had to reform .30-30 cartridges to make my ammunition. Not fun~!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:
ARC is an abbreviation of Advanced Rifle Cartridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Has a SOCOM application. They had the contract before they ever started worrying about the general public.

Just like the 300 PRC, whether you like this one or not it doesn't matter it is already a military cartridge.

Thay'd right. Hornady already had the contract before the cartridge was announced and offered to the public.. Still "super-sonic" at 1000 yards and still plenty of energy to kill at that range. I'd have one in a bolt gun right now if ammo and brass weren't an issue~!