THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    6.5x54MS with 125grn bullet Velocity?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x54MS with 125grn bullet Velocity?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
Want to load up 125grn Partitions in the 6.5x54MS for Red Deer, Boar and Fallow.
What Velocity can I expect?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't remember what velocity I obtained with 125 bullets, but I do remember that they would not load from the magazine easily. I had to work on the feed ramp, to get them to lift. The rifle was designed for the long, round nosed 160 grainers.

One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I don't have a 6.5x55MS. I do have Load From a Disc.
According to them you can get to 2850 fps with 47.6 grs of Hodgdon's SuperPerformance.
This gives you a 100% load density and 47,961CUP.
I don't know your barrel length. I know a lot of older military rifles have longer barrels. I punched in a 26 inch barrel length. If yours is longer you may get more FPS, shorter less.
It list other powders but this one gives you a higher velocity with less pressure and a full case. I tend to start with a powder that does that. It often gives you the best uniformity in velocity and accuracy.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
In the 6,5x54M-S (not 6,5x55!) I had, with a 20 inch barrel I got about 2550 with either the 125 Nosler Partition or the 129 gr Hornady using Hodgdon 4350 or IMR 4831. Case life was excellent with Norma brass.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
Yes it's the 6.5x54 and barrel is 22".
Will be used on Stag, Boar, Fallow Deer and Chamois so expect some shots out to 300m so was hoping a little above the 2500fps.
is 2800fps to much to expect

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Looking at the Hodgdon web site

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

at data for the 260 Remington (DO NOT USE in the smaller 6,5x54), they do get over 2800 fps with the 125 gr Nosler in a 24" barrel, but the 260 is a bigger case than the 6,5x54 and the pressures it takes to get there are much higher than I'd want to run in a Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifle. That web site also shows data for the 6,5x55 Swedish Mauser, an even bigger case, just for comparison sake.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Adam

PM me with email and we can chat in depth. I might have your email - I'll look over the weekend.

If you have a rotary mag Mannlicher Schoenauer 1903 or similar, then the key is the magazine spool that is made specifically for the RN 160gr or 156 gr bullet.

Spire point bullets 120 to 140 gr can be temperamental in such rifles, not feeding, ammo jumping out etc. Same issue in the 1910 model 9.5X57MS.

In my 2 1903 MS rifles I got best results with the 268 Carcano bullets in 160gr. Hornady make them and they penetrate like crazy.

Slug your bore and see if it is 264 or 268 cal. Ken Waters Pet Loads is a good read.

With 160 gr bullets you should get 2250 fps easy. With the more blunt Norma 139gr bullets you can get around 2450 fps. Both are adequate for deer out to 200 meters. Ross Seyfried used it on Dall sheep at over 300 meters IIRC.

I do not recall trying 120 -125 in the MS. But I used a lot of the 125 gr Nosler Partition in my Sako & Winchester 6.5X55 and got great results - 2950 fps with good accuracy and almost 270 Win trajectory.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with orsonhunter. The 160G. R.N. is what the M/S 1903 was regulated for. PLEASE don't modify the feed ramp or any internal surface. Just shoot the 160G. It will do everything you need it to do. The only problem that I can foresee is that several years ago Hornady discontinued their 160 G. R.N.I Immediately bought all I could find before the inevitable "lack of components" clause kicked in. And as has been stated, the 6.5x54 is NOT the same as the Swede 6.5x55. I have built many rifles over the years using 98 + 03 actions but I always felt it would be a sacrilege to "modify" an M/S. Just my opinion but very true.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Apologies for not providing full details but the rifle is being built with a Brno 21 action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that should be an interesting rifle! The smaller case head diameter and potential issues with the feed ramps may make for interesting times. The M21 action is as slick as they come and not having to deal with the M-S rotary magazine would open all kinds of doors for using other bullet profiles.

Please keep us informed of the progress of your build.

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Shot the Rifle with 125grn Noslar Partitions.
No problem with feeding.
Got up to maximum load in my local book without pressure signs.
Want to achieve 2600fps so will load some more and run through Chronograph.
Good penetration with the Partitions on Fallow doe's through the shoulders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have the best small ring Mauser ever built, I'd go to work on a max load for that rifle and that rifle only, I wouldn't be surprised if you get 2700 or better FPS and walk on the heels of the 270....in that action you can seat bullets way out, it has an 06 magazine and all you need is a matching throat with those bullets seated out to math both..Much the same as blowing out the shoulder like an improved without the modifications...Ive done that dozens of times with the Brno mod 21 and 22 and G33-40 mauser.
Good move..Remember the Brno mod. 21 and 22 came in 6.5x57, 7x57,7x64 and 8x57 all with long throats and 30-06 length magazines..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Boy am I green with envy over both rifle and the chambering.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have never been one to push for excessive speed but I want to achieve approximately 2600fps out of the 6.5x54MS with 125grn Partitions for an up coming Stag hunt where shots up to 300m can be expected.
Not much information could be found on light projectile use as this round is typically used in the Manlicher action where the long heavy bullets are typically used.
Anyway, with 43 to 45 grains of AR2209 I achieved an average of 2670fps with no indications of pressure from a 22" Walther barrel.
Very happy with this result indeed.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a awesome rifle Oz, I use the 160gr in all my 6.5X53R & 6.5X54 rifles but only because I have to as the magazine dictates their use .

Say why did you use the small 6.5X54 MS in your fantastic Brno 21 & could we see a pic or two please ?

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Sarge,
Have owned the barrel for years and wanted to build up a light rifle for the girls and hunting an area of small plots that would be sufficient for Fallow, Red Deer and boar with little recoil, muzzle blast and be a propper classic.
this round does that.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a very cool little rifle. Glad you are keeping the 6.5MS alive, it’s 120 years old!

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Photos of this custom build, old style H&H stock take down, Prince of Wales Bollocks grip EST is posted on Facebook under "BCR" and Everything classic Safari and Stalking

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some loads that meet your needs in this old Lyman reloading manual.
http://www.nzha.co.nz/wp-conte.../2015/08/Lyman44.pdf

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thirdbite, thanks for that link. Brings back memories. It was the first load manual I ever owned, and I must have had it around for 30 years.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old Lyman manual showed about 2700 for 120gr and 2580 for 129gr, using 3031, 4895 and 4064; and a bit more for the 6.5x54 Steyr--the 6.5x53R, we'd call it. Don't know how theirs fed; my MS fed 150's and 160's best, my Hembrug 6.5x53R had no problem with any I tried, down to 120's. That action held up well on my buddy's 7x57, so I don't think there'd be much pressure problem, if any.
windy

Posts: 39 | Location: far from God's country | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Used this rifle a couple weeks ag on six Fallow with shots up to 300m.
Such a pleasure to use

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
It is indeed! I love that rifle + calibre.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You really need to post some pictures of the rifle!

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Haven't posted pictures since photobucket went through changes.
Are you on Facebook?
If so, then there is more information and photos on "BRITISH COLONIAL RIFLES" and E"VERYTHING SAFARI AND STALKING" Pages

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oz, I'd tried the Safari page a couple of days ago without any luck. Just tried the colonial rifle page and the pics popped right up.

Beautiful rifle! As the owner of two Brno 22Fs, I can imagine how slick that beauty must be. The original question I had about the rebarreling is how compatible the smaller casehead of the M-S round was with the standard bolt on the Brno is still on my mind. Was any reworking of the bolt (and the magazine follower too for that matter) needed to make the setup dependable?

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Hook,
the "Everything Safari and Stalking" page is private so needs to be invited or request access.
The extractor claw did work without altering but with some reworking It worked better.
So far there has been no feeding or extraction issues.
Shot three pigs with it on the weekend.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Can someone share those pages please? I probably WON<T be going to Spacebook where they share your information and are in bed with communists. Did I mention I don't like the political and antigun stances of SPACEBOOK? Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Photos of this custom build, old style H&H stock take down, Prince of Wales Bollocks grip EST is posted on Facebook under "BCR" and Everything classic Safari and Stalking

Thanks for the heads up. Some nice rifles there. Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote