New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Toy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was out this afternoon looking for a used Savage model 10 or 12 to use for the action to build my .260 and came across this gem at an Ace Hardware store. Its a Savage 12BVSS in .243 with a 26" fluted barrel and Accu-trigger. It belonged to a gentleman who won it through a raffle and decided to trade it for something else, so the store had to sell it as a used gun. Its brand new, never fired a shot and the papers, lock, ect. are still sealed in the bag from the factory. I didn't really want a .243, but for $550 I couldn't pass on that deal so it came home with me. I figure I can pull the barrel off and install a .260 pipe, then sell the .243 barrel to recover part of the cost.

Posts: 192 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to shoot it first before pulling the barrel. If she's a shooter I'd hold on to the barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rowdy,

Drop me a PM if you want to sell the barrel...

cheers
seafire
beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will do seafire, I know you were interested before when I first mentioned going this route in another thread so I'll give you first shot at it. I don't plan on doing anything with it for awhile though till I pay some of my credit card bill off so I can buy some decent glass.

I'm not sure yet what to do with it. I didn't really want a .243 because I've heard many people say they are harder on barrels and I like the ballistics of the 6.5 mm better and the conversion to .260 is a simple drop in. But I thought that price was pretty good since everywhere else I priced that model was at least $100 more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rowdy,

You did well on your purchase....

243's are not that hard on barrels if they are treated right....

you can't necessarily treat them like a 223.. but then again, they aren't made out of glass either...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rowdyredneck--Not sure what you intend to use the rifle for,but guessing hunting. Although on paper the .260 might look leaps and bounds ahead of a .243,a deer wont know the difference if you punch a hole in the right place. You'll read very frequently here that the .243 is marginal at best on deer and you need premium bullets,yada yada yada. I use cheap Winchester bulk packed 100 grainers in a .243 and they work great. I gave my grandson a .308 because I had one I figured he would like. He had hunted several years with a .243 and really the .308 is not doing a thing the .243 wasn't doing. Velocity is pretty much what gets barrels. Curious as to why a .260 with higher velocity would be easier on barrels?

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
That would make a great pd gun, right outa the box! Just add glass, and you're done...

I know you have your heart set on a 260, but I say leave that gun alone...

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no intention of hunting large game with it since I can't legally use a rifle to hunt deer in my state. The only type of hunting I might ever do with it would be varminting. If I ever want to go on a hunt in a different state I have my .270. This will mainly be a target rifle for punching paper and blowing up milk jugs at longer ranges.
Years ago I had a .243 for coyotes but I never shot it much and eventually traded it off. I've read conflicting reports on barrel life, some say as little as 1500 rounds and I've also heard the 6mm Remington is easier on barrels even though they are very similar. I'm not sure what to do with it yet. Ideally I should keep this barrel and buy another so I can swap them around. I'm not even sure what this barrel would be worth as a take off.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Do you have prarrie dogs where you live? That would make a killer prarrie dog gun. You should be able to smack em out to 500 yards with that baby.

I wouldn't worry about barrel life with a 243. A 260 would be every bit "as hard" on bbls as the 243. As long as you don't get the bbl "hot" while shooting it, keep your shot cadance slow, you should be able to shoot it all day. Good for thousands of rounds.

Plenty of good bullets available for 243/6mm. Look at the Berger bullets, if you want some good SD's on bullets.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No p-dogs within hundreds of miles unfortunately. Its mostly wide open crop land in this area. I'm in northeast Iowa and the closest dog shooting area would be South Dakota, probably at least 400 miles before I hit decent country. I would love to do it someday though.
The next best thing for me is filling gallon jugs with water and watching them explode. I can pop them out to 300 yards with my .223 but I want to try and double that distance with something flatter shooting which is what got me interested in the .260.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rowdy, Don't give up on the .243 yet!! It will do your intended purpose of "blowing up water jugs at 600 yards"!! If it will stabilize the 105 grain AMAXS it will bust stuff a long way out there! I LIKE THE .260!!! Using 140AMAXS it get's to ridicoulous distances quite well and does the deal! But you can have great fun with that .243 and the selection of projectiles for it is astronomical! As for a first test, I'd load 41.0 grains of VARGET and some 70 grain Nosler BT's!! Wink WinkBet it will like that load!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
ANyone tried the 57grain V-Max? I used them as a factory Hornaday load in my 243 for foxes, and the results were pretty spectacular on the couple that I shot with them. I can only imagine what they would do to water jugs.

Not sure about the 600yds bit though, althought they can really lick along.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 243 savage but it's not as pretty as yours. I've loaded 55 grain ballistic tips at close to 4000 fps which should be much flatter than any 260 load. I'd leave that rifle alone and go have fun with it.

Posts: 78 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote