New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako A1
 Login/Join

Picture of don teska
posted
Can anyone help me with trying to determine whether a Sako A1 17Rem (used) is worth 1600 dollars and how do I determine if it's an L461 action or an L61 or whatever action it is... Thank You in advance!!!

Posts: 4 | Location: somewhere in WY | Registered: 12 July 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
They are pretty rare. More than I’d pay because I already have one, but it’s not unreasonable if you want it and it’s pristine. I rather have an A series Sako over current production which cost as much or more.

I have an A1 Hunter in 17 Rem. I paid at least $1000 for mine about 20 years ago. That tiny bore is a pain to clean.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by don teska:
Can anyone help me with trying to determine whether a Sako A1 17Rem (used) is worth 1600 dollars and how do I determine if it's an L461 action or an L61 or whatever action it is... Thank You in advance!!!

AR forum member "stonecreek" is a good man to know when it comes to these rifles. Reach out to him, if he doesn't beat you to it. Unless there's another Sako fan using the same screen name, I assume he's the stonecreek that runs the Sako collectors' club forum.

Posts: 41 | Location: Canada | Registered: 24 June 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkimer:
quote:

This.

Stonecreek is as knowledgeable as they come regarding Sakos...and he IS a driving force with the SCC.

I know a bit about 'em (I have two L461s and two AIs). Can you post a pic of what you're looking at? It'll help...

Mark
AR forum member "stonecreek" is a good man to know when it comes to these rifles. Reach out to him, if he doesn't beat you to it. Unless there's another Sako fan using the same screen name, I assume he's the stonecreek that runs the Sako collectors' club forum.

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 600 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of don teska
posted Hide Post
thank's much guys! I'll try to get a pic tomorrow and post it. Thank you for the input thus far!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
A good pic(s) will help.

I've a bunch of these rifles, but.......Stone should be along shortly. He types much better/faster than I. Smiler

Friend Of The 17
Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Gullette:
A good pic(s) will help.

I've a bunch of these rifles, but.......Stone should be along shortly. He types much better/faster than I. Smiler

Friend Of The 17
Kevin

Maybe I type faster, but Kevin knows everything there is to know about the small action Sakos.

But to the point of your question: A rifle is worth what a willing buyer and willing seller can agree on. And the .17 in a factory chambered Sako is fairly scarce and usually brings a premium.

The A-I action will be so marked on the LH side and is merely a later updated version of the L461 -- the action designed for the .222 family of cartridges. The main difference in the two is that the A-I has a shrouded striker which provides a little extra protection in the case of a pierced primer. Otherwise the two actions are virtually identical. So far as I know Sako didn't start chambering the .17 until after the changeover to the A-I, so all of them will be A-I's. However, as Kevin can tell you, there are lots of H&R's and O'briens (along with a few Winslows and A&M's) out there in several .17 caliber variations on the older L461 action.

Posts: 13207 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
I've got an AI in. 17 rem. There are two barrel types, the 23" medium weight and the 20' lightweight hunter. I have the longer bbl with iron sights. One thing to look for on the bolt face with .17's is evidence gas cutting. Pierced primers are common if reloaders don't use proper primers, like RP 7.5's.

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
although normally i don't care what primer i use i will only use rem 7 1/2 in any of my 17's (i probably have 7 OR 8) when remington created the 17 they stated that their 7 1/2 primer gave the most consistent results and i have found that true

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Don,

Try here: https://sakocollectors.com/forum/

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sako AI, in 17Rem, was also available in the factory varmint stocked heavy barrel.

The one I have is a repeater(with hinged floorplate), with the Sako factory target trigger......complete with the two holes through the trigger guard, for trigger adjustments.

I think Sako also made this version in 223Rem.(Edit: Also the 222Rem)

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
l bought an A1 .17rem (factory sporter) three years ago. Unfortunately the barrel was too poor so l pulled it and build a 6x222rem instead, just for fun.
l paid £250

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A1 and all A series are a later Sako with a bulbos cocking peice, not to my likeing, but last of the great sakos IMO..

The L-series have a Mauser like cocking piece, and the smaller calibers have a clip fed action and Mauser type cocking peice also..The L series are wonderful Sakos and beautifully made.

The damn bean counters ruined Sako IMO...$1600 is more than Id pay..As much as I like the early Sakos they are hard to sell in every case..Id look for an L-series in whatever caliber for $1000 or so...a mint gun for $1200..try the gun shows, sometimes the enternet is just looking for a sucker, they put a gun on the rags and just let it sit there for a long time...but don;t care if it sells...it works I guess..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a few A1 sako rifles, my 17 rem happens to be a custom. Condition is alway critical in value of a gun, but I think $1600 is high by $3-400, if it’s a deluxe model, I’d say it’s over priced by $200.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Yes, hat tip to Kevin. I got a little tunnel vision thinking of the hunter version that Dr. Lou mentioned and that I have. There was the varmint versions and earlier AI's with the knurled bolt knob, they did not have the perfected hunter style stock- (solid red pad vs plastic buttplate, oval fore end, grip swell) but wear the more angular stock. (For lack of better descriptor)

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of don teska
posted Hide Post
Great responses from everyone and I appreciate your time and knowledge!!! Sorry for not getting back sooner but things came up... I'm gonna try posting a couple pics if my wife will help but not sure if rifle is still available. Appreciate all of you!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
They are pretty rare. More than I’d pay because I already have one, but it’s not unreasonable if you want it and it’s pristine. I rather have an A series Sako over current production which cost as much or more.

I have an A1 Hunter in 17 Rem. I paid at least $1000 for mine about 20 years ago. That tiny bore is a pain to clean.

Amen to the small bore cleaning PIA. I opted for the 6mm PPC for that reason and for the fact that the heavier 6mm bullet bucks the wind much better than the .22.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the thread has popped-up again.....

I'll add a pic of the Sako 6PPC Sporter, that I built into a 17PPC......long ago.

Kevin

one of us
posted Hide Post
The L461 was chambered in .17 Remington. Not sure whether you saw them in the USA but we certainly did in Australia. I owned one which was manufactured in 1977. It now has a new barrel in .223 and was presented to my son on his 18th birthday. They aren’t particularly rare here. Sako, Tikka and Remington .17’s were very popular in the late 1970’s and early 80’s when fox skins were valuable.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Here is a change I made yrs ago (35 to 40 yrs) on a Sako bolt shroud. I didn't like the new style which was too much curve so I squared it up a little by welding up and recut the shape I wanted.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done, Les!

Kevin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a very pretty stock. I wouldn't dare take it out.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LesBrooks: You must have gotten that severely colored-up wood with all of the confusing grain running every-which-away at a big discount. I know that Kevin Gullette always shops for such bargain pieces for his Sakos. He calls those stocks the ones with "squiggly" wood. He apparently can't afford the good stuff with a nice, even color and almost invisible grain, so he takes those squiggly ones like yours off the bottom of the pile.

Posts: 13207 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Stonecreek you sure know wood and if you look down at the bottom you could find some pretty straight grain blanks at give away prices. If you need a few more pictures of Kevin's or my own selection I have several of stocks made on the Sako actions as customers requested.

I only wanted to show the shroud changes made and this is the first one I found in my picture album.
We stocked Sako's, Browning, and FM actions for building customs rifles at Knight's Gun Store in Ft Worth some 50 yrs ago.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A bit off-topic.......

Speaking of Knight's Gun Store.....and nice wood.......this one came out of there, circa 1968.

A cohort of Les'.......Lou Williamson built this nice martini for my late friend. Another friend has a Sako L46 Lou built with the same style forend(scalloped/fish-bellied??)

I'm sure Les recalls the old days.....

Kevin

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO, the only wood worth a custom stock is normally European, Russian,Turkish or if you can find it French walnut...Claro, black,etc is cork wood IMO

On very rare ocassions Ive seen and have a sako stocked in blood red and black claro, thats hard as wood pecker lips but its rare indeed depending mostly because of where its grown..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:

My sentiments exactly. leaning the .224 bore is a PIA too, and that's precisely why I chose my Sako A-1 in 6mm PPC caliber. It's a dream to shoot AND easy to clean~!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Try to find an L461 in any caliber for less money~!!

Picture of don teska
posted Hide Post
all of you are great!! I'm loving the pics and conversations with you folks! The more everyone posts the more I realize how little I know!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The L-46 is a mauser looking SAko with a clip feed, very nice action and rifles, and most of all it is a Rhaiimaki model and so stamped and comes in 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222, 222mag and 223...The L-461 is basically the same as the L46 but has bottom meta and comes it various calibers up to and including the 308, 284 7-08 243 etc...Both are outstanding rifles.. they have other minor changes but this is the quick way to identify.. The later A series has a bulbus cocking peice and cheaped out and the beginning of the end of Sako IMO..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure that Ray meant to say that the Sako L579 action was used for the 243 and 308 sized cartridges.

BTW....to stay on topic....here's a pic of an old custom 17Rem Sako with Shilen barrel, that I traded for long ago at our local gunshow. Bedded...re-finished(I was thinking it was a Fajen Aristocrat stock)....re-checkered......came out pretty good.

Kevin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kevin,
Im thinking the L-461 was the mod. between the L-46 prior to the L-561, and it was also a 222, 223, perhaps 22-250 It was in effect a mini/Mauser so you are correct the L-561 a midsize action, came later and it came in 308, 243, etc.had a Sako version of the mauser type cocking peice, mauser bottom metal. thanks for the wake up call... Eeker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120