Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading 'light' loads
 Login/Join

posted
I am going to try and come up with a lighter load for my Ruger M77 so my grandson can shoot comfortably. He is tall but rather slight of build. About what I was at same age, (skinny) not a lot of padding on his shoulders as of yet. I recall reading somewhere that a guy said to start at 60% or maximum and then slowly work up from there. All my reloading books recommend starting at 10% off max and work up. Anything to the 60% story????

Posts: 4 | Location: Grand Forks, ND | Registered: 12 December 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Limpy, you didn't mention what your grandson will be using the rifle for. If not hunting, use cast bullets and you can get very mild loads.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Search for .. light loads with hodgden h 4895 you can load down to 60 present of max loads if it is listed for your caliber.

Posts: 54 | Location: PNW | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to put your post on the Big Bores forum, yes that's right, the Big Bores forum. There is more knowledge on reloading on Big Bores than any other forum on AccurateReloading and doubly so for reduced loads. Also, include what calibre/cartridge you are reloading.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What cartridge?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66766 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys. I am using a .243 with 87 grain ballistic tips and 38 grains of 4895 currently. I myself am struggling with shoulder problems so am looking for a lighter load. I like the suggestion about Big bore section. Will check that out, even though my 243 is not even close to what I consider a big bore!

Posts: 4 | Location: Grand Forks, ND | Registered: 12 December 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Here is the answer to my shoulder problem to reduce recoil.
You/ him could also wear a pad under you hunting clothes.
Keep the standard load.
You can barley feel and recoil. With the 270 or 25/06.
The 243 will be less.

https://www.caldwellshooting.c...ing-rests/lead-sled/

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can barley feel and recoil...

Not sure what cereal has to do with the OP’s question, but no “recoil pad” will help a slightly built 12-year-old very much, it’s simple physics. What works for an adult may not for the small and recoil shy. Add muzzle blast and reduced loads are the way to go. The OP got better answers in his other, “identical” thread.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Sir
I would want to tell you that muzzle blast and recoil speed are probably what will bother the boy the most. Solve both with a 100 grain round nose and 2100-2200 FPS using pistol powder or one 4759 if you can find some. Excellent blue dot loads from others posted here over the years. Less powder makes quiet loads and slows down the recoil. Let me know if you need more specific help.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
They were made popular by Seafire starting ~2003.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com...umber/2232327/page/1
He is on lots of forums and will respond to email or private message.

If I were loading 243 with Blue Dot it would be based on Quickload:
55 gr 17 gr 25kpsi 2700 fps
55 gr 21 gr 35kpsi 3000 fps

105 gr 14 gr 24kpsi 1900 fps
105 gr 17.5 gr 35kpsi 2150 fps

All in between bullet weight loads could be interpolated.
For those of you in Rio Linda, that means 17 gr Blue Dot will work with any 243 bullet weight.
Copied from another website.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
BULLET WEIGHT100 GR. SPR BTSP
ManufacturerHodgdon
PowderTrail Boss
Bullet Diameter0.243"
C.O.L.2.650"
Starting Load
Grains8.0
Velocity (ft/s)1,045
Pressure27,300 CUP
Maximum Load
Grains15.3
Velocity (ft/s)1,603
Pressure39,100 CUP
Buy Now

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies and hints/help. I have been down with the 'beer' or 'china' virus for the past week. Have not even gone out deer hunting with either rifle or bow this past week. Kind of like a bad cold for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With AA5744 the rule of thumb is 40% of the case capacity in grains of powder. I found it terrific for reduced loads.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I use the 5744 powder for almost all of my cast rifle loads these days. Also when I have had a question on any loads I just called their ballistician on their 1 800 #, told him caliber + bullet weight + he gave me immediate data. Great customer service.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote