New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anschutz 1771
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone shooting this rifle in 17 hornet?
If so, how’s accuracy?
Any other comments on the rifle?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an Anschutz 1771 in .17 Hornet last year, after zeroing it my first shot at a rabbit at 211 yard head shot, and I have killed a great many foxes with it

It is very accurate, I have to clean it after about 25 shots as accuracy declines thereafter.

Even though the .17 Hornet is a lovely cartridge, I am not that fond of the 1771 when compared to their older 54 actions.

The bolt handle is swept back too much for my liking, the grasping ball is made of polymer and is very large.

The magazine sticks down below the underside of the stock too much and has a plastic base which came loose and had to re-tighten it.

I find the stock big and bulky and the rifle over all heavy for firing such a light cartridge as the .17 Hornet.

It is very difficult to slip a cartridge in the chamber by hand as one could do with the older 54 actions.

When cycling the bolt rearward to load a cartridge in the chamber sometimes the top cartridge gets pulled back over the next one below it causing its rim to move over the one below and cause a jam.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the detailed report. I have a couple 54 action 22h rifles so I understand your comments.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote