New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Nosler?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm not particularly a black rifle guy, but my son has built them in 223, 243, 6.8 spc and 338 federal. Their accuracy rivals the best of my bolt guns.

Seems Nosler is going small rather than big with their latest.

your thoughts?

https://www.americanrifleman.o...-go-home-22-nosler/#

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am curious of the case capacity. If when necked up it can push a 140/.277, 150/.284, or 168/.308 at 2650 plus that would be a very kewl all around rifle in an AR platform.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesJust what we needed !!! NOT.

oldIn the last eleven years or so I've noticed an increasing change at the range. Last Wed. I swear That at least 70% of the rifles on the line were AR types or something similar along military lines. Not my cup of tea but it's a new day and the youthful majority will have their way.
old Personally I know that new cartridges are going to make old standby ammo and cases more difficult to come by. Most of these semi auto rifle shooters don't reload so they really aren't affected as much. They seem to be buying ammo in bulk quantities for the most part ( military ammo cans and boxes filled to the brim ).

Perhaps the AR type market will prove Nosler's management is making some smart moves to make a
short term profit . Duration will I'm sure, be affected by continued interest and competition.

popcorn roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Seems everyone is roasting Nosler on their facebook page over this. Reinventing the .22-250 on an AR platform.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well there are lots of ignorant people. I rarely get excited about new developments but the weight difference between an AR 10 vs. an AR 15 is very noticeable - if the 22 Nosler can be necked up a produce 308 class velocities (2650 fps+) with bullet weights as I noted above, I think it will be very popular.

Does anyone know the case capacity of the 22 nosler?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/22-nosler/

34.7 grains of water.

I don't think you'll be able to get to .308 velocity levels without pressure issues.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
On the AR platform it makes a lot of sense.
I have a 6x45 barrel on an AR right now, when I'm done playing with it I may have it reamed to the 24 Nosler. Sounds fun already nearly .243 performance in an AR15.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kjjm4:
https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/22-nosler/

34.7 grains of water.

I don't think you'll be able to get to .308 velocity levels without pressure issues.
If you recheck, each bullet weight has a different case capacity noted - so I believe the 34.7grs is the net case capacity with the 55gr bullet.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of rebating of that case...

.223 case head and the web is what 0.05" wider? I brought a .26 nosler and the velocities claimed didn't quite pan out, even with factory loads.

We shall see how well it works. I for one won't be an early adopter.

Posts: 10600 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Uppers are on sale through midway for $499

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
If you want a great deer cartridge you could always neck the 22 Nosler up to .270. That would give you a.......... 6.8 SPC with a rebated rim. Big Grin

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice round for ak74 we could call it 5,56 Russian Smiler

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like any of these new offerings, it will depend on factor support. Cheap and available ammo and guns will go a long way.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Roll EyesJust what we needed !!! NOT.

oldIn the last eleven years or so I've noticed an increasing change at the range. Last Wed. I swear That at least 70% of the rifles on the line were AR types or something similar along military lines. Not my cup of tea but it's a new day and the youthful majority will have their way.
old Personally I know that new cartridges are going to make old standby ammo and cases more difficult to come by. Most of these semi auto rifle shooters don't reload so they really aren't affected as much. They seem to be buying ammo in bulk quantities for the most part ( military ammo cans and boxes filled to the brim ).

Perhaps the AR type market will prove Nosler's management is making some smart moves to make a
short term profit . Duration will I'm sure, be affected by continued interest and competition.

popcorn roger beer

archer

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will stick with my 6mm Hagar.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
If you want a great deer cartridge you could always neck the 22 Nosler up to .270. That would give you a.......... 6.8 SPC with a rebated rim. Big Grin

The 6.8spc is not the parent case for the 22 Nosler. The 22 Nosler case has a longer body and the OAL is longer than the 6.8 case.

Tony

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Interesting development, and thanks for sharing! While I'm not the biggest AR advocate (they're cool, but u-g-l-y), the development of new products for that platform propels the shooting industry forward. Instead of an autoloading gun, my mind immediately went to a superlight bolt gun. Imagine the 22 Nosler in a Kimber Mountain Ascent or similiar! That would be some hot stuff!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
284win and 219wasp had a baby.

The possibility of an AR 357 Herrett is exciting, though.

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think all that any one needs is a 30-06 end of discussion. Roll Eyes

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AHHHHH, there it is again, the basic human need to attack and kill anything new or different... or start piling on and splitting hairs and not see the advantages that comes with progress. Mad BOOM

Of course there is absolutely no NEED FOR THIS CARTRIDGE, lots of other already available cartridges do as well or better...BUT...that isn't the point...this cartridge/platform is for todays advocates... "THE BLACK RIFLE BRIGADE"... and the "moldy oldies from the rusty dusty era" really need to circle the wagons and maintain their status quo. Big Grin

I think it is totally neat and cool and I'm ordering that side charge upper, one of each - mag/box ammo, and dies just as soon as I finish venting. tu2 Big Grin

I just finished my 450 Bushmaster and changing out an upper is WAY EASIER than doing a barrel change way back in my benchrest days or swapping a barrel in one of my other switch barrel receivers.

Carrying an extra upper or two is also much easier than carting around a completer rifle or two. clap

Saving 50 bucks isn't all that bad either...that's a couple of mags or a couple boxes of ammo or a set of dies or a couple boxes of bullet or almost a box of brass. Cool

Maybe someone will start coming out with similar relatively cheaper assemblies for the AR-10 platform so we can take advantage of the higher pressures limits...how about a 375 to 500 cal WSM or B&M...or a "50 Beowulf for Dinner." shocker lol

Luck beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 50 Krater is available for the AR-10.

Basically a Remington Ultra Mag cut off, straight walled, using 500 SW bullets. Tosses a 300gr bullet out at 2600fps.

Tony

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OHHHHHYEAH...Who does the barrel, dies, etc...if it's on the net I'll find it.

I've often thought about what can be accomplished on the AR-10 platform but the cost of all the wildcat components basically kept me from doing anything about it...custom pieces and parts can really chew up my beer money.

Thanks for the info, Tony, Mad, now you've done it...hahahahaha tu2

Luck beer

UPDATE...Couldn't find much on the 50 KRATER but what I did seems to indicate it's very similar to the 50 B&M with the rim cut to .473" dimensions...definitely a 50 Beowulf MAGNUM tool.

one of us
posted Hide Post
P dog, they done stepped on our curmudgeon shoes again!! rotflmo I hate Black Rifles, they look like Buck Rogers zappers, they is ment to kill folk, not mamals, it nothing but infringements of societys moral character!! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...Right on Ray...they DO come in other colors...even Pepto-Bismol PINK. THAT one made me step outside behind the building almost.

Think a 475 B&M in a nice shade of Dark Earth would do the trick on the Dark Continent or Arctic Camo for Polar Bear? Big Grin

Luck beer

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
A 6.5/22 nosler in an AR-15 Platform would be nice.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People have been necking down the 6.8 SPC to 22 caliber and getting the same results as this cartridge. There was a website selling barrels for them already. 6.8SPC brass i'm sure is cheaper than the new Nosler brass and more plentiful.

I have been looking at a 22-6.5Grendel. 75gr bullet at 3100fps from a 20" barrel.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
quote:
they is ment to kill folk, not mamals, sofa

So is 1903 Springfields and 93, 95, 98 Mausers, etc.....haha

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palladin8:
People have been necking down the 6.8 SPC to 22 caliber and getting the same results as this cartridge.

I think the only thing special about the 22 nosler is the 223 case head. I guess that saves changing out the bolt?

It's success will come down to price/availability of ammo and guns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MOE, shut the hell up, you done ruint my Post! killpc jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guys FWIW,

The H2o capacity of the 22 Nosler fired brass,
in my sample was 37.4 grs, flat meniscus,
114.7 grs empty, with primer,
152.1 grs H2o, with primer.

From the sample I have, there seems to be a fairly tight chamber,
as there is very little expansion just above the web area,
primer is normal appearing, there is a ejector mark,
and the line from bolt face extractor area,
consistent with the AR type bolts.

The diameter of the base, below the web expansion area,
just above the extractor groove measures measures .416.4",
across the web expansion area measures .418.5"
case neck thickness is .012/.013" (4 places checked)
length measures 1.475".

Tia,
Don

Posts: 19 | Location: Western NV | Registered: 19 June 2016Reply With Quote