Find
Notify
Tools

Sako S491
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Howdy gents,

I know the Sako L461 is legendary for being a sweet scaled-action for the little rounds and I own 3 of them along with 3 bigger iterations from Sako in the same era.

BUT, what about the S491? (1992-1997?)
I just bought one and have yet to place my hands upon it and wondering what some of you think about it. I know a little about it like dimensions are a bit larger for the bolt body etc and so the weight is greater.

Any real-world users out there who can share their experiences?

Thinking about another 20 VarTarg if the 222 Rem doesn't shoot really well.

Thanks in advance.

Zeke

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have built quite a few rifles on this action.

I like it very much indeed.

I like all Sako actions.

As far as I am concerned they are the best European made actions today.

I really do not like any of some of the new, silly actions coming from Germany and Austria!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66687 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're already aware that the S491 has a larger diameter receiver and bolt body than the L461, so it is somewhat heavier. This is of little concern if you're making a varmint-type rifle, but does somewhat negate the advantage of a well-scaled action for the .222 family, especially if you're planning a lightweight sporter.

There were some problems with the safety on this series, but not all actions experienced it. I own only one Sako of this generation (an L691) and it functions fine. Some people don't like the bolt-on recoil lug, however it works as well as one which is integral. I've never messed with the trigger on this series, but mine seems okay.

If you already own a .20 Vartarg then you know what a delightful round it is. You just can't have too many of those.

Posts: 13207 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have built quite a few rifles on this action.

I like it very much indeed.

I like all Sako actions.

As far as I am concerned they are the best European made actions today.

I really do not like any of some of the new, silly actions coming from Germany and Austria!

Thanks Saeed! I value your opinion....usually. haha

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
You're already aware that the S491 has a larger diameter receiver and bolt body than the L461, so it is somewhat heavier. This is of little concern if you're making a varmint-type rifle, but does somewhat negate the advantage of a well-scaled action for the .222 family, especially if you're planning a lightweight sporter.

There were some problems with the safety on this series, but not all actions experienced it. I own only one Sako of this generation (an L691) and it functions fine. Some people don't like the bolt-on recoil lug, however it works as well as one which is integral. I've never messed with the trigger on this series, but mine seems okay.

If you already own a .20 Vartarg then you know what a delightful round it is. You just can't have too many of those.

Great info Mr Stonecreek!

Yessir, it will have a varmint taper barrel like the factory 222 that this one comes with, replete with beavertail forend.

I did not know about the safety issues so I'll have to check this one out closely when it arrives. It's getting shipped today so maybe I'll have it toward the end of the week.

The safety is a bit concerning since I have been unable to find anyone who makes an after-market trigger. Some say it's "like" a Tikka but I have no knowledge of what that will mean to me if I need a better trigger.

Thank you both for the feedback!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got my hands on the S491.Yeah!

It's a pretty sweet little action. While it's not quite as "scaled" as the L461, it's still quite petite and the Sako is obviously well made.

The action should serve me well for it's intended purpose and I would not hesitate buying another should the need/want arise.

Thanks again, all, for the input and wisdom.

Zeke