THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Is the 257 Weatherby the Ultimate in Smaller Hunting Rifle Calibers
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the 257 Weatherby the Ultimate in Smaller Hunting Rifle Calibers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Smiler

I want to buy my teenage daughter a lighter rifle to use to hunt in Africa and the US with me. She isn't a particularly large young lady, so I thought I would try to keep booth weight and size down, while keeping recoil to a minimum for a new centerfire shooter.

For me, and with my now older son, I always started with the 270 Winchester in bolt action hunting rifles. I have 270s of course but they are Hill Country customized Model 70s in long barrels and rather long stocked in McMillan Supergrade stocks. These really don't fit her so I said I will get a rifle just for you.

The options I have been kicking around include the 257 and the 25-06 Remington. I already have dies and lots of new Winchester 25-06 brass from a rifle for a friend. I have and like the Weatherby calibers, but all my rifles are now in Model 70. I would get her a new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight and have Hill Country rifles stock it with the Edge stock and probably install a muzzle brake for use for just bench shooting.

Then I thought I'd look at the 257 Weatherby in the Mark V Ultra Light rifle. Unbelievably our large gun store here that used to have a rack full of Weatherby's had absolutely no Mark Vs and a couple of Vanguards - sigh - my dinosaur tail get longer by the day I see.

The 257 certainly was a popular Weatherby caliber and Roy Weatherby's favorite. I am not sure the Ultra Light Weight is the best fit for her so I still have to sort that out.

Looking at the 257 specs it is still hot, in spite of hundreds of other so called better calibers available today especially the 6.5s which are so popular. In Africa she won't be going for anything larger, so I believe the 257 ( or 25-06 ) can handle most of the smaller and intermediate sized plains game. I think Roy shot a buffalo with his 257, but nothing like that is on the menu for her. Impala and hartebeest and springbok sized animals, and of course deer here in the US.

One question I have is whether the Barnes loads for the 257, which as loaded by Weatherby run about 3500 fps with the 100 grain Barnes bullet, will hold up if the animal is shot at a shorter range. If for instance she gets a 50 yard shot, I hate to think about the Barnes fragmenting at the blistering speed at short range. Thats 300-400 fps faster than a 25-06. Whew.

I thought I'd get some inputs from the source here at AR.

Thanks guys.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a .257 Wby for years at Deer sized game and one of my favorite bullets is the 100 grain TSX by Barnes. You have no worries with it fragmenting at any distance. I also really like the 115 or 120 grain Nosler Partition. A grandson shot a 180 pound Whitetail buck at 150 yards head on. Entrance between neck and shoulder, found the perfectly mushroomed bullet just under the skin of a ham by the tail. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had two .257 Wea Mags . One a West German Mark 5 and a early Dakota 76 , so not a expert.Both 26” barrels. Ballistics were pretty much as advertised per my chronograph.

Both rifles were very finicky on what loads they liked. I burned up $500 worth of reloading components and probably part of the barrel on the Mark 5. I took the rifle on a successful Rocky Mountain Bighorn hunt and sold it when I got back from the hunt.The Dakota went down the road shortly there after .After coming back to my senses I bought a 1951 pre64 Win Mod 70 .270 and never looked back. Same amount of recoil , less finicky, accurate with most everything I load for it. Still love the .340 & .300 Weatherby cartridges but would not spend any more time with the .257 Weatherby. Just my experiences , I am sure others out there love them.

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TexKd--You mentioned 25-06 as an alternative. 4WD nailed it. You wont notice any difference in recoil from a .270 vs a 25-06. Go with .270 in that case. For Texas hunting a .243 and yes even a .223 would be plenty. If you can afford taking your kids to Africa, buying her two or three rifles should be no problem.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that about the 257 being finicky before. And in the Ultra Light Weight Mark V I have heard that too with the pencil barrel. Some shoot and some require uhhhh patience and work.

Ok flame suit on . . . I might need it.

One reason I looked at the Weatherby for her was I thought she might buy into it as something a bit more special. She just goes with what I say of course, but I was hoping that the difference of the Weatherby might interest her more if that makes sense.

The other was, for my Weatherby calibers including my favorite on the M-70 which is a 300 Weatherby, I had never previously reloaded for the Weatherby's. I just used the Weatherby ammo which is good. And also which is kind of pricey. I said when I had a big reduction in calibers here a few years ago I would not buy anything that I did not have dies for - which the 257 is something I do not have dies for. You know that goes - one online order and Im in with 257. Ha. A couple of years ago I purchased the Redding 300 Weatherby dies and loading for my 300 was one of the easiest loads and developments I ever loaded. Heck it shot them all good and all fast too. If anything maybe a bit too fast. My luck on that may not continue to the 257 though.

I don't disagree at all about the 270. It's the Genesis of rifle calibers for me. I just need to get her started reading some Jack OConnor books. Wink

Thanks guys.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
As much as I like the .257 Wby I'm not sure I would choose it for a kids first rifle. It requires a 26 inch barrel and as nice as the Ulta lightweight Weatherby's are I think a shorter barrel would be easier for a young kid to handle.

How about something like a .260 or 7mm-08? Both can be had in a package that's smaller, lighter and much easier for a small kid to handle. Just a thought.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
As much as I like the .257 Wby I'm not sure I would choose it for a kids first rifle. It requires a 26 inch barrel and as nice as the Ulta lightweight Weatherby's are I think a shorter barrel would be easier for a young kid to handle.

How about something like a .260 or 7mm-08? Both can be had in a package that's smaller, lighter and much easier for a small kid to handle. Just a thought.

This is great advice. The 7mm-08 is a great choice. A Winchester Model 70 FW 7mm-08 makes about a perfect combination for a young hunter.
Shooting Federal Premium 140 gr Nosler Partitions this round anchors whitetails, with very light recoil. I imagine you would get similar results with the .260.

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexKD:
Smiler

I want to buy my teenage daughter a lighter rifle to use to hunt in Africa and the US with me. She isn't a particularly large young lady, so I thought I would try to keep booth weight and size down, while keeping recoil to a minimum for a new centerfire shooter.

For me, and with my now older son, I always started with the 270 Winchester in bolt action hunting rifles. I have 270s of course but they are Hill Country customized Model 70s in long barrels and rather long stocked in McMillan Supergrade stocks. These really don't fit her so I said I will get a rifle just for you.

The options I have been kicking around include the 257 and the 25-06 Remington. I already have dies and lots of new Winchester 25-06 brass from a rifle for a friend. I have and like the Weatherby calibers, but all my rifles are now in Model 70. I would get her a new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight and have Hill Country rifles stock it with the Edge stock and probably install a muzzle brake for use for just bench shooting.

Then I thought I'd look at the 257 Weatherby in the Mark V Ultra Light rifle. Unbelievably our large gun store here that used to have a rack full of Weatherby's had absolutely no Mark Vs and a couple of Vanguards - sigh - my dinosaur tail get longer by the day I see.

The 257 certainly was a popular Weatherby caliber and Roy Weatherby's favorite. I am not sure the Ultra Light Weight is the best fit for her so I still have to sort that out.

Looking at the 257 specs it is still hot, in spite of hundreds of other so called better calibers available today especially the 6.5s which are so popular. In Africa she won't be going for anything larger, so I believe the 257 ( or 25-06 ) can handle most of the smaller and intermediate sized plains game. I think Roy shot a buffalo with his 257, but nothing like that is on the menu for her. Impala and hartebeest and springbok sized animals, and of course deer here in the US.

One question I have is whether the Barnes loads for the 257, which as loaded by Weatherby run about 3500 fps with the 100 grain Barnes bullet, will hold up if the animal is shot at a shorter range. If for instance she gets a 50 yard shot, I hate to think about the Barnes fragmenting at the blistering speed at short range. Thats 300-400 fps faster than a 25-06. Whew.

I thought I'd get some inputs from the source here at AR.

Thanks guys.

I shoot 2 257 Weatherbys, it’s not the most efficient round to shoot but sure as hell its fun! And it’s really something unique here. My 28inch barrel version equals or betters factory ammo and my 24” version is about 30-50FPS slower than factory spec.

My rifles are sub moa with most loads. Factory stuff is very difficult to get here. However, handloading iz not a problem. I mostly use 100gr Barnes TTSX or the 110gr Accubond. Mine also has a silencer which means no recoil and muzzle blast. I’ve taken everything from jackal to kudu. Funnily enough it’s the cartridge I’ve had the most DRTS with. I believe it’s one of those cartridges that punch a bit higher than their ballistics suggest.

At the end of the day common sense will dictate a 25-06 or 270 but if you want something unique get the .257. It sure is one fine looking cartridge.

Posts: 386 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my take. I would highly recommend the Browning X-Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed with the muzzle brake in 6.5 Creedmore. My is super accurate, basically same hole groups, 7.5 lbs scoped, and the recoil is nothing. Easy for a young lady. Not cheap, about a grand before the scope but it shoots like or better than a custom rifle.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
What is her tolerance to recoil and muzzle blast?
I hate to sound like I'll rain on your parade but if this is a rifle she will keep forever a 25/06 may be the better choice between the 2 or even a different cartridge choice.
The downside I see with the 257 WBY is recoil and muzzle blast for a small stature shooter and ammunition availability when you are gone and not loading for her.
Maybe you should get yourself a 257 WBY and get her something more practical or suited to her stature? 257 Roberts, 25/06, 6.5 Creedmore or 6.5x.284 or other various 6.5's, just a thought.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 257 wby is a custom on a Sako actio? It has been a death ray on deer, antelope and coyotes.
However, I would not recommend it for a young persons first rifle. What I would recommend, for deer size and smaller is, 7/08, 260, or 25/06.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a couple 25-06's for several decades now but have no experience with the 257 Wby. I did own a 270 Wby that shot extremely well but it went down the road to fund airfare for a sheep hunt. It recoiled about like my 7mm Rem Mag.

I've killed a train-car load of game with the 100 Partiton from the 25-06 and anyone can shoot it well.

The 25-06 can be built on any long, std bolt-face action and it sounds like you're all set up for it anyway.

I'd go that route but we, as gun nuts, do what we want and I expect you'll do the same.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
What is her tolerance to recoil and muzzle blast?
I hate to sound like I'll rain on your parade but if this is a rifle she will keep forever a 25/06 may be the better choice between the 2 or even a different cartridge choice.
The downside I see with the 257 WBY is recoil and muzzle blast for a small stature shooter and ammunition availability when you are gone and not loading for her.
Maybe you should get yourself a 257 WBY and get her something more practical or suited to her stature? 257 Roberts, 25/06, 6.5 Creedmore or 6.5x.284 or other various 6.5's, just a thought.

I agree. None of us know your daughter, but the last thing you want to do is give her something that will make her gun shy. Do whatever you can to give her what SHE wants in a rifle! What could possibly be more special than that?

Posts: 10130 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have both .257wby and 25-06. I find no real difference in performance between them. The 25-06 is a bit easier to load for and brass is cheap. In your application, would rather use a 7/08! Don't bother with short barrels in the hot 25's.

Posts: 23 | Location: left coast usa | Registered: 08 April 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for , the Camilla from Weatherby sure looks like a nice option . I am a fan of the rifles they offer . As well as the company is committed to the future of hunting . Best of luck in your search .

I Might Be Tired From Hunting ,
But I Will Never Tire Of Hunting .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend a Remington model seven in a .260, 6.5 CM, or a 7mm-08.
They all hit hard with 130-140gr bullets , recoil is minimal, and are a joy to handle and carry.
Weatherby isn't the best choice for a light weight younger , new hunter.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Tex
I agree with Jeff about the model 7 or a model 70 featherweight in 6.5x55 either of them light and accurate very little recoil and versatile 120 ttsx to 160. Hard to do better than one of the 6.5 I've used them for many years before they were cool 264WM/6.5x55/6.5x57R in a Zoli combination.
Take care and have fun with your daughter whatever you pick. Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went 6.5x55 for my 10 year old exactly because it was different and he could always talk / think about it that way.

I shoot the 257 Wby and I wouldn't recommend it for a new shooter. The Camillas are pretty nice and are certainly distinctive. You could consider a 30-06 with reduced recoil loads or 7-08.

I went with the Tikka for my son and cut down a stock for a perfect fit. As he grows, I will put the wood back on.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I have shot deer sized animals with 308, 7-08, 280, 7mm mag, 270 Weatherby and 257 Weatherby. The 257 Weatherby Vanguard is the most fun to shoot. It seems to me the felt recoil is less than some of those mentioned above. I am not a very big guy and am recoil sensitive. My Vanguard shoots factory loads in under an inch. But what you should want to know is it consistent with the first shot from a cold barrel. Yes mine is. I keep thinking I want an OOH, AAAAAAAH rifle in 257 but whatever I get will not outshoot the one I have. If she likes the 257 get it. It will be her gun let her decide.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with cowboy in regards to the felt recoil of the .257 Weatherby as my Vanguard has less felt recoil than a .270 or .30-06. I, too, use 100 grain TTSX. In Africa, my buddy and I took 27 animals with our .257 Weatherbys and the TTSX. The animals ranged in size from an oribi to a kudu. Our PHs were extremely impressed with the caliber.

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never tried the TTSX but did load 115 Nosler partitions.
I re-barreled mine with a Wiseman pipe years ago after shooting out the original barrel.
That barrel is a bit heavier than the stock barrel. Mine is fairly heavy so I would not want to tote it around much however it is a very steady rig for long range hunting.
Never had an animal even twitch after being hit with it. It has only been used for deer sized animals.
Being heavy there is little felt recoil.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I would go either 25-06 or 270 for her. I have a 257 Wby, and I love it. But for a brand new shooter? First, it's LOUD. If you put a brake on it, it will be even louder. Much more muzzle pressure than a 25-06. I blew the sky screens off of my chrony with my little Wby. And that was after shooting a 30-06 and a 338 Win mag from the same position.

Sometimes when a new shooter develops a flinch, it's not really because of the kick, but a reaction to the noise.

I'd put the recoil on par with the 270 in identical rifles, so if you're thought is she isn't really prepared for the recoil of a 270, then maybe think about this. Recoil equal, but muzzle blast much louder on the Wby.

Or how about the good old 257 Roberts. Equally special and unique, and much milder shooting. I have both a standard Roberts (I built one for my own daughter), and I have a Roberts AI. A standard Roberts shooting 100 gr Partitions or Ballistic Tips would be a venison generator.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the inputs and discussions guys.

One reason I was thinking the Weatherby, besides the possible attraction of something a little different to peak her interest, was that could be used for a considerable time going forward.

As was mentioned above there are excellent calibers today. 260 and the 7-08 certainly among those for new hunters as they pack a hit and are mild in recoil.

I did have a chance when I was in the store the other day to see the Vanguard. It was a nice rifle and I can see it having fairly mild recoil in the 257 as it is probably heavier than the Ultra Light Weight Mark V. Although I haven't looked up the weight differences yet. And she isn't extremely small, as of course being a teenager she has grown some over the last year.

I also did handle the Browning Hells Canyon. It too was a nice piece and has a bit smaller or slimmer stock dimensions versus the Vanguard and also a smaller wrist to its stock. It comes with a break too, so more nice features for the money.

I do want her to both come and look at the different rifle styles and to be the lead in the selection process. It is a bit tough to do though when you can't actually see the models like the Ultra Light. And holding teen agers attention - y'all know what that is like - Whatever . . Whats for dinner? Wink

Thanks again guys for a truly informative thread.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Excepting certain circumstances, I don't think the 270 gives up anything to the 257 Wby, though it is a fantastic caliber. I have a load for my Remington 700 270 using the Barnes 110 TTSX that shoots just under 3400fps and prints three shots into 1/2" at 100 yards. Trajectory is almost identical to the 257 Wby with far more efficient loading and widely available and cheaper components.

That load was developed out of a desire to tailor the 270 for deer sized game, as I have rifles on either side of it that handle bigger or smaller stuff, respectively. I'll freely admit when doing that I wanted to have the 270 effectively "mimic" a 257 Wby. Recoil and blast in that round are very mild, and I can spot my impacts out to about 150 yards or so. They also make a 95gr TTSX that would be an absolute rocket out of a 270. Nice thing about Barnes bullets is you do not have to concern yourself with bullet fragmentation at those impressive velocities.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention the fun part which is watching the "flop- bang" or the "bang- flop". and the flat flat trajectory out to 225 yds, which has been my longest shot.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.....and it is the sexiest cartridge ever designed.

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer a standard 257 Robts to a Wby..less recoil, enough for deer and even elk, less blast, less expensive..For myself the 250-3000 is the ultimate, but its not for everyone..There is no ultimate in calibers, there is only favorites, and the 257 Wby isn't a common favorite..I wouldn't over look the 7x57 btw..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
You might also take a look at what Winchester offers in their model 70 Compact. It's essentially a featherweight with a little less length of pull and a little shorter barrel. Its a very nice well thought out rifle.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Daughter started with the .260 at 11 years old, but we have always had at least one .257 Wby in the safe and she shot them in the ULW and the Weathermark and really likes it. I have never had one with a 24" barrel, but the 26" even in the Ultra Lightweight is manageable for my 110Lb. daughter. We have been through 5 ULW rifles in .257WBY and several in 270, 240, and 300 Weatherby and all were very easy to load for with pretty much every bullet we tried. The TSX/TTSX have been the best though typically shooting VERY small groups. I would highly recommend you go with the ULW in .257, and if she doesn't like it keep it and get her a .240!

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a Ruger No. 1 in .257 Wby? Model number is 11386. 28" barrel cuts the muzzle blast and realizes the round's potential, but the short action of the No. 1 makes it the same length as a bolt gun with a 24" barrel. Gunbroker has 9 currently listed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a number one in the 257Wby and it shot well and mine had a pretty good trigger. They are heavy and after all these years they still have a dis-functional scope mount rail on the 1B and 30mm rings are expensive and can be hard to find. Great gun though. I had a Vortex Viper 4-16 on mine and the eye relief worked well all the way through the range. They are typically a pretty good investment as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger is interesting enough but longer term Id rather go with the bolt rifles. Also my luck on getting the No 1s to shoot isnt so good. I previously sold off the No 1s I had.

I pretty much have Winchester M70s anymore. But before that I had my round through the Weatherbys in both the Vanguards and the Mk Vs. A Featherweight still wouldn't be a bad addition either. But you know how it is - I said I would not jam up the gun safe again after my last sell off.

I have a definite bend for the Weatherby calibers . Something out of the Weatherby ads back in my youth must have stuck with me. Wink

It looks as if the 257 Weatherby is moving in. I think it will be fun. And as was said heck if there are problems we will look for something like the 7-08. But I think this is going to be good.

I just now have to rediscover loading the Barnes bullets as I pretty much shoot the Noslers and a couple of Swifts in larger calibers. I can see this might lead off down a trail . . . . there could be some very nice Model 70s for sale and I could be back loading Barnes again too. Fun thread and thank you for all the discussion and inputs.

posted Hide Post
The major reason I suggested something other than a hot 25 is the noise. We tend to do most of our shooting under controlled circumstances wearing ear protection. I was lucky enough to live in an area where I could hunt a lot and the ranges were long. I really liked the hot 25's but I think that is why I have more money in hearing aids than many rifles cost. I sounds to me like this might be THE rifle that stays with her through life and gets hunted a lot. Otherwise, no flies on either 25.

Posts: 23 | Location: left coast usa | Registered: 08 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the two mentioned, I'd go the 25-06 long before the Weatherby. There's lots of good 6.5's that are just as deadly, the 270 has been mentioned and it would really be my first choice for a youngster,mamong the three. If something a bit off the beaten path is desirable there's always the 7 x 57. Proven beyond a doubt but overshadowed today by cartridges almost as good as it is.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sharps4590 is right there are lots of fun deadly proven rounds. I too have a 25-06...I never shoot it. I have owned several rifles in most cartridges from .17Rem to .338RUM. There has always been something special about the .257 Weatherby. From 10 yards to 450 it will kill deer faster than a picture of Hilary Clinton can kill a boner. While it is loud, recoil is very modest, and I am as big a recoil baby as there ever was. with todays powders and particularly with the 100 grain TSX it is easy to beat published velocities without over-pressure and shortening case life. I think this is where the most noticeable advantage truly lies with the Bee. Flight time at hunting distance say to 400 is amazing. We hunt western South Dakota every year and 8 days out of 10 it seems the wind will blow at least 20. The drift calculation is much easier AND less exaggerated if your off on your guess at wind speed. It's true I do most of my deer hunting with the .260 these days, but if I know I am going on a hike into the open spaces 9 times in 10 I will grab the .257 Wby.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up some 257 loaded ammo and put in a notification for brass at Midway. Most of the time the Weatherby brass is available so they must be selling some 257 as it was out of stock.

I have been looking around for scopes for the 257 Weatherby.

I have VX-6 on everything.

I hate to spoil her. Or have Dad trying to steal her new rifle. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I have a 4-12x on mine. It seems "about right".

Bear in mind if she whacks a deer at close range, you're going to get a TON of bloodshot meat at the entrance hole. Anything under 150 yards and you're going to tear them up pretty good (entrance hole side).

I shot one at under 50 yards a couple years ago, and had to throw away the entire front shoulder. Was coming straight on me, pretty fast, and stopped right in front of me and turned a little.

If I'd known he was going to be that accommodating, I would have brought a handgun. Lol.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point. ^^

The little Barnes TTSX bullets had just come in. I opened them up and while they aren't heavy they are long.

I am hoping that the Barnes perform as advertised as we have all had "experiences" in bullet performance in hunting over time. I had sworn off Barnes until these newer developments. I'll try the factory Weatherby loads and then see how my own loads go for the 257.

As I mentioned above finding a load that my 300 Weatherby liked and loading them was just as easy as here try this one, and this one. Nice. But it is a Model 70 in 300 Wby so we will see.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I thought the 257 Banshee or 257 STW was the "Best" popcorn

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
From 10 yards to 450 it will kill deer faster than a picture of Hilary Clinton can kill a boner.

That's classic! rotflmo