THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What 257 Roberts would you pick?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What 257 Roberts would you pick?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
We still on this?
I do have a 77 257 tang safety with a very long throat; I use 25-06 load data and seat the bullets only .1 inch into the case. Works fine. It is a long action, factory Ruger; as all 257s should be. It is in a MK11 boat paddle stock; yes you can put a tang safety into one. I also have a 350 Rem Mag in one; tang safety too.
As for bolt trust; the facts are there; some can't see them.
Brass can take a lot of pressure; has anyone ever seen primers backed out on an old 30-30? Or old military rifle. How do you think that happens? Why does England oil the cartridges before proof firing, using the axial crusher method? So the brass won't adhere to the chamber and reduce the readings is why. Ackley did tests on this too; a 30-30 improved does not need a locking lug at all. How does that work?
Oh, and polished chambers are another thing; they promote back thrust.
Just facts.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And newer Ruger 77s do not have as long a throat as mine does. Never saw a Ruger 257 on a short action; all were long. Doing so would be a big mistake, long throat or not.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
We still on this?
I do have a 77 257 tang safety with a very long throat; I use 25-06 load data and seat the bullets only .1 inch into the case. Works fine. It is a long action, factory Ruger; as all 257s should be. It is in a MK11 boat paddle stock; yes you can put a tang safety into one. I also have a 350 Rem Mag in one; tang safety too.
As for bolt trust; the facts are there; some can't see them.
Brass can take a lot of pressure; has anyone ever seen primers backed out on an old 30-30? Or old military rifle. How do you think that happens? Why does England oil the cartridges before proof firing, using the axial crusher method? So the brass won't adhere to the chamber and reduce the readings is why. Ackley did tests on this too; a 30-30 improved does not need a locking lug at all. How does that work?
Oh, and polished chambers are another thing; they promote back thrust.
Just facts.

I have two .257 Roberts rifles: a LH Dakota 26 short action with 22" barrel and a Ruger No. 1 custom with a 25" barrel. The Dakota cycles standard factory Nosler 110 grain +P Accubonds just fine, smooth with no hiccups. The Ruger has room for a longer COAL of course. I have not compared fired brass yet, but I am prepared to keep two sets of brass for the two rifles.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote