Find
Notify
Tools

30 06 AI
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted
I have an interest in a 30 06 AI. I talked to one Parker's old employees and he really did not like the conversion. I am thinling about cleaning up an old M 70 I have, just for fun. since I live only 2 mins away from Ackley's old house I thought it would be a nice tribute. Any idea's?

Cheers, Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one and others. They are fun for a while. Get one and see how it works out. It's not a serious decision like marriage or even a tatoo!

They have to be done right to set the headspace so that factory rounds can be fired in the chamber.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's a great idea. It adds about 100 fps to the -06, and it makes it something a little differant. Plus you can still shoot factory ammo in it. Go for it. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I built one about 5 years ago and it works really well. As others stated above you get about 100fps particularily with 180 gr bullets and up. The straightwalled case has the benefit of improved accuracy probably due to the better chamber. The sharp shoulder can cause slight feeding problems but thats easily corrected. I took mine to Africa a few years ago and it did phenomenal work out to 400 yrds.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an '06imp. and couldn't be happier! I'm getting 200fps. more from my new 24" barrel than my original factory 22" barrel with 180gr Hornady's or Speer Grand Slams.
If you do the conversion make sure you try RL22, it is the best powder I've tried.
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I have called one of my gunsmiths it is en route in 6 weeks I'll have a new Mauser in 30 06 AI.

I can't wait. Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote