Notify
Tools

8mm rem mag to .30 cal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
whats it called?
8mm rm or the 7mmstw to .308

Posts: 118 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I believe it would be real close to the 300 Jarret. He changed the dimensions a little.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
There is also the 300/8 Mag. I had one and liked it. Shilen has the reamer. I eventually put the barrel on a different action and took the opportunity to change it to 300 Wby just because if i decided to sell it I could get a better deal.

There is no functional difference between it and the 300 Wby. I used 300 data to reload with no problems. Even though I started low, I was always able to reach max in the books without undue pressure. And that from an 8" twist!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no functional difference between it and the 300 Wby

Yep they would be real close. My data shows the 300Wby has 3-5grs more capacity. Depending on the source.

Clymer calls it the 30-8mm mag. They have the dimensions on their site. The Jarret has a 35deg shoulder vs the 25 of the 8mm.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
30 ackley

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I admit I'm speculating here but I bet the actual capacity of a 30/8Mag is the same or greater than a 300 Wby, reason being the brass is thinner. If you go by the exterior dimensions you will get that 3-5 grains though. Going by reloading results, I bet in the case of my brass it had more rather than less capacity.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate,
You might be right. I was just looking as to what Loadtech called the capacity.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Like I said, I'm just guessing based on anecdotal observance of primers and case stretch. It is a fine round in any form one wants to use it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 Jarrett

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The case capacity of the 300 Wby with Wby cases is greater than the capacity of the 8mm Rem with Rem cases. It looks like they should be very close but the Wby has the advantage. I took two new cases and plugged the primer holes with tissue. I filled each case full to the top of the neck with W760 powder and weighed the powder. The Wby case held approx 3 grs more. Several other cases were tried and all results were very close to the original 2 cases.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote