New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have the reamer and fired brass. Who do you recommend?

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have had custom dies made by several manufacturers.

They all did a great job.

You might wish to contact several and see who can deliver soonest.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66929 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I had great service for my wildcat dies from RCBS, but that doesn't happen now. You might try C+H.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
CH4d is almost a year out for any custom dies but they will likely be your cheapest option. That leaves Hornady and Whidden gun works as the next major players both have about 16 week lead times right now.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You have the reamer? You mean the sizing die reamer, or the chamber reamer? They can use the chamber reamer for the seating die, but the FL die requires a new reamer.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
WTF??....Is it just me or were there a heap of pics of handmade dies here a minute ago???

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was...

Posts: 699 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
WTF??....Is it just me or were there a heap of pics of handmade dies here a minute ago???

Roger

I will put the photos back up if you gents want to see them.

Took them down as I do not want to give the impression that I make them for sale. Not at all, I am old and retired, made my own dies when I was into guns pretty heavy.

I will be making a 500 Jeffery set soon, have the reamers (rougher, resize, and finish) and the material. These will be 1-1/4" in diameter. Heavy duty dies for my RCBS A2 press. It will be a 3 die set: Neck size, FL size, and seat. Will also make crimp die. So it will actually be a 4 die set in a nice wood box, similar to the sets Hollywood made back in the good old days. Might make an expander die to bell the case mouth slightly for ease in bullet seating.

About those reamers: I had a 500 Jeffery finisher. Ordered a rougher and a resizer last year. Talk about Unicorns!!! 7 Months delivery. Ya gotta think far into the future when planning a custom gun build.

I have 3 lathes in the shop, die making is easy.

The shop keeps me active, I enjoy machining.

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
I bought this turret last year to speed up the die making. Just have to machine a base plate adapter to fit my lathe. 6 positions for tooling and reamers.

I probably should fit it to the lathe before I make the 500J die set.

I have floating holders for all 6 positions.

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Hell yes!
I'm a machinist by trade and those pics above are my idea of Heaven tu2
If you don't want to put the previous pics up again, PM me and I'll send you my Email.

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
Hell yes!
I'm a machinist by trade and those pics above are my idea of Heaven tu2
If you don't want to put the previous pics up again, PM me and I'll send you my Email.

Roger

Heaven Can Wait!

I am an old retired Machinist with a Mechanical Engineering Degree. Hell of a combination, a rare breed. Worked in heavy machinery Job Shops.

I collected tools and machinery all along the years, the little South Bend is over 100 years old. I still use it.

I will put the die photos back up later tonight.

Another one, shop made slack belt grinder polishing a M77 338 barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Toys

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote