Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 Sil
 Login/Join

posted
I just wanted to ask if anyone out there has any experience with this Ken Waters design. I'm basically curious about the types of guns used and performance. Beings as the 458x1.5 is another version of this cartridge I would also like to poll anyone with experiece with that also.

thanks.

Dave

Posts: 11 | Location: Rose Hill, Ks. | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave....my .458 Devastator is pretty close to the .45 Silhouette. An article on its performance in converted Blackhawks is posted to my site. I've also finished the .450 Bonecrusher and those results should be linked within the month.

Lee Martin
www.singleactions.com

Posts: 380 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lee;

I pulled the data for both the devastor and the bone crusher from your site. They are very interesting and that is what got me to thinking about this old Ken Waters design.

You have a great site - keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Dave

Posts: 11 | Location: Rose Hill, Ks. | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I've long thought that a .458 bore would be a more optimal revolver round. You can find factory bullets from 300-600gns that are commonly availible.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents, John Linebaugh does a 458 max. which is basically the same thing, except it's 1.6 in lenght. I have a 45 case coming out 1.610 in length. A whole new cartridge.

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting ... I know very little about wheel guns and somewhere someone told me that necked cases tend to do bad things in revolvers ... but, just in case ...

You guys are looking at relatively short 458s, of the rimmed variety. Our 458 SOCOM typically is rebated, however, take a piece of either 500 Linebaugh Long or 50 Alaskan, run it through a set of 458 SOCOM dies, and you end up with a perfectly rimmed version. One Encore was chambered in this, and I have one piece of the brass sitting here on the shelf.

In a 10" barrel, it should fetch close to 1700 fps with a 300 gr Rem HP over 37.0 gr H4227. Case capacity is around 61 gr water and the rebated version is loaded to 35,000 psi tops. So the Alaskan based version might get you a little more. Case length is 1.575" and loaded with that 300 gr overall length is 2.02".

Tony Rumore at Tromix can give you the details on the rimmed version

www.tromix.com

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marty, I've done the same using the 475 tremor dies. You do realize who told Tony about the rimmed idea? It was because he had trouble with the extraction of the socom cases.

By the way I like you 338 spectre round. And am doing a rimmed version of that. i'll get you some samples.

Dan

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TERA

1 Which case I must use to make
475 tremor
458 Devastator
45 Silhouette

The specs are as follows:

case length?
At shoulder?