New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 x 444 w/40 degree shoulder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello, is anyone shooting one of these? Its a 309 JDJ by another name. Mine is not from JDJ! I use 309 Dies and JDJ loading info. All the data they have is for the thompson contender and my barrel is an encore rifle 24" and it is pretty anemic with that info. Just curious if anyone else is shooting one, not looking for loads just trying to get an opinion and impression from someone other than myself. Thanks

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The Contender loads are limited to below 40K psi because of the thin frame walls; on later versions they beefed up those, as you know. I have a Contender with 375 JDJ, 30-30, and 6.8, and 40 caliber barrels. All medium pressure cartridges.
So, load it to match the 308 Win. It has the same case capacity and the Encore is offered in high pressure things like 300 Win Mag.
Is yours a Bull berry 30-444 (copy of the JDJ but can't use the name).

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Mine is a rechambered encore 308. I wanted a little more ump without blinding myself. The 444 case gave me a little bigger case and a rimmed case for better extraction in the encore. Like with any wildcat, loading seems to be taking it to the point of pressure signs. I don't have a quick load computer program.

What little bit I've shot it, the round seems to be in the 30-06 +P catagory. Which means it is nothing more than a 308 on steroids. The pluses are I got the chamber cleaned up and reloading once fire formed re a joy to reload. You Have to neck down with a 308 die and fire form, I then reload with 309 JDJ Dies. 165 gr. Hornady SPBT
about 2800-2850 which is 30-06 specs. Not a Bullberry barrel but I hear he makes good ones. Thanks again.

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might water weight a couple of cases and see what comes out...a 308 is ≈56 gr H20, a 30-06 is ≈68 and the 30-44 comes out just about in the middle at ≈62's. My 375 JD, AKA 375/444, AKA 375 x 62, hits ≈68 using 9.3x62 cases and leaving long as possible.

Adjust your sizer to push the shoulder back only enough to lock the action...that way your cases will last a long time and won't stretch all the heck and gone to Oklahoma.

You might check out Mike Bellm at Bellm T/C's, https://www.bellmtcs.com/, I think he did a version also way back. He DOES know T/C's.

Absolutely no problem with the Encore OR the 30-444.

Go online to Powley Computer (FREE), http://kwk.us/powley.html and punch in the required data. 7.5 x 55 Schmidt Rubin data is close and so is 7.62 Russian and of course 308 and 30-06 (mid range loads)

Work slow and work for accuracy.

Good Hunting tu2 beer