New
Find
Notify
Tools

9x57mm?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has any one ever heard of this? is it a wildcat or what? Any info would be helpful. Rock

Posts: 121 | Location: Elmira, NY, USA | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
is is a a .353? bore.. I think.. something tickles my memory that it's a tad smaller than the standard 358 bore...

essentially, loaded to pressure, it's a 358 winchester.

great great great NA or Contenital round, suitable for game to elk/moose, and a GREAT boar/deer round in a stalking rifle

since i have a fascination for 35s, i had thought about a us 358x57 improved, on a short action.. getting into 35 whelen power

jeffe

Posts: 38383 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
was it based n the 8x57 or the 7x57? could this brass be used and just necked up? it would still work threw a standard mauser action? would there be a increase in pressure to limit such a thing from happening? Rock

Posts: 121 | Location: Elmira, NY, USA | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
based on the 8x57.. but made early.. so it's loaded pillow soft.. should be zero issue to load it to where the 7x57 is.

with a m98 (rather than 91 or 96), and a new barrel, i would load it pretty stiff.. but on an original it would stay low.
jeffe

Posts: 38383 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Happen to have an early Husky in 9.3 X 57. I really like it. It's no scorcher, but with a 232 grain pill it delivers a respectable thump. Norma still makes ammo for it. It fits in a short action. Its sorta like the European 358 Winchester. It is more popular in Europe than the US.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was a factory round.I don't know the date of introduction,but it most likely predated the 9X57R.,which was introduced in 1905.It was based on the 8X57 necked up.The case capacity of the 9X57 is about 5+ grs of water greater than the .358 Win.
References give the groove diameter as .356".
RWS factory load-245 gr.SP-2150 fps.
.358 Win. factory load-250 gr. SP-2160 fps.
I have seen listed loading data that gives the
9X57mm about100 fps faster than the .358 Win.
It was popular in Europe and the parts of Africa
in the sphere of German influence.
It was highly regarded as a meat getter in Africa,probably due in part to the affordability
of the Mauser rifle.
WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, based on the 8 X 57. A little greater case capacity then the 358 Win. Uses .355-.356 bullets. They brought in a few of these some years back, and we just used 358 diameter bullets and kept the loads down around the 358 Win level. Nice little pre-war sporters, at least the ones that were here. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I've owned several of these, bought at auction in "Olde Blighty" in the late 60's and early 70's. Have never fired a German-made round through mine, but have shot lots of Kynoch-loaded stuff with, as I recall, a 245 gr. or 247 gr. bullet.

Most of mine were entirely made-up in Germany on military-style '98 actions as what I called "military sporters", for lack of a better term. That is, with schnable fore-end, and rounded but checkered pistol grip, metal butt-plate, military style rear sight, acorn front sight.

One was a beauty of a different nature, though...double square bridge '98 with a QD telescopic 4-X Zeiss, released by pushing a button the right side of the rear bridge.

Anyway, is a very nice round. You can make brass from 7 x 57, 8 x 57, or 9.3mmx 57...or for that matter with proper neck-sizing and length trimming, from .30-06 or 35 Whelan.

My Kynoch ammo was loaded to roughly same performance as .358 Winchester, but you can get a bit more out of it than that if you are careful...after all, the case is 6 m/m longer than the .358, so there is a tad more case capacity.

It's a very nice round for the thicker bush.

AC

[ 03-29-2003, 05:37: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
A woman I once worked with at Fort Hood, TX, had two of them her husband had brought back from WWII. One was a Mauser, and used the rimless 57mm case, while the other was a drilling with a 9X57Rmm under two 16 ga. barrels. I made ammo for the R version from 7X57R Norma brass, and used 8X57JS cases for the bolt action. Both of these rifles had .354" groove diameters, but we were able to use .358" bullets because the case necks expanded sufficiently to safely release the .358" bullets. I believe the loading data came from an issue of Cartridges of the World. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
so is this a true 9mm? or is it 9.3? or are they two seperate rounds, 9x57 and 9.3x57?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two seperate rounds. The 9.3 X 57 uses a nominal .366, while the 9 X 57 uses .355-.356 bullets. You can, as mentioned use .358 bullets if you keep the loads down, or you can swage your own bullets down from .358. - Dan

[ 04-01-2003, 06:41: Message edited by: dan belisle ]

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I hear the 9X57MM was popular in Africa
several years ago. I thought I wanted one but have
never seen one, and the ones I see advertised for
sale in GUNLIST have all been custom Mausers and
prices were reasonable. Winchester did chamber
a few Model 54s and Model 70s for the 9X57MM but
chances of finding one are about nil.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
<J�rgen>
posted
I shoot a 9x57 R (rimmed version at lower pressure) in my Contender, shoots nice clover leaf groups at 100 meters with 180gr. Hornady spire points.They can easily be made by necking up 8x57 IS or IRS brass.Cases are plentiful from RWS , dies are fairly cheap and it opens the bullet choice up to all .358 bullets , instead of only a handful of 8mm !If you want one without reloading , I think that Browning still loads them in Belgium , maybe someone else knows this better ....?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a new Clymer reamer That I bought about 10 years ago for a project. Then the guy backed out at the last minute. Here are some of the dims from the reamer.
Bushing OD, .348
Throat OD, .359
Neck OD, .389
We had planned on using a standard 358 barrel and not told clymer anything regarding this. I lately have been thinking of buliding up a rifle using a 1904 Port action in 9x57. A mannlicher stock with a lyman 36 type peep on it, oh well that is a another story.

Posts: 1411 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I came across a 9X57 Manlicher in a pawn shop, but unfortunately they wanted way to much for an abused rifle, with cracked and repaired stock and poorly drilled/tapped scope mount. Asside from that, if one came across one for the right price, and with a set of dies, it would be a swell round.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote