Find
Notify
Tools

23/40 Hart Wildcat
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
Anyone heard of it ? Appears to be a fireformed 223 case with blown-out and sharper shoulder.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Murray

23-40 is the 223 with a 40 degree shoulder. Since it is/was a wildcat you will find several versions of it, the main differences being in the neck length. There are also the 222-40 (222 Remington), the 22-40 (222 Rem Mag). To confuse things even further you will also find all of these with other shoulder angles, usually 45 degrees, but sometimes anything between 30 and 50. Throw in the different neck lengths and it will drive you nuts trying to identify them all. I have about 10 different ones in my collection and quit when I realized how many there were and how impossible it would be to ever find them all.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray

It was a new one that I stumbled across , but had no information about . I imagine the variations of this round is like the plethora of home-made 303 wildcats we have here and in Australia. Have a great New Year.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote