Find
Notify
Tools

6mm-06
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted
Anybody out there shooting a 6mm-06, an 87grain Hornady HPBT at 3700fps, well it's a beast.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No I don't shoot one but have eyed it many times but always managed to build something else.

My buddy shot (and still owns) a 240 Wby and the performance is about the same although I'd rather have the '06 case!

I do shoot a 6mm WSM but opt for high BC bullets at slightly slower speeds. The 115 DTAC at 3300 fps is pretty respectable for ringing steel at extended ranges but the projectile is not recommended for hunting.

The big question is how long it will shoot well before it's burnt out!!! (it'll be re-barreled to a 6.5 WSM when this tube is fried, if anyone cares).

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got two TCR-87 barrels in 6MM-06. One is a fast-twist barrel and shoots 105-gr Breger VLD's at 3,250 fps (for deer) and the other is a slow twist barrel and shoots 70-gr Nsler Balistic Tips at 3,900 fps (for coyotes). Both work really well!

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I built mine with a 28" Pac-Nor Stainless Barrel. My thinking was, after the throat is gone, I'd just lap off a couple inches, and start shooting again. We'll see if that works out.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a custom 240 wby made on a Rem 700 action.
It was a terrific coyote rifle with 70 ballistic tips.
I suspect that performance is very similar to the 6/06.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had a super rockchucker some years ago that i used 85 gr sierras in - was very capable of blowing up crats - burnt the barrel quick - never got anything close to 3700

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a 240 Gibbs, built on a Win 70, with a Ron Smith gain twist 26" barrel. Very fast, very flat. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I wish I could comment, but I'm kicking myself in the ass for not jumping on one built on an FN commercial Mauser. Can't be snoozin' when something like that comes along.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yeah,that guy got a steal on that. Somewhere around here I still have a new chamber reamer that never was used because the fellow changed his mind.I don't send tools back even if I can't use them right now.In the most real sense,they only appreciate in value.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote