THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    I have 2 stainless M77 MKII in 350 Rem Mag

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have 2 stainless M77 MKII in 350 Rem Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To all

I have two of these rifles…

1)This rifle is in a McMillan Classic Swirly cut and crowned with 20 inch barrel a Leupold VX3 1.5x-5x Illuminated Reticle and I love the balance and performance.

2) This rifle is completely factory with the 24" barrel and the Tupperware stock.

I want to read barrel rifle #2 to a 375-350 or something similar… I'm looking for ideas for both ends of the spectrum… Either necking up to a much heavier 375 to 450 on necking down to something below 6.5 with a number five or higher contour barrel for long-range.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Robert

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Neck up to 410 and use 400 Whelen and 405 win loads with all normal loading common sense. 405 win to 450/400 performance.
Another is to trim to 2.25" or thereabouts, stuff with 45-70 bullets or 458 rifle bullets to get 80 grains capacity matching the 45-70 for those loads and beyond. 45-70 to 450 BPE power.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds promising.

Bruz

NRA Lifetime Member

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
.416 x 2"

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3 B.S. (Barsness-Sisk). This round exactly duplicates the 9.3x62 in a short action. Simply neck up 350 Rem mag brass. Their are bullets from 250 to 320 grains available. Very easy wildcat. This was created by gun writer John Barsness and rifle maker Charlie Sisk.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
9.3 B.S. (Barsness-Sisk). This round exactly duplicates the 9.3x62 in a short action. Simply neck up 350 Rem mag brass. Their are bullets from 250 to 320 grains available. Very easy wildcat. This was created by gun writer John Barsness and rifle maker Charlie Sisk.

What do you gain by going from .350 to .366--

Other than not having factory ammo?

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I traded or sold one of these to Kabluey. I liked it but no doubt had a stroke of gun nutitist. He built a 458 American on it if I remember right. I haven't seen it since he had the work done to it.
I liked the rifle. But liked the 9.3×62 better. It was a nice light rifle that I should have left well enough alone and just hunted it.
Oh well. I'm not known for being the sharpest tool in the shed.
I do think that case necked to 458 could push a 300 gr TSX at 2500+ fps from a 20" barrel which would make it a great coastal rifle up here.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do know that I have NEVER heard a complaint up here about the 350 Rem Mag. Even Andy Runyon liked the round as does Phil Shoemaker. 2 of the best big game cart reccomendations a round could get. I know of several of them in The Copper Basin and their owners won't turn loose of them.
One that I've had my lunch hooks on but haven't shot yet is in a 600 or 660 and has a lw Brown Precision stock on it its a beautiful working rifle that resides as a safe queen. It has a pop up peep sight on the rear base. And it sports a compact scope. I forget the power. 1-4 x I think. Its really sweet.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Am I missing the obvious? A rebarrel to 6.5 Remington mag wont require a custom reamer or dies.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
As thecanadian says, for the smaller round, the 6.5 Remington seems like a natural choice for that rifle.

For the .45 caliber, you could rebarrel for the .450 Marlin

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I re barreled a remington 670 350 rem mag to 450 marlin thinking I would improve on lever action velocities. However that was not the case, it actually won't handle some factory loads (sticky extraction), it is very accurate though with tsx bullets. Also will need some work to feed anything that is not spire point

Posts: 1067 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Always wanted a 450 marlin bolt gun...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've gone for full long range rig with this thing I'm taking the 350 round mag barrel all the factory stock rifle and putting it in a McMillan A3–5 and rebarreling to a heavy varmint fluted in 26 Nosler.

Btw: already have a Marlin 1895 guide gun in 450M that shoots with all rounds touch at 100 yards handloaded with 300 grain Barnes TSXs.

Bruz

NRA Lifetime Member

posted Hide Post
The reason that someone did not do better than Marlin loads in his bolt rifle is because the standard chamber is throated for an OAL to fit through a Marlin 450 or 45-70.

When you put the cartridge into something like a 350 Rem Mag you have a max OAL of 2.8 inches rather than something like 2.55 inches. Throat for the magazine length. More powder room.

Enough said.

Posts: 48 | Location: Elyria, Ohio USofA | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've gone for full long range rig with this thing I'm taking the 350 round mag barrel all the factory stock rifle and putting it in a McMillan A3–5 and rebarreling to a heavy varmint fluted in 26 Nosler.

So your MKII has a 3.34" mag box? I had assumed with the 350Rem Mag you had the shorter action. Unless you 26" or better yet 28" or longer the 26 Nosler gains you nothing 264wmag except burns more powder and throat.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't think the 26 Nosler was a short action cart. . . Please keep us updated on its progress.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't think the 26 Nosler was a short action cart. . . Please keep us updated on its progress.

The 26 Nosler has a case length of 2.59 and is designed for an OAL of 3.34" . I think the Ruger SA mag box is on the order of 2.925"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok. Well, my M77 Mk2 stainless 350 Rem mag was a short, 308 length action. Same as the 300 Short RUM I had. If I had that action again, I'de build a 6.5 WSM on it mainly because of available brass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The box length, that was straight, and the barrel links were three of my primary concerns.

I spoke with Dan Wells and he explained that his son had built a 226 nozzle her this summer and that the box would be fine and he provided the barrel length added suggested 28 inch finished wings and a twist of 8.5 and a five our configuration.

If anyone else has further data please let me know as I don't want to order the barrel and be stuck with a 6.5 if I need a shorter case length and COAL.

Thanks

Robert

Bruz

NRA Lifetime Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a barreled action which was originally a Stainless 7 REM Mag which is the link that the stock accepts. The 7RM action is the same lenth as the 30/06 length that action… Correct? If not, I just wasted $400.

BTW: I'm not sure if the 350RM it is the WSM length action or not but… The Action is shorter then my 338/06 or 257 Roberts which ARE the same length.

The issue that I have is that I've locked myself into a "Long Range Rig" because of the McMillan 83–5 which I obtained at a screaming deal.

Robert

Bruz

NRA Lifetime Member

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I purchased a barreled action which was originally a Stainless 7 REM Mag which is the link that the stock accepts. The 7RM action is the same lenth as the 30/06 length that action…

A 26 Nosler is designed for a 3.34" box which is the same as a 30-06. You are fine with the 7mag action

What I and most of the others thought you were talking about doing was converting your 350Mag. If it is factory then yes the action is shorter than the one you just bought.

You should be good to go.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I realize that that was the general thought as I read through the post but one of the 350 rent mags will simply stay a factory 350 Rem Mag in a Tupperware start as I am "holding it" for my nephew to come over age…my 350 reman is the 20 inch Shellen barreled in the McSwirly pattern start With a Timney trigger and the fixed Leupold HD which I use for a walking rifle for protection of deer, hogs and the occasional armadillo :-)

I had originally thought of taking the plain Jane factory rifle and using that for a building until I determined that it had the short fat action which dramatically reduced my options from the custom build… And to be honest with you the primary "deal which I base this entire build on will only except the 30 odd 6/belted magnum wings actions which is the McMillan 83–5 which I purchased for one third of normal value.

Thanks

Robert

Bruz

NRA Lifetime Member