New
Find
Notify
Tools

219-22
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Customer brought me a single shot rifle for a chamber cast. Barrel is marked "219-22". Anyone have any info on this cartridge?

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldmight be the .219 Zipper; necked down .25-35 from the 1920s. roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That was my thought as well.I built a 219 zipper in the 80's on a Remington rolling block action. Sold the rifle years ago but still have the dies.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Without a chamber casting, it could be a 219 Zipper or a 219-22 hornet. There are so many weird wildcats in the world it's hard to keep up with all the names.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yep,cerosafe does'nt lie.(no I don't work for Brownell's [an excellent company btw]nor a perk for them) but they do carry cerosafe + it is the only way to my knowledge to make an accurate chamber cast.You right about all the abstract wildcat calibres that abound.Worth checking but I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that that is a 219 zipper.Please post your final findings;that way we all learn something,maybe.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you said single shot did you not? if so is it a Savage mod. 219 single shot, It came in a 22 hornet caliber. stop all progress do a chamber cast, then you will know what you have, its the only way to go. and cheap to chamber cast..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote