New
Find
Notify
Tools

Necking up the .460 Short A-Square
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm pondering a wildcat based on the .460 Short A-Square necked up to use .475 cal bullets, with no other changes. Has anyone else done this? I could lob 500 grain bullets at slightly lower pressures than the .460 because of the shorter bullets, but could also load it with .475 cal handgun bullets for plinking and deer hunting. Marty at Teppo Jutsu was kind enough to draw up a blueprint, the biggest cost for the project would be the loading dies and the sacrificial Ruger No. 1 to build it on.

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me necking up the 460A-Square Short is,almost paramount to the,475 Ackley Magnum,or the 475 OKH Magnum??

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, this couldn't possibly generate the velocities those two cases produce, it doesn't have anywhere near the case volume they do. Besides, what's the point of going over 2400 fps?

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok,460 A-Square Short=500grs Bullet+91.0.grs IMR4895,=MV 2,450,=ME.6,670.

475 Ackley Mag=600grs Bullet+90.0grs IMR4320=2,550=ME.6750.,??

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ok,460 A-Square Short=500grs Bullet+91.0.grs IMR4895,=MV 2,450,=ME.6,670.

475 Ackley Mag=600grs Bullet+90.0grs IMR4320=2,550=ME.6750.,??

Yes, I can bump myself up 100 grains of bullet and 100+ fps of velocity, but is the extra recoil necessary? Is your math there correct? I can bump up my bullet weight by 100 grains, and my muzzle velocity by 100 fps, and I'll only gain 80 ft. lbs. of energy?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Urodoji,

looks like the peak pressure lowers by about 5%. JFF, i simd 325g Hyd, for plinking, using XMP5477 for 2200fps at
28k psi.

I am using Hawk bullet, which makes lighter weights in all calibers. A 400g, 505 gibbs goes for about 75 cents.

rgds

steve

Posts: 340 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about cutting bullet weight down to say,370,400 or 440grs?As used in the,475 Linebaugh.As far as I can see the calculation is correct.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Urodoji,

looks like the peak pressure lowers by about 5%. JFF, i simd 325g Hyd, for plinking, using XMP5477 for 2200fps at
28k psi.

I am using Hawk bullet, which makes lighter weights in all calibers. A 400g, 505 gibbs goes for about 75 cents.

rgds

steve

Steve,

Thanks. I'll have to get myself a nice used No. 1 to use as a testbed. I think this might be my new deer rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excuse me,but you actually would plink,and would deer hunt with a 505 Gibbs?Your certanly a better man then I am!Does the 505 Gibbs blow the antlers off the deers skull?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
do a search for "trollbane"...

the 500's are pleasant to shoots, with light bullets... less VISIBLE reaction in the animals... CUZ THEY AINT GOT NUTTIN TO REACT than say a 270....

200# pig, with a "near hit" with a 500 jeffe.... pig lays there or runs a bit, becuase big bullets let air in quick...

EXACT same shot with a 270... pig reacts to being shot, turns to the OFF side (the wound is bigger) and runs 100-150 yards.... and you have blood shot meat

jeffe

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Excuse me,but you actually would plink,and would deer hunt with a 505 Gibbs?

Why the hell wouldn't I? I already do so with a .375 H&H.

Quote:

Your certanly a better man then I am!

I shook my Magic 8-Ball, and it said "It's possible".

Quote:

Does the 505 Gibbs blow the antlers off the deers skull?

Why are we talking about .505 Gibbs anyway? Did I ever mention using a .505 Gibbs? Did I mention using it as a parent case for anything? Did I ever even mention wanting to own one? As for antlers, simple answer is NO. It'll put a .515" hole on the entrance, and a 1" hole on the exit, and the deer will fall down. You'll ruin less meat than a .30-06 or .270. Duh, everyone knows that. So to answer my question, has anyone necked up the .460 Short A-Square to .475? It would allow you to chamber a long action rifle for it, which was the entire point of me considering it as a parent case, Red Neck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

jeffe

Jeffe,

What's the parent case for the Trollbane, and what's the overall length? I have a blueprint already drawn up for the .470 Short A-Square(I'm calling it the .470 Ruark), if you're interested.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
460 weatherby, cut to 2.65, with the shoulder diameter of the 470 ne.

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets see--460 A-Sq straightened--Ah, the 550 Mag Short
we have mentioned on other thread--That is the thing to
do with that case--Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ed,
kurtz, nicht "short"

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok,you must be related to Ross Sayfried,a man who admited to killing deer with a H&H 600 Nitro Express.So I will ask you.Do you eat any meat off the deer?Or do you just take the trophy head home,and leave the rest to the buzzards?Just asking please don't get angry.But Us Red Necks up here in the Catskill's of N.Y.State.Hunt deer with the 22LR,you know head shot no meat loss.Feed the kids?Are you a Banker or a Senator?375 for a deer pill?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

jeffe

Jeffe,

What's the parent case for the Trollbane, and what's the overall length? I have a blueprint already drawn up for the .470 Short A-Square(I'm calling it the .470 Ruark), if you're interested. [/quote)

I am not a troll,I am a tick.You pull your blueprint out on me and I will shove it up your ASS.And you can take that statement to the bank!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it that difficult to understand, Red Neck, that a big bullet at low velocity = big hole with no meat damage? Of course I kept the meat, I didn't lose any. It just put a 3/8" entrance, and 1" exit, no bruising at all. Everyone knows a .270 ruins less meat than a .375 H&H.

Isn't illegal to shoot deer with a rimfire? How many will you admit to wounding and losing with fouled up headshots?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have deer hunted with my wildcat 458. 350 gr bullets.
Once killed two with one shot and bullet went halfway through a hard pine stump after exiting 2nd deer.Stump didn't get away either.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never lost one deer,with my 1953 Mossberg 142-A in 22LR.Bullet IN the EAR,meant going home with meat that night.To feed us kids.And MOMS and DADS and KIDS in the other house,down the road.But damit we did it and lived!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Never lost one deer,with my 1953 Mossberg 142-A in 22LR.Bullet IN the EAR,meant going home with meat that night.To feed us kids.And MOMS and DADS and KIDS in the other house,down the road.But damit we did it and lived!

So? What's that got to do with my wildcat idea? Do you have anything constructive to add? If not, why don't you entertain the guys in the smallbore forum with your awesome stories about the time you took down an elk with a .17 HMR.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look I am just a blood hunter,I only hunt game meat.With the least collateral damage to the meat.To me thats the 22LR.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

So? What's that got to do with my wildcat idea? Do you have anything constructive to add? If not, why don't you entertain the guys in the smallbore forum with your awesome stories about the time you took down an elk with a .17 HMR.

Oh no sir blast with your biggest blasters.Just some people think thats funny.I know I do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh no sir blast with your biggest blasters.Just some people think thats funny.I know I do.

So the only thing you've got to contribute here is the fact that you poach deer with a rimfire. Gee, we're all really impressed here. Why don't you go over to Rimfire Central and tell them about how you drop elephants with a frontal brain shot with your 1894 Winchester pump gun. Maybe they'd actually care.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

460 weatherby, cut to 2.65, with the shoulder diameter of the 470 ne.

jeffe

Jeffe,

Here's the print. It seems to Marty that we could chamber a rifle for this without having to have a reamer made. We could use the .460 Short reamer, and then open up the neck and throat with another reamer. Biggest expense would probably be dies. The brass should be supremely easy to form.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Urodoji, do a search a ways back and you'll find some threads I started about basically the same thing on the beltless case. I think I was calling it the 12x63mm or 470 Mdogo or something like that.
Jeffe, weren't you and I talking about doing a neck reamer on that 2.5" Rigby reamer that you bought from JB (did that ever arrive?)
I was figuring an mild maximum of 2400 fps w/400g bullets, based on minimum taper and a .40" neck, I believe. The pressures seemed to climb rapidly at and after that point.
I bailed for a numebr of reasons, such as having too many wildcat irons in the fire, and realizing that I really just wanted a 470 Mbogo.
That casehead size, on a standard Mauser just didn't sit well with me when the CZ 550 is just waiting patiently at the store....
Enjoy your project!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sir,I do not poach deer,how dare you label me.Sir did you mean 1894 Winchester lever rifle?I have a few of them.Sir are you taking PROZAC now.I sence the hot fire of hate in you.I also know you have no moral perception,and delicacy of feeling.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I am not trying to start a pissing match, just to clear the air. I simply don't accept this bad behavoir, nor should anyone be forced to be beaten with this inept social comentary.

Quote:

Sir,I do not poach deer,how dare you label me....

and this

Quote:

I am not a troll,I am a tick.You pull your blueprint out on me and I will shove it up your ASS.And you can take that statement to the bank!

Redneck, what excatly set you off? As *MY* post says to do a SEARCH on "trollbane" which is a round I was designing that closely matched the topic posted, and was not in response to you

and YOU said you shoot deer with a 22lr (which is ILLEGAL in all states, and is commonly classified as POACHING (poaching is taking game illegallY)

Quote:

.But Us Red Necks up here in the Catskill's of N.Y.State.Hunt deer with the 22LR,you know head shot no meat loss

which you immediately back up and crawfish on by saying
Quote:

Sir,I do not poach deer,how dare you label me.

You have labeled yourself, by you own statements. Since you said "and meat that NIGHT", but didn't say you actually shot the deer, with a 22lr AT NIGHT, we'll just assume you had POACHED these deer with the 22lr, without the added offense of doing it after dark.

the best quote of all, in this matter
Quote:

I also know you have no moral perception,and delicacy of feeling.

and that is why redneck will be going on ignore

jeffe

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the drawing looks great... .40" shoulder AND a belt... outta work... and very close to what bb and i were kickign around.

the reamer seems to have not been found, so we are both hoping it turns up, and I'll send him some money, for the 416x2.5"

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was comparing the loads that were closest to 2400 fps for the .458 Lott, .470 Capstick, and the .460 Short A-Square. If I had to make a SWAG, I'd say the pressure at 2400 fps would probably be around 58k for a 500 grain bullet at 2400 fps from the .470 Ruark.

one of us
posted Hide Post
#1,sorry I am not a poacher,and I certainly am not.But I do stop Deer from eating my apples,and we do have a N.Y.State permit to do so.Apple+Deer=,-apple $$$ in our pocket.
#2,I was thinking your blueprint was a gun,like many I have had pointed at me!Shot two times but kicking none the less.
#3,if one shoots a Deer at 5:am, and can eat it for lunch well I know nothing about dressing,"night".Ignore me if you will,I could care less.You know nothing and I belive would shoot a rabbit with a 4 bore,just to let you know you have the killing power.
#4,WILDCAT,the 1,000 Nitro Express and shoot it.Tell us about it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Red Neck, we don't care about you, your invalid opinions, or how you hunt deer. How do you like dem apples?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Red Neck, we don't care about you, your invalid opinions, or how you hunt deer. How do you like dem apples?

Well to level with you nebula,I could care less.Shithead.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Then go blab to someone who cares. Welcome to the world of "Ignore".

one of us
posted Hide Post
END'O

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Urodoji:
I'm pondering a wildcat based on the .460 Short A-Square necked up to use .475 cal bullets, with no other changes. Has anyone else done this? I could lob 500 grain bullets at slightly lower pressures than the .460 because of the shorter bullets, but could also load it with .475 cal handgun bullets for plinking and deer hunting. Marty at Teppo Jutsu was kind enough to draw up a blueprint, the biggest cost for the project would be the loading dies and the sacrificial Ruger No. 1 to build it on.

tera

how I can form is which box I must use to form 460 Shorts A Square I would like dimension

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
interesting thread, from then to now..

on the trollbane, this morphed into the 470 AR, which is a 2.55" case, with 500gr at at least 2300, if not 2400 with a 26" barrel.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com