Find
Notify
Tools

Here's the 6.5-06 chamber
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Recently stumbled on a sportered 1917 rifle with 24-inch barrel marked 6.5-06.
Here is the Cerrosafe chamber cast I took yesterday next to a fired .25-06 cartridge. Looks to me like a basic, mutt-grade 6.5-06, at least not one of the Ackleys. It differs from the A-Square version in neck length; the A-Square is .319 per SAAMI specs, this one is closer to .350. If I had access to a smith with the Ackley reamer I might be tempted, but this one should be plenty capable once I can work up a load.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well.
now you gone and upset the apple cart.
the 284 and PRC guy's will mock and look at you down their noses.
how dare you mimic their magic ballistics in such an old rifle, with such a simple case to make.

Posts: 4955 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Lamar, shorten the case a wee bit and you basically have Charles Newton's .256 Newton, which he introduced to the world in 1913. There really is very little under the sun that is new.

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you made a good find there.
I'm to the point of only wanting either the 6.5-06 or a 257 weatherby as my next deer rifle.

I really don't have a 'need' for either one, and I haven't even seen a buck around here for a couple of years now.
soo [shrug] the want and or need of either is kind of pointless.
I know there's a few somewhere since I do see some doe's with fawns from time to time, but I see far more without them.

Posts: 4955 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Do you have a 6.5-06 or a 6.5-270? The neck looks longer than a 6.5-06. Is the cast case length 2.54” vs 2.5”?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
It does look like a very long neck.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fellas, I need to fireform a couple of cases here real soon so I can figure out what I have.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fireformed two rounds yesterday using Nosler 6.5-06 A-Square data: 46 grains IMR 4350 under a 129-grain Hornady. Cases look unremarkable with the normal 17-degree, 30-minute shoulder of the .30-06 family as far as I can tell by eyeballing. It appears that longish neck resembles the neck on the .270 -- .046 longer than the .30-06. The only 6.5 dies I have are for the Grendel, so I can't neck down a .270 case and see if it chambers. To be continued ...

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of three different cases and theCerrosafe chamber cast. On the right is a fired Hornady .25-06 case; next is a .25-06 case necked up to 6.5-06 and fired in my rifle's chamber; next is the chamber cast; and last is a fired .270 Winchester case with its longer neck.
My chamber seems to have that longer neck, but there should be no harm in firing cases necked up from the slightly shorter .25-06 brass I have on hand.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A 264-270 is a cool cart!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ordered a set of standard RCBS 6.5-06 A Square dies. Should be in business. Nosler has some nice data for this cartridge online.
By the way, John's younger brother Steve Nosler used to come in to the Medford, OR, Sportsman's Warehouse where I worked for fun post-retirement. Nice guy to talk to about bullets and his older brother. I met some interesting guys workign there. Mike Bellm dropped by occasionally, as did the late John Noveske.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
My now deceased hunting buddy used a 6.5-06 for many a year.

17 Enfield action, Douglas barrel, 4X Weaver.

He killed a lot of Roosevelts, his bullet of choice was 140 grain Partition. Most one shot kills.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Woodhunter, did your late friend live in Oregon or Washington? Can't think of too many other places to hunt Rosies. I'll bet that 140-grain Partition is the nuts on larger game. Nosler data show it running up to 2900 fps.

– John Green, author