Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 Ackley Improved
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted
I recently acquired a ULA Model 20 in 7x57 Ackley Improved and am thinking it would make a dandy little deer getter with 120 grain Ballistic Tips or Triple Shocks. Does anyone have any experience with this round or any loads that have proven successful? Thanks!

Jim

"Learn to disagree without being disagreeable" - Ronald Reagan 1981

Posts: 163 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EricJulsrud
posted Hide Post
Old Dog,

I have a buddy that had one built on a Montana action. He loves it - I know for loads he has just worked up from book on the 7x57Mauser and then compared an extrapolation compared to the 7mm-08, and another caliber that I don't remember which one though. His favorite bullet is the Nosler Accubond out of that rifle so far - he is still playing though. If I remember right his top velocity for a 140grn is around 2800fps +/-.

If I run into him I will ask for his favorite load and then post.

Best advice is to operate in the safety margin - if it isn't fast enough or hot enough for you then buy a bigger caliber. I am actually leaning hard toward building one myself rather than a 6.5x55 Ackley Imp. - descision...
Best of luck
Eric

"He who dies with the most toys wins!"

Posts: 29 | Location: Eastern Oregon, USA | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted Hide Post
7x57 AI is a good chambering. I will send you some load data that I have used if you PM me. The velocity claims for most AI cartridges are rather bold in my opinion. It seems to be a little more efficient than the parent round but not overwhelmingly so. Mine has a tight neck, and a 26"bbl by Lilja. I think that those three do more for me than it being an AI.

Muffin

one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted Hide Post
Muffin:

PM sent.

Jim

"Learn to disagree without being disagreeable" - Ronald Reagan 1981

Posts: 163 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
"Does anyone have any experience with this round or any loads that have proven successful? Thanks!"

Not exactly. But I DO have some experience shooting whitetails with the 120-grain Nosler BT at 3200 FPS from a regular old Ruger in the standard 7X57mm, and I can tell you that load is destructive as hell on edible portions of the deer it hits! You are better off with a slower, less frangible bullets like 140, 150, or 160 grainers for deer. These blow up a lot less meat.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote