Find
Notify
Tools

Wildcatters Anonymous: New Chapter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 SW, 45-70, 700NE, S&H 2-Bore

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the funniest thread I have ever read on AR!

You guys have me in stitches on the couch, grabbing my stomach.

Before I get in too deep, I need to pull back from the abyss, and drop my idea of the 450/350 Express, necking down the 450/400 3" case. I know, I know, it's probably already been done before.

You guys have scared me straight.

Straight?! Hey! I could use the 450 Straight case. Hmmmmmm....

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
429 Harvey popcorn
338/375 Ruger Long Throat. diggin
458 Ruger. Whistling
400 Whelan nilly

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I lost most of my interest in altered states when after dreaming up a 378 Weatherby necked up to 416 . I called Art Alphin with my idea and he said. Just wait. A few months later the 416 Whetherby was in the gun mags.
I quite literally " dreamed" that one up. Was talking in my sleep in a spike camp near Whitefish Lake and described it to a veterinarian from Texas . He told me all about my dream the next day.
The cat was out of the bag.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
surefire7,
Thanks for reviving this thread.
I had forgotten all about it, and it is funny to me too now!
I was trying to quit in 2007. pinocchio
I have done more wildcatting since 2007 than I did before.

One must be crazy about something to really live!

My latest: .408/.338 Lapua Magnum, aka "400 Bateleur."

I ain't dead yet! cuckoo

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP,

You're in deep. It's not too late. Think of your family. Do it for them if not for yourself.

Thanks for the thread RIP. It truly was fun to read.

I feel terrible about this, knowing you're a recovering addict, but I have this idea. It's called the 450/350 Express. Do you think...

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"As far as I know, all of the 7-11s closed here decades ago. If that was your car, it died a nobel death."

Hog Killer, what an exquisite pun! My hat is off to you, sir. A master of subtlety!!!

And yes, I find myself tiptoeing to the edge of the abyss known as wildcatting. It all started with a reasonably unknown round called the 358 Gremlin... All it took was 200-grain cast projectiles from the RCBS 35-200 mould cutting holes at 100 yards, and I was hooked.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see your 358 Gremlin targets. Sounds like you have a great load there. tu2

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomy, we are relieving the barrel extension lugs just a bit to try to fix the feeding problem. As soon as I determine whether or not that fixes the feed issue, I will shoot you some targets and send them.

Truthfully, everything to this point has been just trying to work out the cycling and feeding problems, and some of the loads I have had to feed and shoot single stage (if that is the proper term...). A mag does not exist for the Gremlin, so we have been trying to cobble something up from a 7.62, a 6.8 or maybe a 6.5 Grendel mag and get it to work. That is still on-going as well. But we are getting closer; I found out that Alexander Arms makes a barrel extension specifically for the Beowulf. I have to believe that would solve our problem as far as hard cast hanging up on the extension lugs.

I haven't forgotten you, just been kind of busy. I will keep you apprised of what we find out, but so far, accuracy from the round is not going to be the issue; it will be getting the rifle to run in semi-auto as designed...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
When dedicated mags get made this wild kitten will take off IMHO. There were some mags that worked better with filing down the internal rib. The specific mag I am referring to is on the Gremlin thread. Can't remember off the top of my head. Hope all goes well. tu2

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it was C Products 6.8 mags, but they have now split and C Products is back, as is ASC (owned by one half of what used to be the C Products owners, if memory serves...).

I really don't know which is better, but we will figure it out. I have C Products mags but no ASCs as of yet...

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
R_I_I_I_P...
I've got another left-hand Ruger 77 in .300 Win Mag that is complaining the other guns in the safe are teasing it for being so "common." It needs to be (quiet..shh...wildcatted). Any ideas after our building the .395s?
Come hither, the idea says.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Doc...
500 diameter ?
400 ish diameter?

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
R_I_I_I_P...
I've got another left-hand Ruger 77 in .300 Win Mag that is complaining the other guns in the safe are teasing it for being so "common." It needs to be (quiet..shh...wildcatted). Any ideas after our building the .395s?
Come hither, the idea says.
Max,

You need a 475 Ruger, barrel with 1:10" twist. Cases made using the .375 Ruger Basic Brass.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max,
See if you can find out what a .458 B&M Ex is.
.458 BMX?

If I had not been saved by acquisition of a .458 B&M, I probably would have done a .458/.375 Ruger ... straight neck-up, no shoulder blow-out.

As it is, on the horizon are a 20 Gauge 3.5" Ruger No.1 with a Verney-Carron fully rifled barrel:
NOT to be barrel-stamped ".615 Nitro Express 3.5-Inch" for BATFE purposes, but referred to by that as a pet name.

Then a .408/.338 Lapua Magnum (400 Bateleur) ... Ruger No.1 first, then a CZ 550 Magnum.

Then a .510/50-140 Sharps 3.25" on a Ruger No.1,
formerly known as the ".510 Nitro Express" first built by D'Arcy Echols for Bob Schneidmiller about 1993 or earlier.

Then I am going to try to quit the habit, again.
pinocchio

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
RIPeroonie...
Sounds like a cool (Ruger#) one. I too would like a .615" #1 but on a 577 case for 40k psi fun for a 24/20 Gauge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
RIPeroonie...
Sounds like a cool (Ruger#) one. I too would like a .615" #1 but on a 577 case for 40k psi fun for a 24/20 Gauge.

Ah, but that screws up the use of standard 20 Gauge plastic hulled slug loads
from 2-3/4" to 3.5", sabots and Hammerheads,
which fit perfectly in the chamber made for 3.5" RMC brass.

.615-cal/920-grainers at 25,000 psi is more than enough fun for me. Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
We use 577NE 3"case to make 24ga FH, same

power as 577, but can be used in shotgun only

areas, because barrel/cases marked 24ga.

And there is about 30 bullets and slug /sabot combos to be found

to use in 24ga and same bore as 585HE, same barrels,

we and Mcgowen have bunches of.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed,

But I have this 20 gauge rifled barrel that I got from you, and I have 920-grain 20 gauge slugs for which I had a custom mould made by Brooks Tru-Bore,
so this is what I am doing:

Asking Rusty Mcgee if he can make a muzzle brake like this:

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Guys, Sorry I haven't replied...travelling. The .458 B&M (couldn't find ex version) sounds good as does the .458 Ruger. Have thought of a larger caliber, but .458 handles everything I may ever want to hunt. Don't plan on going after ephelant. Now, I wonder what a 6.5-.375 Ruger might be like? We have a lot of long range antelope here in Colorado.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
I have been gone a long time.
A totally change of life, new job, got married, kids, bought a farm that needed lots of rebuilding.

I am just getting back to my roots, setting up a new gunsmithingshop in the old barn. Just for hobby and parttime work, but still.

I left the stage with a lot of unfinnished buisness in the Wildcat Department.

First I created the .300, 338 and 375 FGC - Fossdal Gunsmithing Cartrige.
were I finnished and hunted a lot with the .300.
They were made on 9,3x74R brass, shortened to 70mm, turned off rim, used a standard .30-06 die-set for the top part and a cut off .308 die for the rear part. The idea was to achieve standard length belted magnum velocities from a cartridge with the 06 head size and fill out the length in the long 700 reciever.
What they really are, is a modern version of Peterlongo's cartridges from early 1900's.
That was before becoming a member here.

Holy crap, the cellphonecameras of those days!!
Here is .30-06, .300 FGC, .338-06, .338 FGC, .375 Whelen and .375 GFC

Next came my two gems that never made it all the way home.
My .425Fossdal, a case with a head like a .240 Weatherby but 66mm long opened up to take the .423 bullet, to duplicate the original loads of 400grs at 2100 fps. from an 06 head and length. Brass was made but they never reached me and the project numbed.
I do not think anyone ever made anything like it.

The middel one, first prototype, finnished version go all the way to the cannelure. Flanked by .458 WM and 10,75x68

My .405 Belted, based on .240 Weatherby, shortened to fill a short Rem 700 action with the original bullet of the .405 Winchester, to duplicate the original ballistics. A dummy was made and that's it. I am sure someone has made something very close.

.308 Win, 350 Mag, ,405 Belted.

My plan is to get both going in not to far a future.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Hey Bent!
Glad to see things going well for you.
Where is your brass for the 425 Fossdal? One of the coolest cats around!

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Boom, amazing to see that this Place is exactly like before! :-)

Apparently the brass is located at Midway, will look in to this on monday!

Cheers, Bent.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about a .50Ruger?. I am sure it exists...but where?.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
What about a .50Ruger?. I am sure it exists...but where?.

I think Capoward was making that.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
lol Yep, Michael helped with preparation of the dummy cartridges using the .500 MDM LN (Long Neck, the original cartridge) dies. Here’s the photo I prepared of a dummy and the bullets available at that time:

– obviously before the BBW#13 nose profile was developed.

I have six dummy cartridges, 2-finish chamber reamers (different throat specifications), Go/No-Go/Field gauges, C&H reloading dies, a few hundred .375 Ruger Basic Brass (cylindrical) cases, and a Pac-Nor CM 1:12” twist barrel.

But I’ve not built the rifle – a Ruger M77 ought to be very easy to go with as it should only require slight modification of the magazine feeding lips.

Today it makes more sense to go with Michael’s 500 B&M (2.5” RUM case) as the case has better taper and the same estimated case capacity.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Guys, Sorry I haven't replied...travelling. The .458 B&M (couldn't find ex version) sounds good as does the .458 Ruger. Have thought of a larger caliber, but .458 handles everything I may ever want to hunt. Don't plan on going after ephelant. Now, I wonder what a 6.5-.375 Ruger might be like? We have a lot of long range antelope here in Colorado.

Well, with the release of the 26 Nosler, the 6.5mm-375 Ruger is a reality; even though there are some differences at the shoulder.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, with the release of the 26 Nosler, the 6.5mm-375 Ruger is a reality; even though there are some differences at the shoulder.
Um...not quite. The 26 Nosler is a rebated rim cartridge (.532" rim and .550" head of case body) whereas the 375 Ruger case is standard rimless case (.532" for rim and head of case body).

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My bad... I looked at the Nosler page and saw the rim dimension and thought they had just carried it forward. Thank you for the correction.

The 375 Ruger would have been a better basis for this cartridge, in my opinion. A smaller bored cartrdige (6.5 or 7 mm) based on the Ruger case would make a great combo with the 375 or 416.