THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    If you could only have only ONE wildcat...what would it be?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you could only have only ONE wildcat...what would it be?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My RCBS dies are marked 416 Taylor. I like the round and have used it on everything from whitetails to buffalo.

Posts: 53 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 12 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
Easy. 6-284.

+1

6-270 Weatherby

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never owned one but the 8mmx30-06 always made a lot of since top me inasmuch as thousands of old nice 8x57 Mausers have been available for many years and the 8mm on the 06 case is a rechamber only and the velocity and bullet weight are equal to the 338-06, and that ain't all bad..Certainly a very practical wildcat, something that can't be said for the majority of them.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
You just made a good case for the 338-06.

(PS later: I missed the point about using an old 8mm barrel. Still, a person needs to ask why the ONE wildcat for someone would be to neck up a 30-06 one and a half calibers?)

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.