9.3 -375 Ruger?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted
So I have an old stainless Ruger MK2 in 7 rem mag
And a 24" #3 benchmark barrel in 9.3
What do you think of this wildcat?

Also have a Mk2 stainless in 30-06 which could be used as well...

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sure it will work; if you can afford the reamer and the custom dies. Not a whole lot of diff from the 375 version though.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
probably better than one in .358". You can get bullets up to 320gr for the 9,3.

Pencil in about $650 for dies and a reamer, if you go thru CH4D. More if you try anybody else. Dave likes such esoteric cartridges.

Dave is an entertaining and creative person, and not afraid to step outside the box of conformity. Several years ago he wanted a double rifle to hunt Cape Buffalo with.
He rummaged thru reams of data and found the 38-90 WCF. The Germans took that case, about 1900 or so, and necked it from .382" to .366" caliber. The call it the 9,3x74R. Dave tells me, when I came to him wanting a 38-90 for the Quigley, that is what he had done. In his own words, he said that any idiot with a dremel tool could turn the ,3 into a .5. Thus the 9,5x74R (same specs as the 38-90) returned to prominence in a DR. iirc, Dale Eakins built it for him. He was shooting the 270gr Speer softpoints close to 2400fps if memory serves me right. He had a set of dies in stock, and told me Dave Manson had made the reamer. Dave made me one, and last count, there were six or seven built here in the Boise area.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
I figured a Reamer at $175 or so.
Are custom dies big bucks?

Thanks for the replies

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead Eye:
So I have an old stainless Ruger MK2 in 7 rem mag
And a 24" #3 benchmark barrel in 9.3
What do you think of this wildcat?

Also have a Mk2 stainless in 30-06 which could be used as well...

Shorten the neck and enjoy a powerhouse!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'd rather have a 9.3X64 or a 375 Ruger than a combo wildcat.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's to be gained?

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:
What's to be gained?

BC values.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm with Forrest, just stick with the 9.3x64, besides Erupean brass has gotten easier to get than domestic brass, that's a first.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Kablury's . I mean Kabluewy 366 Alaskan. The reamer is available as are dies. It duplicates pretty much exactly the 9.3×64 Brenneke. But!! And that's a Big BUT !!!
Brass is super easy to find. 338 Win mag or 7 mag brass. .
It is also known as the 9.3 or .366/338 Win mag.
Powder charge,bullet weight and velocity matches the 64.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
He's a member here. Or at least was. kabluewy@gmail.com

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Assembled now.
Hopefully shoot it this weekend

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking rig DeadEye. Where did you source your dies? Were they made from a print or did you supply fired cases?

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Dies were built by redding based on the reamer drawings.
They nailed me with the custom charge but after following up on the delivery date, I learned that there were several 9.3/375's in the que ahead of me, which accelerated my delivery. No savings though...

The reamer was designed around the ruger factory 3.4" mag box, and the 250 tsx, but should work good with the ttsx, and accubond as well

One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post

Fired 7 shots today.

Going to step up the rl15 load. Looks pretty decent so far.

Every manual says to try that hybrid 100v but it's been a waste of time for me in everything...

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Looks a good, tough, all weather thumper that will be a pleasure to carry. Enjoy.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
So thanks to DeadEye I go my hands on the reamer and had an Abolt in 300 WinMAg come my way cheap.
So BitsofPieces in Delta is putting a 9.3 mm McGowan #4 barrel on it.
So why not a 9.3x64? Primarily brass is really hard to get here. Bullets are ok. For me 9.3 is a magical caliber I grew up with. Maternal Family in Deutsch Sued-west and so on. Watching driven boar hunts. Rational decision? No way. Gun is set to arrive in about 4 weeks Cool

Posts: 1 | Location: Northern BC | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mooze:
So thanks to DeadEye I go my hands on the reamer and had an Abolt in 300 WinMAg come my way cheap.
So BitsofPieces in Delta is putting a 9.3 mm McGowan #4 barrel on it.
So why not a 9.3x64? Primarily brass is really hard to get here. Bullets are ok. For me 9.3 is a magical caliber I grew up with. Maternal Family in Deutsch Sued-west and so on. Watching driven boar hunts. Rational decision? No way. Gun is set to arrive in about 4 weeks Cool

I have had a 9.3x64 rifle for over 10 yrs now. When I decided to build the 9.3x64 I had several "knowledgeble" shooters tell me brass would be impossible to find. Well you will NOT find any at the local Walmart sporting goods,but it is not that hard to find. There are several dealers that import brass and ammo will bring in RWS brass if you ask them. I have found both brass and loaded ammo at local gun shows. When I was having my 9.3x64 built I discovered that cases can be made from 338 or 458 Win cases. It requires the use of a small lathe but it is not difficult at all.
1 machine of the belt and reduce the case head to the size of factory 9.3x64 cases.
2 recut the extractor groove using a shell holder as your go guage
3 resize in your 9.3x64 FL die and load
4 shoot cases to fire form
I did this to 100 win cases (458) and never lost a single case. My win cases have the exact same capacity as factory RWS cases and accept the same loads.
Being afraid of a 9.3x64 because you can't find brass is a lame excuse. It is however a great caliber.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Today 9.3x64 brass is readily available..Its a great caliber and Ive used it in Africa several times, but the fact is I found a properly set up 9.3x62 with a long throat and magazine would come very close to equaling the 64...Based on that Ive pretty well stayed with the 9.3x62 over the years and have successfully shot a good deal of Dangerous Game with it. Its an excellent second rifle on Safari along with a big bore such as a 404 Jefferys or 416 Rem in my case, or for the most part as I tend to take different guns on Safari, as I like to experiment, its part of the fun..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote