New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I have here?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I opened 2 boxes of brass that I acquired about 20yrs ago. They were in Western X boxes marked 303 British.
2 different pieces of formed brass. Headspace on both says 303 British and Super Speed. The one on the left has about a 224 ID in the neck and the other is .208 on the ID.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.303/22

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 249 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ismith:

They one of the left looks like a 22-303 improved, but what is the one to the right?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
Originally posted by ismith:

They one of the left looks like a 22-303 improved, but what is the one to the right?

Somebody's 204-303 wildcat idea?

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 249 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would have been my first thought, but the brass is at least 35-40years old. The length, taper, and shoulder angle are different between the two.
The old friend's estate that I got this from had some real treasures. 2 cases, 10,000 rounds. of primed 22mag rimfire brass. Red was doing the 17HMR at least 10 years before it was introduced. I have a lot of 250 Savage brass without headstamp, as well as 223, and 30-30 without headstamps. It came with a thousand rounds of unheadstamped 223 with long necks and no flash holes. I have also 2 cases, 1000 rounds, of Remington 6BR brass with no flash holes. The serious guys in the "olden days" had their own ideas on flash hole sizes and drilled their own.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
About 20+ years ago there was this old man lived in a cabin downtown (then before we grew). When they put old Bill in the home w/ alzheimers,the neighbor bought the house. 1st move was to put in a new electrical svs. My buddy,the electritian called me up + said,get your ass down here NOW w/ all the boxes you have. Seems old batchelor Bill was a wildcatter all the way back into the 30's.I got more stuff out of that house before it was thrown in the dumpster... now the sad part of the tale. The kids that did the cleanup went to HS with my son.They came over one afternoon + saw my moulding blocks + asked what they were. I told them + then they said that they had thrown a whole wheelbarrow load of those in the dumpster;I think they were called Hensley + Gibbs.No point crying over spilled milk but it still hits me hard.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi,

have seen those Cases at Ellwood Epps Store in Canada few years ago.

https://ellwoodepps.com/hunting/firearms.html

Best
Wildcat

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Australia, after WW2 (?), SMLE service rifles were released to the public cheap.

Many wildcats on .303 cases resulted (.22s, .243, .270, etc) among them were shortened and full length .22s on the .303 case.

I'd say it's one of those.

I expect this happened in all the Commonwealth countries.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About the same happened next door to me.
John died, SIL and Dau trashed a couple hundred pounds of linotype, bunches of bullets and molds.

I saw the pile out by the trash and it didn't look right. Went over and saw what was in it and came to get my wheelbarrow. Made quite a haul.

Complete wine making set up too. Place is/was on the blind side of my shop building so I don't know how much more I missed out on. Sometimes they went in the back out of sight.
They knew he and I swapped stuff at times. Fully expect the powder and primers went when I didn't see it happen.
Wasn't any of either one that I found. I know he had a good stash, and bunch of brass too.

Sickening what some assholes will do knowing they could give it to someone else that would put it to good use. They'd rather trash it than share. Hell, if they'd of just let me know I'd of helped clean the place out.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote