Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 9.3X62 to .375
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Alf,
Your correct as usual, but I can get about 7% more powder in a 9.3x62 Lapua and 5% in a Norma than I can in any fireformed 9.3x62 06 case, now what that does for velocity is probably about 50 FPS I suspect and is of little importance, but just some gun club trivia.

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I forgot to check last night but I think the Barnes manual has loading data for it. Like Ray said, there is more capacity than the '06 so 375 Whelan loads ought to be a good start too.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! The 375 Scoville sounds great. All I need to do is drop it in a long action and seat the heavy bullets out...might need a slightly longer throat, but that is it!

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smoker -

Thanks...this puppy wil also shoot the Woodleigh 350 grainers 2250 fps, thanks in part to the long COL.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
The old Manl. round is 57 mm vs 62 for the proposed wildcat. The '06 case must have the shoulder moved forward to match the 9.3X62. The extra capacity created by giving the 9.3 a max COL of 3.60 is good for an extra 146 fps with heavy bullets, and the increase in bore diameter to .375 adds another 35 fps for a total of 181 fps.

Ray's 320 gr load in the 9.3 is impressive, and there may not be a need for more power...he has a good point, as usual.

However, given the ease of making this wildcat, I would still lean towards an ability to use the lighter .375 bullets at higer velocities for longr range shooting. Alternatively, one could get Ray's velocities from a 22 inch bbl, possibly even from a 20.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf has reminded us of the venerable 9,5x57 Mannlicher-Sch�nauer, and then there is the new German powerhouse magnum, the 9,5x66 SEvH. Between these, I see little need for a further 9,5mm :-).

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I think you can buy 375 Scoville cases headstamped and ready to go. Reamers are fairly common too.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Alf, I believe the 9.3 x 62 case is unique; not an '06 derivative. And the .375 on the 9.3 x 62 case is (I think) the 375 Scoville. The 9.5 x 57 is altogether different than either, isn't it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The hawk's are based on the /06 case

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey gang,
Before I went over to the dark side of fiberglass stocks and exotic metal finishes I once owned a lovely-take down Mannlicher Schoennauer M 1910 in 9.5x57. Trim, light, long barrel, lovely sights, and lock works from the time when bolt actions were new, and perfect functioning was an urgent matter of national pride. And then I shot the bastard. That crescent butt plate drove my clavical through and out the back side of my scapula.

A good bullet for the modest velocities possible from your proposed creature is the 270 grain round nosed Hornady, or a simmilar offering from Woodleigh.

Do take care to match the weight of your bang stick to the magnitude of the bang. Avoid mountain gun profiles(see shoulder problems above). Don't get it too heavy, elsewise you should have made it a 375 H&H.

I believe the round that your heart yearns for already exists: The 376 Steyr. Good brass is available (indeed, your arrogant correspondent has 500 cases in the closet). It will feed and function in an agreeable manner from and through a Montana 1999 action. Well mannered, medium speed powders (Varget, BL-C2)unite with a perfectly capacious case, and your choice of any light weight .375 calibre vunder-geschossen to produce the earthy aroma of arterial blood draining from you intended mammalian mega-fauna prey animal.

It is indeed the right cartridge, in the right action, at the right time, in your (right)hand.

Fuck medicine, I'm going to the big city to write ad copy.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TERA

I would like to know the length of the casing 375 Shannon the degree of the shoulder the length until A the shoulders

(measurement to be able to do it).

Good year of Paris