New
Find
Notify
Tools

Total and utter newb
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a good place to go look at the ballistics of "common" wildcats? I know that's a contradiction of terms but I have skulking thru the posts here for a few weeks and when someone talks about a certain cartridge I have no clue how to find out what the ballistics are or what it's derived from.

Thanks

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Ruger #1---

The definitive books to have in your library are, "Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges" by Ken Howell, available from Precision Shooting Magazine, and P.O. Ackley's "Handbooks for Shooters and Reloaders". That's a two volume set and is much better as historical reference than a reloading manual. Ackley had no chronograph.....and it shows. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildcat and improved cartridges are overloaded by their owners. Thus the data that is out there shows very high velocities and pressures that are usually described as "safe in my rifle"!

There is a compulation of articles in a huge book called "Wildcat Cartridges" published by Wolfe in Prescott Az.

There may be chronographs around but little pressure measuring gear besides the analog methods we all go by like bolt life etc.

One of the more popular wildcats around here is the 6mm/250 with a 1-8 twist for 600 yd and closer target shooting.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll have to go get one of those old fashioned paper pulp information distribution devices. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger#1-

Yes!!! We all need to support the timber/paper industry!!!

We need all the help we can get!!!

Bob [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 120 | Location: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Ruger#1 said he was going to buy an,
quote:
old fashioned paper pulp information distribution devices
They ARE easier to read by flash-light when the 'Lectricity goes off.

[Smile] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
and they are mucho more desirable in the outhouse!
[for whatever reason] [Big Grin]
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seriously, I don't see how newspapers stay in business. It's been literally a couple years since I have read one and at least 10 since I have had a subscription. I get all my news from da boob tube.

[ 04-08-2003, 03:16: Message edited by: Ruger#1 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I spend 8+ hours on a computer every day, and still prefer paper. Maybe it's just the texture of paper versus the feel of plastic keys.

I have an old book on wildcats, good book, but missing many many of the new cartridges. That would be a good project for this whole group to undertake putting together, a new book on wildcats. Between everybody here every wildcat in existence has probably been tried.

Any members of the forum work for a publishing house?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Ruger #1, you have adopted a good handle...I sure hope you don't BELIEVE ANYTHING you get off the tube news programs....