THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    50 BMD, 500 Whisper, or 50/460WMX2"

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 BMD, 500 Whisper, or 50/460WMX2"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a rifle in the 460 WM cut to 2" and necked up to 50,nice cartridge and I like it.
I am shooting USGI bullets but am thinking that the next one might be 2 1/4" just for a little more versatility. I do not need or want the power of the 500 A square or equivilent.What do you guys think?
SS

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SS;

Been thinking about doing a XP in the 50X460x2.5WBY in a XP-100 action from SSK.How do you like it who did it where did you get dies at and anyhting else you can tell me.

Wade

Posts: 219 | Location: indiana | Registered: 07 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wade, are you from Logansport In.?
Anyway, if you are going to shoot BMG bullets, than you do not need more length than 2.0". I have a hard time with the recoil of my 7# mauser at full cap. loads, in an XP more length would be wasted.
I got the dies with the rifle,they are Hornady dies

one of us
posted Hide Post
SS

Close but no I live in Newburgh about a 2 hour drive or less I think.JD says use the 2.5 case less pressure.How do you like this round.I will be using 50BMG bullets along with some others.

Wade

Posts: 219 | Location: indiana | Registered: 07 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Handcannon
I think in a rifle the 2.5" length for BMG slugs and others would be about perfect, it would give you just a little more room to play.
I like the 2" just fine and I really do not need more length. I was shooting the 650 grain
API at about 1700 to 1800 fps and it was about killing me. I had to pull the slugs and reduce the powder charge because of recoil.In a handgun I KNOW you will not need the 2.5", but get a 2"
you will have a ball.