THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    I am thinking of being stupid again 270-08AI or 270 Redding

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am thinking of being stupid again 270-08AI or 270 Redding
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Have always wanted to do this. Is either the 270-08AI or 270 redding easier to own or build?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
So, usually .007 warning aside (hi 708)

(note - if ya'll don't know, mike and I are friends and long time hunting buddies, so it's NOT really just poopoo on a wildcat idea)

Find which one you can find dies, then brass, then a reamer for ...

midway has qualcart 270 redding
https://www.midwayusa.com/270-redding/br?cid=21600

In fact, it looks like there's a good deal of support for the redding on midway

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?us...&userItemsPerPage=48

Looks like dies are going to be $200 bucks
Brass is $2 bucks a pop

I didn't find a reamer, so i'll assume $225 from manson -

then barrel and gun smith

I'll sell you a savage in 270 win, and find some remington 270 managed recoil ammo --- for FAR less than barrel, reamer, dies --

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hence the title Big Grin

I am surprised it has not been commercialized given that every other caliber has been on the 308.

I think it has to do with Winchester having the 243 and 270 Win and Remington already having the 7mm-08 & 280 Remington and neither wanted to cannibalize existing sales.

It is certainly not because of the "already does what I can do" because there has been no need for a new cartridge since about 1955.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
243 vs 6mm ... and people "ai" the 243 .. but the case is STILL smaller than a 6mm .. 6x57

Mike,
if it turns your crank, do it! It's not as "silly" as a 338x08, which had no good bullets for ballistics, as you can get pretty decent results with the existing bullets

Rob often tells me to go lay down when i get back on about the 585 nyati - i am infatuated with the round ---

If you can put this together, as something to bring you pleasure/fulfillment/etc man, have fun!

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Of course I could always get a 7mm-08 load 145s with modern powders and get better perfromance.

Oh damn that means I could just use my existing 308 and load with modern powders and get better performance...damn logic and efficiency are so boring

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 270-08 is a great round made one for an elderly friend who was tired of packing a pre64 win in 270 which weighed almost 10#. With a short rem action and a take off barrel set back the difference between 270 win and 243 win using a combo of 243 reamer for the body And 270 win for neck with cut off 270 weatherby dies the round ran 130 gr Nosler solid base bullets at just a few feet below 2900fps. He loved it and the cost was well within reason. Good luck with yours if you go ahead. Lynn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being an old wildcatter, I don't think ANY wildcat is "stupid", but questions always arise. Those two and similar 'cats have been around since the 308 case first came out.

My question would be "Why" AI the case at all for the miniscule gains when there are several "New" cases available much easier to work with, WITH much cheaper dies that would give you better performance in the same weight/receiver package...WSM, slightly modified SAUM and 284 cases and others.

There is always the joy and satisfaction of doing something "different" and having the bragging rights tho', and/or having something to talk about on forums. tu2 Big Grin

My vote is to cogitate a while then DOIT, irrespective of cost.

Good Hunting tu2 wave beer

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, if you want it, that is reason enough. You don't need a special reamer either; just a 243 and a 270, which must smiths have. Not I, as I do not bother with bullets that small.
Now, a 308-338, you are talking. And actually, it is very efficient. 338 Federal, so no longer a wildcat.
I would build it on a long action though, as then you can seat bullets anywhere you need to. With a throater reamer.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, I appreciate it when somebody else does stupid.... it takes some of the workload off me!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OH, YEAH...ME TOO, ALSO, EVEN...

I'm not gonna say what my next two projects entail until I finish them...IF I finish them. I'm just about to drop a dollar or two on a "cheapo" rifle for the base receiver...have to buy a new one because I can't find a cheaper used one, locally, online, Ebay or the auction houses. Mad Confused moon

Good Hunting beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tis a 708 indeed...at twice the price.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want an "AI" type shoulder, why not use a 6.5 Creedmore reamer run it in deep and use the 270 reamer for the throat only?? I don't do this often like you guys so if I am off base, wrong or thinking stupid, its ok to tell me to shut up. I will

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
404 jeffrey, improved, cut down, necked to .277 ..

270 WSM....

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
'tis an illustrious, infamous, ludicrous crowd you will be joining when you do either one wave ...IF you do either one...or something equally "different"... Big Grin Eeker dancing tu2

Good Luck clap beer lol

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
6.8x57 Mauser Chino
A rare WW1 era cart but worth a second to ponder.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildcatters get wilder every generation, and keep rebuilding the wheel... dancing

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Do it if you feel the need or desire.

Reminds me of the first time shooting my 6.5mm SAUM at the range where some old timer asked me why i needed to be different.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one rifle 270/243AI ,,,and love it, is so precise and lethal, with imr4350-50grs and 130grs bullet sierra sbt or nosler bt, is awesome on deer and coyotes.

same velocity of his large brother 270win, gatting 3050fps with 130grs and 2900fps with 140grs in a small compact rifle

Posts: 30 | Location: Mexico, City | Registered: 24 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a nice Mauser in 7x57 AI that I would maybe consider parting with.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
If interested in craigsters 7x57 AI,I have several boxes of loaded ammo that is left over from when I sold mine,just a thought.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Craigster,

I appreciate the offer but I do something silly I am going to do it with the 270AI.

I find this cartridge fascinating. In my opinion it seem the 308 case is perfect for the 277 bullet.

Not that any of this has any practical difference, but velocities are better than the 7mm-08 for proportional weight bullets and I like 277 diameter for hunting over the 6.5.

Yes the 6.5 has killed many a moose in Scandinavia, but I think many folks would say a 270 is adequate for elk but would be a little hesitant with a 6.5. Just my take on the general sentiment.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

P.O. said about the .270/.308 Improved:

"This cartridge easily equals the the Standard .270 Winchester but with more than a 10% lower powder charge. This cartridge is a good example of proper adjustment between case capacity and bore size. Being slightly under bore capacity increases the relative efficiency."

Go for it ! And keep us posted.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote