Find
Notify
Tools

Help me with a name?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
I've had all sorts of ideas for what to with my 300WinMag if/when the barrel wears out. Seems it always involves going bigger. Can't help it.

One idea that just popped up is a 300WM case necked to 9.3mm. I assume I'd have the set the shoulder back a bit to give me a decent neck. OAL would be near 3.340" although I could use a 375H&H magazine for some more length. Twist will be whatever's best for 250-286gr bullets.

And I'm quite sure I'm not the first guy to think of this. So what is this Wildcat called? And what sort of performance might I expect? From case capacities on some other 9.3s I'd guess I might beat the 9.3x64 Brenneke, but that's just a stab in the dark.

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Das 9.3mm Eargersplittenloudenboomer!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm....
How about 366 Chettfield-Taylor?
Or 9.3 Winchester?
Or 375 H&H - 366 x 2.5" Imp?
Or 360 Koo-koo-kachoo?
Or 9.3 Pinky Tuscadero?
Or .93dm "I'm out of order?! YOU'RE out of order! This whole COURT is out of order!!!"?

If you need any more help, I'll be in my room.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a 8mm Rem mag necked to 9.3? (thats the recipe I remember anyway) Its called the 9.3 Sisk - built by Charley Sisk in Dayton Tx - very good gunsmith and a real nice guy too. Lets you go bigger and scratch that 9.3 itch

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're interested in the .35 cal, I'd puch you in that direction. A 264, 308, 358 and 416 would make a fabulous set. You could go 260, 300 Win, 358 STA and 416 Dakota. That's logical, right?
Any of the magnum 358 (Norma, STA, RUM) rounds would be agreat choice for a rebarrel. The Norma would be the obvious, of course, but when you look at the cost of a barrel, chambering, finish, adding a 3.6" box is next to nothing.
And I for one was NOT being sarcastic!
Genius is often misinterpreted.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Oh oh, I forgotted the name,
what about .366 Big Boom?

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
More easy to manage: a 8x68 necked up making a 9.3x67/8, a non belted magnum.
I don't love belted cases .....

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
how about the 9.3 win mag gonzo freak!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking brand spanking new barrel. The Stalker's barrel is pretty thin, not pencil-weight but I don't think there's enough to cut a bigger hole. Chamber and twist will be set up for best performance with 286gr bullets. If that makes it longer than 3.34" OAL I'll buy a spare 375H&H box. I figure a 24" barrel of whatever contour will get me to about 8lbs all up. Maybe a sturdier synthetic stock too, since the Browning is a little flimsy, though I've had no trouble with it.

9.3 GFP it is then. Has a nice ring to it. And, might as well keep it metric.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I vote for the 9.3 Gonzo also.

Are you thinking of haveing the barrel bored and rifled and then just cutting a new neck and throat? Maybe something on the RUM case?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I would go with a 12" twist, and definitely a full-length magazine.
With a 2.5" case, and a .35" long neck, that leaves 1.2" from base of neck to 3.34" (right?)
Make it a 2.6" case, and 3.5" COL and you have 1.25" for the bullet. This would be great for 250g and up bullets. Especially if you're thinking of a lot of copper (solids, for instance.)
The 286g North Fork is going to be about 1.40-4" long. If you chose that bulelt or that type of bullet, you'd be well off just going with the 2.6" case and a 3.6" COL, and still sticking into the powder room a hair. Fill it with RL22 and you'd have one helluva combo right there.
Send that mother out at 2800 fps at whatever you want dead.

Me, I like the 9.3 YNH "You're Name Here."

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
9.3 shorty

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3 gonzo
9.3-300 mag
9.3 Your last name
9.3 mothers maiden name
9.3 magnum
.366 magnum
.366-300mag
.366 kicker
.366 genuine rectified busthead (grb)

Posts: 81 | Location: Up nort | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana-be,

Thanks for you kind and helpful words. Note I said "near unanimous." All that took me by surprise, especially on the Wildcat forum.

Anyway, and with all due respect; I think the STA and Dakota are bit much for me. I got the 300WinMag instead of the Wby because I figured the WinMag would do. Same reasoning will lead me to:

358 Norma over 358 STA

9.3 GFP (named it what I wanted) over 9.3 Sisk

416 Rem over 416 Dakota.

The stuff on the left will serve my "needs" as well as the stuff on the left with less abuse on the shooter end and should work out a little better economically.

So that's that. I'll file all this away under "one day" and go about my business. Thanks for all the input, even the sarcastic stuff, which was quite funny after all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tera

You could give me the basic gauges to be able to form the following gauges with the measures of length of the casings.
Following gauges
-366 Chettfield-Taylor?
-9.3 Winchester?
-375 H&H - 366 x 2.5" Imp?
-360 Koo-koo-kachoo?
-9.3 Pinky Tuscadero?
-366 Big Boom
-9.3 win mag gonzo
-9.3 gonzo
-9.3-300 mag
-9.3 Your last name
-9.3 mothers maiden name
-9.3 magnum
-.366 magnum
-.366-300mag
-.366 kicker
-.366 genuine rectified busthead (grb)

Thank you for the answer that you would make me by

one of us
posted Hide Post
Er, um...
First of all, you might want to get a refund for that handheld translator! :-P (KIDDING!)
Second, that list you made is just names we came up with for GFP's 300 Win Mag necked up to 9.3mm bullet.
Well, most of them. The 360 Koo-Koo-Kachoo is a traditional Walrus hunting round from back in the heyday of the great British Invasion.
Cheers.
The Eggman

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gonzo FreakPower:
From case capacities on some other 9.3s I'd guess I might beat the 9.3x64 Brenneke, but that's just a stab in the dark.

There's no doubt you will beat the 9.3x64. By how much, that I don't know.

Names hmmmmmmmm
.366 Gonzo or 9.3 Gonzo the names are short and to the point. Aim, shoot and the animal is "Gonzo"! cheers

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
how bout going to the 411 to accomodate all the new heavy 400 holland and holland bullets and all the cheap 405 winchester bullets...call it the 411 fyi (for your information) animal

http://www.northforkbullets.com/411-300.htm

http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/Bullets.html#Anchor-42678

simillar to the 411 kdf

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The eargensplittenloudenboomer name was taken quite a number of years ago when someone necked down the 8mm Rem Mag case to a .223 bullet. Stated velocities were in excess of 5000 fps but the bullets then never made it to the paper.

As for my suggestion? Just call it what it is, a 9.3x300WM

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace - Luke 11:21
Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of
Congress...But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote