New
Find
Notify
Tools

is the 22 CHeetah dead?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have stumbled into about 400 Rem 308BR cases (new old stock). Kinda thinking about building a CHeetah unless someone has a better idea what to do with them.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember Carmichael writing about the Cheetah 30 years ago. It used .308 brass with small rifle primers kneccked down to .22 and was supposed to be pretty accurate. Haven't heard anything about it in many years, I'm guessing it's pretty much died and really didn't have much life to begin with. That's no reason not to build one, though. Hell, if I wanted one I'd build one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22-243 Middlestead and it uses standard 243 Win brass with large primer. Great cartridge and works fine with large primers. Never understood why they wanted a small primer in the Cheetah, I think that's why its dead.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
I have a 22-243 Middlestead and it uses standard 243 Win brass with large primer. Great cartridge and works fine with large primers. Never understood why they wanted a small primer in the Cheetah, I think that's why its dead.

Maybe the right person will read this and explain the necessity of the small primer pocket.

I have heard it has something to do with pressure. Same way the 454Casull uses small rifle primers instead of large pistol primers like the 45Colt.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought about building one of these years ago. IIRC, in the articles he wrote about it for Outdoor Life they claimed that the benchrest brass with the small rifle primer gave more consistent ignition and greater accuracy but I also remember reading in other articles that it caused hangfires with certain powders. Pressure doesn't really have anything to do with it as rifle primers (small, large, magnum) are all designed to operate at similar pressures. Handgun primers are designed to operate at lower pressures. Dick Casull designed the .454 with a small rifle primer because it operates at higher pressure than most other handgun rounds and uses large charges of slow powders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There was problems in cold weather with ignition according to what I have read. The cases would work to make Dasher brass. I build the 22/243 Middlested on a regular basis, it is a favorite with coyote shooters.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone should call JIM CARMICKEL and get the dope from the horses mouth.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a couple. Ended up using .243 brass, it was still quite capable of wrecking barrels rapidly.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That rare brass might bring $2.00 each an could fund a better project than a .22

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Small BR primers gave more consistent ignition lower SD's and velo ranges and was less prone to pressure excursions on ignition because of the brisance of the primer...BACK IN THOSE DAYS...I think that problem has been worked out in todays world.

The powder was IMR 4320 and below freezing temps.

I've been shooting the22-243 Midd for 40 odd years and gone through I don't know how many barrels. When that article came out I tried it with the BR case...I still have a partial box of 20 cases left...

Even though the cases are slightly different in design I ran into the same problems with small BR primers so I quit using 4320 and went back to LR primer cases...there a several powders that give better results nowadays anyway. and LR primers just work better.

I still use 4320 in my 17 Rem as it gives high velo and the best accuracy with Horn 20 gr.

ANY hotrock can wreck a barrel quickly if you don't follow a few simple rules...KEEP IT COOL and don't keep shooting at case killing pressures.

My latest 22-243 is a rechambered 22-250 Encore, 1-12, 24" t with ~1500 rounds through it. I shoot 62-65 gr bullets at ~65KPSI MAP for ~3650 fs and RL-17 now and keep it for 400+ yard shots. I can rebarrel any number of my receivers for less than replacing an Encore barrel and not have the problems associated with the Encore so I'm being tender with it.

I keep looking at the 22WSSM...now THAT'S a REAL HOTROCK. Cool tu2 Big Grin

Luck

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...er-pocket-box-of-100

If you're paying $2/rd you're not looking for brass.

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hdxr750
posted Hide Post
I have a Reamer I'll rent for Cheap. You pay for shipping both ways, plus say $10.00 and that's it. But you damage it you pay for it. Since I don't check this section often , call me. 304-639-4626, Randy

NRA Life Member
From West Virginia, where the Sun shines in the sky
and the Moon shines in the basement

Posts: 175 | Location: Wheeling, WV | Registered: 03 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
somewhere I have five boxes of the stuff. IIRC, it is on a shelf next to about the same amount of 30 American brass. Anybody remember that?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kenny Jarrett told me the small rifle primers didn't work very well in it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe not dead but on life support !

One of Us
Picture of gwa
posted Hide Post
I have one and it is a pain to form the brass as I recall. do a 22-243, have 2 of them a lot easier to deal with the brass and performance is the same

Posts: 83 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post Dont understand why it would be any harder to form then the 22-243, both the same case. Lapua makes 308 brass with small primer pocket that the Palma shooters like to use. Dont hear of any problems with that brass. But Lapua brass would need case necks annelad before forming. But there are two versions of the CHeetah, MK1 one with small primers and a MK11 with the large primers. If remembering correctly that was the only difference. Better powders now so might be worth looking into again.

George

I had a couple. Ended up using .243 brass, it was still quite capable of wrecking barrels rapidly.

SR4759
one of us
posted Sep 21, 12:54 PM Hide Post
That rare brass might bring $2.00 each an could fund a better project than a .22

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/...a2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008
NONAGONAGIN
one of us
posted Sep 22, 1:49 PM Hide Post
Small BR primers gave more consistent ignition lower SD's and velo ranges and was less prone to pressure excursions on ignition because of the brisance of the primer...BACK IN THOSE DAYS...I think that problem has been worked out in todays world.

The powder was IMR 4320 and below freezing temps.

I've been shooting the22-243 Midd for 40 odd years and gone through I don't know how many barrels. When that article came out I tried it with the BR case...I still have a partial box of 20 cases left...

Even though the cases are slightly different in design I ran into the same problems with small BR primers so I quit using 4320 and went back to LR primer cases...there a several powders that give better results nowadays anyway. and LR primers just work better.

I still use 4320 in my 17 Rem as it gives high velo and the best accuracy with Horn 20 gr.

ANY hotrock can wreck a barrel quickly if you don't follow a few simple rules...KEEP IT COOL and don't keep shooting at case killing pressures.

My latest 22-243 is a rechambered 22-250 Encore, 1-12, 24" t with ~1500 rounds through it. I shoot 62-65 gr bullets at ~65KPSI MAP for ~3650 fs and RL-17 now and keep it for 400+ yard shots. I can rebarrel any number of my receivers for less than replacing an Encore barrel and not have the problems associated with the Encore so I'm being tender with it.

I keep looking at the 22WSSM...now THAT'S a REAL HOTROCK.

Luck

ab_bentley
one of us

posted Sep 22, 6:07 PM Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...er-pocket-box-of-100

If you're paying $2/rd you're not looking for brass.

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 462 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012
hdxr750
one of us

posted Jul 17, 8:29 PM Hide Post
I have a Reamer I'll rent for Cheap. You pay for shipping both ways, plus say $10.00 and that's it. But you damage it you pay for it. Since I don't check this section often , call me. 304-639-4626, Randy

NRA Life Member
From West Virginia, where the Sun shines in the sky
and the Moon shines in the basement

Posts: 127 | Location: Wheeling, WV | Registered: 03 January 2011
Idaho Sharpshooter
one of us
posted Jul 17, 11:24 PM Hide Post
somewhere I have five boxes of the stuff. IIRC, it is on a shelf next to about the same amount of 30 American brass. Anybody remember that?

Posts: 22711 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005
Phil Brousseau
one of us
posted Jul 18, 12:58 PM

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Palma shooters don't compete in cold weather. That was the knock on the original cartridge, the cold.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
That's true Rich, and I don't hunt varmints in the cold. Ground Hogs and PD go to ground in the winter

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It never had much acceptance..I only knew one person that owned one and he was rather strange to say the least..As I recall the small primer and hard to make brass killed it, and I suspect the .223 had a hand in putting it down..The .223 killed off a bunch of 22 wildcats, and damn near did a number on the .222 Rem.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
..As I recall the small primer and hard to make brass killed it, and I suspect the .223 had a hand in putting it down..The .223 killed off a bunch of 22 wildcats, and damn near did a number on the .222 Rem.

wow, i 100% agree with Ray ...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38452 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just found my fathers 22 Cheetah 1 JGS reamer made 5-84. I don't know if it's good or not. If anybody wants it they can have it for shipping cost.

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ztreh:
Someone should call JIM CARMICKEL and get the dope from the horses mouth.

Or Huntington; the H in CHeetah was due to the fact he and Carmichel jointly developed it.

Personally, I think the laser rangefinder killed it; you don't need 4300 fps with a 53 grain bullet if you know the range. Back then, trajectory was still a bigger deal than the wind.

Reminds me of another wildcat that never took off that Jim wrote about: the .224 Clark, which was designed for 80 grain bullets. A fast .22 shooting 80 grain bullets smokes anything lighter but much faster when it comes to the wind at long range.

But at the end of the day, 90% of all PD shooting is done at 300 yards or less, and the .223 Rem is plenty good enough for that.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
Wow! all I can say is your becoming a better and more intelligent person these days! beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote