Find
Notify
Tools

New 400 Whelen Brass
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted

Just made some Basic Belted brass from a 7mm Mag w/w case.

Turned the belt off, the rebelted with .470 base diameter.

Trimmed the belt and rebated the head on the ole South Bend!

Now you can have two choices of head spacing.

The chamber will run unbelted loads just fine!

No need for the belt, other than nobody else has one! Big Grin

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about the imaginary belted 06 you made for years. I think I might have posted about it in the Whelen thread IIRC. With that case, you can do .452, .435, .429, .423, .416, 411 etcetera etcetera

Bravo!

Have you thought about belting the 10.75x68 case?

quote:
Originally posted by MoreBS:

Just made some Basic Belted brass from a 7mm Mag w/w case.

Turned the belt off, the rebelted with .470 base diameter.

Trimmed the belt and rebated the head on the ole South Bend!

Now you can have two choices of head spacing.

The chamber will run unbelted loads just fine!

No need for the belt, other than nobody else has one! Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
I tried it to make some 444 Belted case, but the possibilities, like you have shown are very interesting. Now to shorten one to 2.320 and see if I can seat a bullet without bulging the case.

Just made 6 more cases, just need to blow them out!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of a belted 400 06
Imaging an 06 based gun that all you need is a clean up reamer to add the belt and neck/throat and keep the 06 taper without a shoulder. Rebore the 06 barrel.

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I like the idea of a belted 400 06
Imaging an 06 based gun that all you need is a clean up reamer to add the belt and neck/throat and keep the 06 taper without a shoulder. Rebore the 06 barrel.

A real 400-06 Straight Wall! Another Ohio Caliber!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I think it would be appropriate to name the case or line of cartridges I was thinking about it a little and I thought of BOS for belted ought six. I was thinking that the cartridge I described above would be appropriately named the 400 BOSS for belted ought six straight. Any thoughts?

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it would be appropriate to name the case or line of cartridges I was thinking about it a little and I thought of BOS for belted ought six. I was thinking that the cartridge I described above would be appropriately named the 400 BOSS for belted ought six straight. Any thoughts?

I like the 400 BOS and 400 BOSS!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Of course the BOSS name can be applied to the larger diameter bullets like the 416, 423, 444 etc so you could have the whole BOSS line of cartridges for 400 on up.
The 6.5 RPM case from Weatherby could be used to form these cases as well but probably expensive.
There is a case manufacturer who could do this by the hundreds or thousands.
quote:
quote:

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Did not know of the 6.5 RPM, another choice.
How about a 375 Mag?.....very interesting looking case!

quote:
Of course the BOSS name can be applied to the larger diameter bullets like the 416, 423, 444 etc so you could have the whole BOSS line of cartridges for 400 on up.
The 6.5 RPM case from Weatherby could be used to form these cases as well but probably expensive.
There is a case manufacturer who could do this by the hundreds or thousands.
quote:
quote:

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 RPM is an elongated 284 case IIRC and you could belt that one and not have to reduce the rim.

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
There was a link on here a couple of years ago about a cartridge called the 411 Ryan. It is 240 Wby brass blown out. Because of the belt, this would make a pretty sweet 400 cartridge.

411 Ryan

Posts: 344 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is like the 405B only shorter. I belt both the .470 diameter cases and the .453. Like the 240 Weatherby.

I also want to shorten the brass a bit and make a 444B belted Marlin. Some thing just a bit tamer than a 400 Whelen!...in a short action.

Talked with the Ryan guy a year ago or so. Nice fellow.

quote:
Originally posted by touchdown88:
There was a link on here a couple of years ago about a cartridge called the 411 Ryan. It is 240 Wby brass blown out. Because of the belt, this would make a pretty sweet 400 cartridge.

411 Ryan