Find
Notify
Tools

.375 X 3-1/4" Wildcat?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted
I have an interesting barreled action - Ruger No.3 with a pretty heavy barrel in .375 cal.
The chamber is huge!
A rimmed cartridge 3-1/4" in length
.570" base
.562" shoulder 2.75" to shoulder (short shoulder like .160")
.250" neck

Really, it looks like a 375 based on the 470 nitro express case with a steep shoulder.

I haven't been able to pin it down
Anybody see anything like this before?

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
could it be an improved and necked down 500/416 Nitro express? That would be my best guess.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
500/416 is a three inch case though.
The issue is that I have little interest in shooting this and the far forward shoulder preclude it from being rebored and cut to anything else without setting the barrel back quite a bit.
Was thinking a rebore/chamber to 450 No.2 Jeffery would have been possible but the shoulder won't clean up without setting the barrel back.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Sorry, was thinking of the 3.25" version of the 500NE. Do you have dies for the round in question? If not I would just do a re-barrel. Anything that will clean up that chamber is not going to be something fun to shoot out of a no. 3 anyway.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
No dies.
Really don't have that much ambition for a project like that.
The barrel is quite heavy and long so even a long 500 or a 500 3" with a long throat would be manageable I'd think. Even then, the shoulder dia. may be a problem.
Probably sell it to a more ambitious rifleman...

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Here's a chamber cast - sucks a bit...

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
What's the rim diameter?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Looks like .660" rim cut - .657" case rims fit in nicely.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
I did a .416 on a 40/90 Sharps Straight, the .375 version would be a fine one also.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That is a lot of case! I can't venture a guess but I have a No.3 Ruger and I don't want to shoot that cartridge in it. Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Looks like a big mistake someone made; this "cartridge" would be a totally bad idea, way overbored, and in a Ruger #3, which weights like 6 pounds, completely unshootable.
Throw the barrel away and put something useful on it.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like bubba got carried away. I'd be tempted to set the barrel back and chamber it for 375x2.5. Slim up the barrel and it might make a nice woods rifle. I hate throwing things away.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote