Notify
Tools

Is wildcatting dead?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Kind a looks that way. Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You sure could have fooled me. Go to a long range benchrest match and you will see more wildcats in one day than you would have seen in a whole year 20 years ago. At the 2003 NBRSA 1000 yard Nationals I counted 22 different wildcat cartridges out of 48 shooters. And the other 26 were mostly duplicate wildcats. I will agree that it's getting harder and harder to come up with any really new ideas but that doesn't mean shooters aren't trying. I think Dave Kiff said he has something like 6000 different chamber prints in his files.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
From the activity I see on this forum one might draw that conclusion. There are a few constant posters like Bwana -B but not many that are realy working on something. I whish I could go to a long range BR shoot. To do anything shooting in the LA area is just getting more and more frustrating. bawlingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just wait till the economy picks up, Roger. Everyone's too broke to play! It's all you can do to keep your tank filled these days, but soon I hope to start on another project, one of two on the front burner, a fast 6.5 and a big 45 lever (maybe .475").
Wildcatting hasn't made "sense" in a few decades, but there will always be those with an insatiable drive to try some new way to do an old thing....

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger

The NBRSA 1000 Yard Nationals will be at the Folsom Shooting Club range east of Sacramento, Sept 23, 24, and 25. That can't be but a hop-skip-jump from Temple City roflmao Hell, I live 900 miles from there and I'm going. Unless gas gets so high or the pumps go dry. I hear the hurricane in LA (that's Louisiana not LaLa)will shut down 25% of domestic refining of gasoline. There may not be any gas left by the end of September. Roll Eyes

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I just had to have a wildcat. Unfortunately, most all have become standard cartridges; .22-250, .25-06, 7STW, .338-06, and more.
Now I have two wildcats on one action (switch barrel). Got a 6.5WSM and a .338WSM of which my best buddy had to have the exact same duo (mine's left-handed, his is right-handed).
My friend now wants to get a .375WSM...
Oh Lordy, where will this all stop? nut

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dead? Damn, guess I can take all these dies and pitch them in the trash ... my problem is that "regular production" keeps getting in the way of the new developments. That, and getting the brass made for the new ones. The ones that are going from "first prototype" to "commercialization" are the .30 HRT (30 Herrett rimless made on 6.8 SPC brass), the 7mm sCAR, the 338 Rhino, the 470 Rhino and we are starting work on a 20mm project.

Just because you don't see a lot of posts on it doesn't mean it is not being worked on. Detroit doesn't always show the new models off in the early stages to protect some of the R&D vested in them ...

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No way is wildcatting dead. And it doesn't cost much if you you learn to do it yourself. Here's an interesting new cartridge not even a page away.

It is hard to develop something that a commercial cartridge doesn't already do pretty well. But what's the fun in that?

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
in the last year, I've been aware of, or part of, 3 totally new monsters...

dead? only in the small bores

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Bartsche,

I don't agree with your contention that shooting is dead in the L.A. area. Just go to East L.A., stick your rifle out the window, and see what kind of groups you can get on the closest low-rider Chebby. You'll have to settle for a three shot group because the return fire will destroy your concentration.

The Pasadena freeway in the morning is pretty calm with all the cars parked on it. Maybe it would be better for sighting-in your newest rifle.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DobleTroble:
Here's an interesting new cartridge not even a page away.[/URL]QUOTE]

Yours is .120" longer than the one I built almost 10 yearss ago ********first on the .425 WR and tha later on the .404 Jeff. Trouble was I got anxious and didn't heat treat my now set back Mod. 98 beerroger

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Elk Hunter:
Bartsche,

I don't agree with your contention that shooting is dead in the L.A. area. Just go to East L.A., stick your rifle out the window, and see what kind of groups you can get on the closest low-rider Chebby. You'll have to settle for a three shot group because the return fire will destroy your concentration.

The Pasadena freeway in the morning is pretty calm with all the cars parked on it. Maybe it would be better for sighting-in your newest rifle.

I'll just have to give that some serious thought homerroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm working on my 400 Whelen and 30-06 AI rifles right now.

I just hunted Texas in June with my 25-284.

This fall I'll start the season with my 35 Whelen AI.

The other wildcats are in the safe until next season.

Wildcatting is alive at my house.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
lets see I have a 6mm-284, 25-284,6.5-284, 7mm Gibbs, 30-338, 323 Hollis, 348-06 A.I, 375-338, 35 Whelen A.I.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 323:
323 Hollis,

What is the 323 hollis? Your design? waveroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope it isn't dead. I having too much fun with it.

We didn't inherit the land from our fathers, we're borrowing it from our children.

Posts: 94 | Location: central pennsylvania | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i aggree with jeffeosso

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done 4 this past year on the 600 OK. I do think that RGB beat me to one of them

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by 323:
323 Hollis,

What is the 323 hollis? Your design? waveroger

It was a creation of this man Ed Hollis of Ed's Gun Clinic, 108 South 10th St, Boise, Id.
All it is a 308 Norma mag necked up to 323. I have chonographed loads with a couple of chronographs. loaded with 79.0 grs H-4831 and a 200gr part. I was getting no shit 3300 F.P.S. at first we thought it was fluke so my dad got his friends Chronograph and same velocity. According to P.O Ackley this is one of the most efficient cartridges designed. shoots excellent.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not as long as I can find the funds.
I do most everything myself so I get
a bunch done economically, with little
money and a bunch of trading.Ed.

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I think this Ed Hollis fellow is is no longer with us. A gunsmith if Forset Grove at H&K gunshop did the work for me. 10 years ago it cost me a whopping 265 dollars to get all the work done. I hate to see what it would cost today.

posted Hide Post
Howdy! This is my first post here but I have been handloading since 1968. With all the wildcats out there, one would think it is hard to develope a new one. I bought a program called QuickDESIGN and it helped me develope one.

I designed a wildcat off the .300 Dakota parent case (actually a .404 Jeffery but used the Dakota as it was already formed). It is called the 8mm Grizzly. I have only fireformed a few cases for a set of dies and plan on getting out soon for some actual data. I am hoping to get the same velocity of a 8mm Rem Mag in a non-belted case.

I went with a 35 degree shoulder and blew out the shoulder to .535. It has about 5.5 grains more H2o capacity than the .300 Dakota.

Just about everything I own in centerfire is a wildcat except for a .30-30 Win I received when I was 14 and a .338 Winchester Mag Pre-64' that is custom barreled.Big Grin

Posts: 8 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of roebuck222
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is wildcatting dead ?

I have often wondered about this....and from the replies it would seem not,and it provides a good pastime or hobby to many.

But surely the question that really needs to be asked...is are there any holes or niches that require filling in calibre / performance,or to put it another way what new calibre/bullet etc combination can be contrived that is or will be better than ones already established and tried and tested in existance?
Personally I have my doubts,that such a thing exists today.
But granted its fun trying.

Roebuck222

Posts: 165 | Location: Scottish Highlands | Registered: 28 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roebuck222:
quote:
Is wildcatting dead ?

I have often wondered about this....and from the replies it would seem not,and it provides a good pastime or hobby to many.

But surely the question that really needs to be asked...is are there any holes or niches that require filling

I think interesting to explore rather than requires filling is the path that might be open.

Resently my wildcating has gone in a different direction;at least for me.In playing around with some heavy gas checked bullets (250-300gr.). I found that a full case of 4198 in one of my short 35 caliber wildcats produced energy levels equivalent to a 30-06.Is this wedding of heavy cast bullets to wildcatting new? Probably not but it sure was an Eye opener to me.

In other words limited to about 2400 fps. and using a full case of powder with no fillers and burning all the powder rather than throwing a lot of it on the ground, have a small wildcat that would meet or exceed 06 energy levels in a 16" barrel.

I'll be playing around with this concept for a while. In fact I just put a muzzle brake on my 9X41 and rebeded it to handle the recoil a little better( me too).

Some time down the road I'll be looking for some one to take some large game ( elk, moose, boar or such) with it.Volunteers???????? Coolroger

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Elk Hunter:
Bartsche,

jump

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roebuck222:
But surely the question that really needs to be asked...is are there any holes or niches that require filling in calibre / performance,or to put it another way what new calibre/bullet etc combination can be contrived that is or will be better than ones already established and tried and tested in existance?
Personally I have my doubts,that such a thing exists today.
But granted its fun trying.

Roebuck222

http://www.550magnum.com
http://www.weaponsmith.com/550-exp.html

new BORE
new 3" round
new 2.65" round

is it dead? only as "dead" as engineering.. "it's all been done before" "except THAT"

happens everyday..

then you have the line of AR rounds that aren't designed to BEAT anything else in performance, just BE able to fit into normal actions, rather than a limited $et of action$$

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
As of yesterday (15 Oct.05)at the range it wasn't. Don't know about today though. LOL

Steve E.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
in the last year, I've been aware of, or part of, 3 totally new monsters...

dead? only in the small bores

jeffe

A chap by the name of Walt Berger has been using a .20 caliber wildcat in some benchrest competitions this year. (Small Caliber News, vol. 8,no. 2, summer 2005,p. 33)

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
Some recent small caliber wildcats:

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
Some recent and some not so recent small caliber wildcats:

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesVery interesting!!

Are there rifles made that shoot them? sofaroger

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Nope, Not dead!

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
My present arsenal 250-3000imp,30 Gibbs,300 h&h ackley imp, 358 Norma,and a 425 Express. Come and gone are 2 30-06 ackleys,6.5 dakota,35 mashburn mag,and a Lott before they were in fashion. Next up 6.5-06 ackley.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Kind a looks that way. Frownerroger

If that were true where would new cartridge insperation come from? All of todays RUM's come from 'Cat enthusiasts. Look at the .338 RUM and the .338 Abe Express, not much differance. Even the WSM's, based on the .348 winnie, had guys turn the rim off long ago. So don't fret, Wildcatting will never die, the industries depend on them.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Exactly as 366 says. take a look at the 338 federal.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No way is wildcatting dead. It is not that you need to design a new cartridge, but some wild cats will fill niche and satisfy your fancy for special applications and for all sorts of reasons.

At present I am revamping a 223 which I had bought for gopher shooting out to 300 yards but the barrel did not have the inherent accuracy for the job.

So I am having this barrel rebored to 6mm and chambered for the 6x47" a mild and very accurate wild cat. Why? It suits my purpose better than any other cartridge. Besides I love wildcats. I have five besides this new one.

The 222Rem Mag is the case for this caliber, mild recoil, good selection of light varmint bullets, low consumtion of powder, not much recoil to speak of.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the search of gauge wildcat; That silk has old gauge or feels; Or that you intended to speak Because I seek to gather the most possible Wildcat In France Wildcat not current is not nobody does not practise kind of thing I am this practice formidable Précisément I seek - his base of than it casing are the base of the gauge - - his nomination (name) - - if you know even his ballistics (or that it gauge is closest or even identical) - - I thank you for the information which you can make me by - P.S even forum or I can go for wildcat

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tera:
I am in the search of gauge wildcat; That silk has old gauge or feels; Or that you intended to speak Because I seek to gather the most possible Wildcat In France Wildcat not current is not nobody does not practise kind of thing I am this practice formidable Précisément I seek - his base of than it casing are the base of the gauge - - his nomination (name) - - if you know even his ballistics (or that it gauge is closest or even identical) - - I thank you for the information which you can make me by - P.S even forum or I can go for wildcat

Now I have absolute proff that WILDCATTING IS NOT DEAD!!!!!!! vive le tera.

Thank you roger

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Not to mention that the 204 Ruger was based on Todd Kindlers work in 20's.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I had thought that the wildcatting field had been pretty well played out, but must admit it's far from dead, and I even got involved in motivating Jeffe to bring out the three AR rounds since you started this thread.

I'd also figured that I wasn't going to mess around with any wildcats myself, but it looks like I can't help it either, as I've quite about a 1/2 dozen that I'd like to try.

I's say most wildcatts these days come down to the issue of packaging, ie not so much going for "enhanced performance" perse, but more taking known levels of performance, ie given bore bullet weight and velocity, and putting it into firearm packages that haven't historical been able to yield such levels of performance.

I've become quite fond of short actions as of late, I've never had a problem functioning a full length or magnum action, but my arms do tend to lengthen after lugging a heavy rifle all day for a week straigth. Give me a light short action that produces the same performance as a full length action any day!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote