New
Find
Notify
Tools

404-375 Now with pics!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom - I hope it starts catching on! The more the merrier!!

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay ... a few dummies are off to the 'smith later this week, barrel has been cracked (no pun intended Big Grin ) off the M17 so it's action only and looking bare. I visited a stockmaker and looked into a fancy stock ... nah ... wouldn't be a poor man's rifle then!!

Guy that I've asked to do the chambering reckoned it was a damn neat idea, wants the dummies to take measurements and go through his neck reamers to see what he has but he's thinking 0.460" neck and a 0.425" throat ... otherwise he'll either recut something else or make one.

Looks promising, should know in a few weeks whether it'll fly, 6 more weeks to get barrelled ... actually I'll just sneak the action off to him just in case! lol
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to add ... been thinking names again.

404/375 Belted Magnum ?? Dont want to use 'H&H' as 0.423" was a Jeffery thing and 0.375" was a H&H thing so 404/375H&H is out. British nomenclature doesnt hold precedence either as they used the / only when necking down hence the 400/350NE, 450/400, modern 500/416 etc...

423 Bastard child? Maybe 404/375 Magnum??
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Hi Con! wave

Thanks for the update. thumb Glad your smith likes it too.

The things I see to consider in the name are the restamping of an existing barrel and brass. Yes it is a bastardization but only for the goals of cheap, simplicity, 404 Jeffery equivelent and easy to understand. The proper name should be either 423-375 or 375/404 belted rimless nitro express. The easiest thing is all the way around is to go 404-375

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boom stick,
True enough ... 404/375 is simplest, adding the H&H tag at the end tells a future user exactly what it is ... maybe tradition be damned and we call it the 404/375H&H Magnum? That way, a rebored barrel just has 404/ struck in above the 375H&H Magnum for its calibre designation?
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Yes con... we are on the same page. The longer official name would be 404-375 HH Magnum but the simple 404-375 would be what most would call it I think. beer

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its easier to just stick a "404-" on the barrel and brass of 375 H&H lol sticks with the poor man theme quite nicely Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MileHighShooter:
its easier to just stick a "404-" on the barrel and brass of 375 H&H lol sticks with the poor man theme quite nicely Big Grin

Yeah mate! It's not like a poor man can make it to Africa and needs proper headstamped brass. clap 404-375H&H it is then as it'll fit the rebored barrel being restamped easiest.
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Con.....that IS part of the whole idea lol. Why spend 2500$ on a 404 J when you can (in theory) do this gun for 1000$ or less, thats 1500$ towards your safari! Thats a PH tip....half your airfare.....maybe an extra license. Who knows?!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Hi Con!

Just wanted to see if there were any updates on your end of the world...

PS how are you affected by the fires?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boomy,
Still waiting for the 'smith to get back to me, he'll take his time.

Fires: Missus' family farm is lost, 20 homes on the street, only 4 left standing. People she knew are missing and some are confirmed dead. From the info we got from some on the street it sounds that those that survived need no longer fear the flames of Hell.
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your loss and those close to you. May we never forget how precious life is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn shame to hear that Con. But I'm glad to hear at least you and your immediate family are ok.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn shame to hear that Con.
It's a Damn Shame! A Damn Shame indeed!
quote:
May we never forget how precious life is.

On a lighter note - I think the 404-375 is a brilliant idea! thumb

It might just end up being called the '404 Belted' for short. Rolls off the tongue easy.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a little update, I've gone back to my original idea of using my 300 Wby. My 300wsm will be ready in a few months, so I no longer need the belted boomer.

Lets hope the stimulus checks show up soon! In some way or another, I'm using my lil chunk of Obama's "gift" to either purchase a firearm, or use it to build one Big Grin

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
Boomy,
Still waiting for the 'smith to get back to me, he'll take his time.

Fires: Missus' family farm is lost, 20 homes on the street, only 4 left standing. People she knew are missing and some are confirmed dead. From the info we got from some on the street it sounds that those that survived need no longer fear the flames of Hell.
Cheers...
Con

Good Lord Man -- any update?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gents, new here and very interested in this plan. I talked to boom stick on another thread and phone. Did some research. Pacific has a 400-375 H & H removable pilot finish reamer listed along with a 404 HDS basic. I have an e-mail in to them to get specifics.I'll post when I hear from them.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good morning gents, Dave Kiff sent me an e-mail regarding the 400-375 and 40-375 reamers. They are not what we want. Both have a shoulder and one uses a .375, the other a .408 bullet. I gave him an explanation of our idea. I'll let you know if I get any additional info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good evening gents, Good news!
Dave Kiff just e-mailed to let me know that a 423-375 finish reamer is $147.00 and will take a/b 3 weeks to deliver!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, is this a 404RUM, or what?

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aliveincc:
Good evening gents, Good news!
Dave Kiff just e-mailed to let me know that a 423-375 finish reamer is $147.00 and will take a/b 3 weeks to deliver!

The cost is good and the turn time seems quick.

Do you want to make dies with a reamer or open up 375 dies?

I guess you can reduce your costs by renting out the reamer.

So what did Dave think of the idea?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
So, is this a 404RUM, or what?

Rich
Buff Killer

Rich... Just a simple neck up to eliminate the shoulder of the 375 case with the same 375 body taper. No "Improving".

one of us
posted Hide Post
And good body or side T......

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Yes... Plenty of taper.
Getting this to feed from s 375HH conversion should be easy.
Here again is the dummy rounds Con made up
Minimal taper 475 Capstick and the 404-375

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mornin fellow wildcatters,
After a little more research, I'm wondering if there are any concerns a/b using a Savage 110 for this project? They are CHEAP and easy to find, but I've never owned one. Thoughts?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
They are known for being easy to work on but you might want to post that question in the gunsmithing forum.

A big bore just screams CRF though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MileHighShooter:
Well Con.....that IS part of the whole idea lol. Why spend 2500$ on a 404 J when you can (in theory) do this gun for 1000$ or less, thats 1500$ towards your safari! Thats a PH tip....half your airfare.....maybe an extra license. Who knows?!

Thanks a lot, I just bought one; son of a...! Mad

You all have the ballistics tested on this yet? I'm interested. A very "cool" looking cartridge; some are in my mind , like the 404J and the 450/400's. Also like the look of the 425 WR, but that makes me feel akward. Roll Eyes

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
With over 100 grains capacity 400 @ 2100 to 2300 seems quite doable.
The first one has yet to go bang.
I wager this cart will be quite efficient too.
Who will be the lucky guy? Will it be Con or Aliveincc???

one of us
posted Hide Post
THAT CASE has the same shape and taper as my 458HE,
only smaller, but I could take it and outdo the
416 REM, the KDF, the Taylor, and most others in
that range with full compressed loads of medium fast
ball powder. 400 gr to 2500 easy.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm baaaaaaaack! Long sebatical from all message boards...and the internet period really. Some personal issues, plus going from being unemployed to pushing 80 hrs a week for the last 5 months.

Con, boomie - any progress??

I'm still on board, have my donor rifle ready to go and some extra play money to chip in on reamers if people are close to that point as well.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Welcome back wave
The 375 to 404 expander the catter and good guy extrordinaire Jeffe made me still stares at me every day on my desk. lol
Con has a few projects going on right now I think. If you hurry you can be the first Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 'smith was doubtful he could cut the chamber with the reamers he had on hand ... so it died on the vine for me as I wasn't prepared to get a new reamer.
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm...
Seems we need to send you one Con.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Hmmmm...
Seems we need to send you one Con.

Oh God ... I'll be in so much trouble I'll be moving in permanently with the dogs. Got 3 rifles to finish first! Big Grin Officially, I haven't bought a rifle in 3 years. sofa
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey, building a rifle is not "buying" a rifle lol

thanks boomie, good to be back.

I still plan on using the weatherby M70 as a donor, I just got tired of that thing beating the crap outta me when I just don't need that much power for cow elk, plus I have the 300wsm and soon a 280 Rem to do the job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
K, plans have changed lol Keeping the 300 Wby cause I just can't get rid of a rifle that shot so well with so little load work. Just gonna do some upgrades. 280 likely isn't gonna happen right now.

Oh...and did I mention...someones got a new action coming home soon? In M70 CRF flavor?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie O'Neil made me a 424 OKH (long case) in 1953. Can only say good things about the calibre. The project rifle should be quite good and creating cartridges should be a simple matter, a benefit that is worth considering. Good luck to all.

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfcjr:
Charlie O'Neil made me a 424 OKH (long case) in 1953. Can only say good things about the calibre. The project rifle should be quite good and creating cartridges should be a simple matter, a benefit that is worth considering. Good luck to all.

Thanks...
I think this is a cool way to go 404 on a budget.

One of Us
Picture of oscar
posted Hide Post
Hello Gentlemen,

I have been following this thread for a while and have become totally enamored with the 404-375.I think it is a brilliant idea, sort of a 458 Lott- Lite, similar taste less calories.

I to love straight walled cases,the Lott being my preferred Bigbore.From what it appears this fellow should be able to hit 2400 FPS with a 400 gr. bullet without to much effort and with the availability of 375 cases for simple forming it should be a joy to load for.

I decided to make a mock round for myself and with a make-shift expander, it was one simple pass and I had the round ready for a bullet.The hardest part was that I did not have a .423 bullet and had to turn one from brass stock, it seemed to turn out all right for visual effect.

I have a M70 Safari Express I purchased about '02 0r '03, originally a 375 H&H which I had converted to 375 WBY.It was a simple rechamber and from what my Gunsmith told me with very little feed work for proper functioning.As a matter of fact the rifle not only feeds the WBY. rounds like a greased pig but will function reliably with the H&H rounds.

The reason I brought this rifle up was that the new Winchesters seem to be coming soon and they look like a reproduction of this rifle, one of which I plan on purchasing as soon as I can get my hands on another 375.

I would like to send it to cutrifle.com for a rebore/rerifle/rechamber,his listing is 295.00 USD for the work.With the rifle I'm guessing a total additional cost of around 600.00 will probably cover it.

The muzzle on my M70 measures .710" and should accept the rebore without any problem.The mock round feeds out of the mag. as is without effort,but obviously only just out of the mag. as it cannot chamber.I do not get the feeling much action work will be needed.

If arrangements are being made for a top quality reamer I would like to add funds for the purchase as I would defiantly like to have a rifle chambered down the line.Please PM me.

Below are pictures of a line up of the usual suspects along with the muzzle of the M70, and a 404-375 in the mag. Oscar

Posts: 79 | Location: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oscar,

Thanks for the pics! I am VERY close to being in a position to get this project started. I had the same thoughts as you did once I saw the new Winchester Safari! With the barrel band, double cross bolts and nice sights....I think I might just plunk down the 100$ (estimated) for the rifle rather then building it up. Its not the true "poor man" approach lol but hey, whatever gets the ball rolling.

I'm also interested in who is thinking about chipping in on the reamer...its gettin close boys! Just over a year from some thoughts and bantering and its getting close!

Still....I know where there is a finished but unchambered 404 barrel that I am VERY tempted to pick up before the month is over. Of course if I can't find a good M70 (I'm using the M70 I bought FOR this project for a 9.3x62 due to the s-c-r-e-a-m-i-n-g barrel deal from Montana Rifleman) donor I could probably hock the barrel here rather quickly.