New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Lapua Improved vs 338/416 Rigby
 Login/Join

<Carlos>
posted
Does anyone know how these two compare? Does the 338/416 Rigby have a significantly larger case capacity over the 338 Lapua Improved with the shorter case? I'm contemplating either/or for my TRGS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
338/416 is bigger tha the 338 Lapua because the csae is longer BUT

416 case is notdesign to run at the same hight pressur the 338 LM so case life is evry short in 416 wilcat specialy if you use soft Norma case

after deped if you plan to shoot the 300 SMK or not and if you plan to use a long barrel ( over 30 inch ) because 33/416 need long abrrel to get max velovity without flash at the muzzle

a wilcat s 338 LM Rogue ( PPG design is just good in barrl in the 28 inch lenght ( 28 inchis average good price and lower cost as the barrel over 30 , over 32 you need a barrel block so depend what rifle you plan to built with your SAKO action .

the reasonable way is the 338 LM Rogue imp or the 338 AI built on Lapua case that far enought to shoot far , 338/416 with 32 or 34 inch barrel is a nice tool for 2000 yards

good shooting
DN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dantec is right on about the Lapua brass, its one tough case.

I have reamers for the 338 Lapua, the 338 Improved (40 degree) Lapua and the 338 Rogue. The PPG Rogue has a 37 degree shoulder. I have reamer drawings for all if you need more information.

The serious 1000 yarder needs a tight chamber, requiring neck turning of the brass, and snug on the rim end of the case, or the chamber mouth. We have been using 1-1/2 degree throat angles, but are thinking of 1 degree or less for future reamers. Bullet barely into the lands when properly seated in the case. Caution on bullets kissing lands, real easy to get into pressure problems, especially if you seat the bullets into the lands like some of us fools do. Chamber throat, freebore, throat angle, are designed specific to the bullet used.

I am currently building two 1000 yarders, both on Nesika Actions: A standard 338 Lapua and a 338 Rogue. The standard will wear a 30 inch Pac Nor SS SM barrel, 1.300" at the breech, and a slow taper similar to a HV but bigger. The Rogue has a similar Pac Nor but fluted.

TRG-S has metric threads, so if you have someone rebarrel the action, be sure to ask if the lathe used has metric threading ability.

Tell us about the TRG-S project, I have had a couple of them in the shop and maybe able to shed some light on how to make them shoot. What are your barrel plans, stock, bedding, etc., and remember you need to install a M700 type heavy duty recoil lug. Are you thinking general purpose long range hunting rifle or a target or tactical type rifle?

If you throat the chamber on any of the Lapua's such that the bullet is up out of the powder space, and use 300 grain Match Kings, you will have a very long cartridge that will not function through the magazine of the TRG-S. Not a problem if it is a hunting type rifle and you use something like 250 gr Partitons, A-Frames, or lesser weight bullets.

Here is one of the Nesika actions, with 338 Lapua cartridge on the left, 338 Improved 40 degree in the center, and 338-378 Weatherby on the right. That is a standard 338 Lapua case in the action.

-

[ 03-13-2003, 08:16: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Carlos>
posted
Dantec & John Ricks: Thanks for the trove of information. Really good stuff! My TRG-S is a hunting rifle. My plan started with just a simple rebarrel of the TRG-S as I wanted a heavier barrel. Then I thought if I rebarrel perhapps I should concider going to the 338 LM AI. Another project, a 450 Rigby rimless on a CZ 550 action, has me wondering about the 338/416 Rigby as I'm going to have 416 Rigby brass for the 450 project, hence, my question. I've never herd of the 338 Rogue. I asume it's the LM case with a steeper shoulder pushed forward and a shorter neck?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rogue is PPG design ( mild improved ) with 37� deg shoulder this cartridge is design for accuracy shooting if you lan to go in wilcat chamber check

your use , very good hunting accuracy can be get without neck turning
prefer imp chambering where you can shoot factory ammo in case of emergency
avoid to sharp shoulder that not amazing feeding
prefer tight base chamber than tight neck .

Jamisson Int in Sturgis SD make hight pressure desihn 416 Rigby case that perhps the way to built a good 338/416 Brook imp if your mag box is long enought .

PACNOR make very barrel , you can perhaps check with Kriss Ditcher ( the owner ) what chamberring they have available

I own a 450 DAKOTA JGS reamer , RCBS dies (close clone BUT no the same as 450 Rigby ) built on a Zkk 602 that a real power house even if that stay a 458 cal .

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Carlos>
posted
dantec: Thanks for the reply! What you said about the improved 338 LM case makes lots of sence in that one can use factory ammo in a pinch. Will go with this. Thanks again!

<Pablo>
posted
Carlos,
In regard to imp versions of the 338 Lapua, do you know the case capicity of either/or them?

I have std 338 L in mrb 32" 1:10 bbl and can drive 300 smk's at or above the same velocity as 250 in 28" bbls. The loads are hot!, but safe in my rifle.

Thanks,