Find
Notify
Tools

224 TTHA and 6mm Ackley
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Was digging through my collection of brass I have accumulated while here in Europe and realized that I had a lot of RWS 8x57, and quite a few 7x57.

Now that the 224 Valkerie has so many new heavy bullets, is there any reason to think about doing a 224 TTHA or 224-6mm Ackley?

What about the 6mm Ackley Remington?

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the Valkery is just a 22-250 with a fast twist barrel.
it has a lot of hoopla but unless your willing to haul around a 28" [or longer] barrel your not getting the performance the round really needs for the long range it promises.

as far as adding more powder to a 6mm Remington?
same deal,, it already holds more powder in the case than the barrel can use.[shrug]
putting more in?
I guess you can but then what,, a bigger fire ball?

Ackley improving a case has benefits and draw backs.
as soon as you add more case capacity you have to add more powder to get back the difference in gas capacity.
so your finally back where you started,, and then you can add more powder to gain more velocity.
is 5 more grains of powder worth the 100 fps gain 1.5 more would have got you in the original case?

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pioneered by Ken Clark in the '50 s. Had the pleasure to meet before he passed away.

http://www.singleactions.com/224Clark.html

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Craigster, very cool. Thanks again!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I read an article on the 224 TTHA several years ago in the Tx, Trophy Hunters mag. A close redundency of what I was wanting to do at that time which was to build a 22-250 AI W/40 deg.shoulder in a 1/6 twist to stabilize the 80 G. Sierra.A heavy pill moving very fast to a great distance with minimal drop.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.224 TTTh is about US version of the 5,6x57Rws. I had one RWS,but it had thicker neck and could not use x57 brass. If i were to build one now, i would have buikt a .224 TTTH instead.

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I played with a 224 TTH a few years, but never shot heavier than the 75 Swift Scirocco. I killed a 300# hog with it. I also shot a lot of the Winchester 64gr PP in it. It was a simple neck down of the 6mm Remington. No neck turning. I shot it slow and never had any issues with it. I never got past about 350rds before I rebarreled the rifle to 7mm08 to sell. I used an 8" twist Lilja on the 224 and R22 for everything.

Posts: 256 | Location: Sandy, Utah | Registered: 30 May 2016Reply With Quote