New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wildcat destinations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Heading to DSC in January and would like to field test my family of wildcats. Wanted to last May in Botswana, but was highly dissuaded in doing so. The question is then, what are some wildcat friendly countries to consider booking a trip to test the cartridges, or is it a USA only situation. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 295 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know what your “family of wildcat cartridges” is, but Africa would be a fun place to try them out. I’m not sure what “they” told you to dissuade you doing so. I imagine it’s the wildcat cartridge replacement argument in Africa. It’s true that there will be no replacing lost/stolen ammo for a wildcat round, but you can effectively circumvent this problem by taking some African friendly cartridges/rifles as well.

I like to take a three rifle battery whenever I hunt Africa if DG is on the menu plus PG, and this allows me to take some less popular rounds (or wildcats if you prefer), like a 25-06 or a 404 Dakota, etc. I know upfront that I will not find this ammo in Africa if mine goes missing. The medium bore is the key. It must be a popular round easily bought in Africa, or one your PH would most likely have on hand, such as a 375 H&H. The medium bore rifle can step in for the heavy and the light rifle if needed. To me, that is its main (but not only) purpose in a three rifle battery. Conversly, one can take a wildcat medium, but then I believe it advisable to take a common heavy and a common light round.

If one only hunts plains game, a 30-06 makes the most sense for one of the rifles. A 7mmRem.Mag. might work as well. Both are popular rounds in Africa. I usually take a 338WM for this role which is a fairly popular round also in Africa and I only take two rifles on a hunt with just PG in mind. My favorite battery seems to be a 338WM and one other smaller caliber, which could be your wildcat.

No need to leave your beloved wildcat at home. Just ‘make a plan’ for other rifle(s) as a backup if something goes south. I just wouldn’t take ALL wildcats. Even then, ask your outfitter what camp rifles they have on hand. If all goes badly with your rifles, they will most likely have a camp rifle you can use.

Good hunting with your ‘cats’ in Africa! tu2

Posts: 2585 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The issue was improper headstamps, I was told it would be a real problem going into Botswana. I just would like to get a list of wildcat friendly destinations, that I could arrange hunts in. Canada, Europe, Africa, South Pacific, so I could travel some what at ease and enjoy testing the different cartridges. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
What about custom headstamps? RCC brass makes lots of different cartridges and offer custom headstamping.

https://www.rccbrass.com/services/

Posts: 7476 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
If they are formed off of a common parent case like .30-06 or belted magnum, you can get non-headstamped cylindrical brass and form your cases from it, then use an electric engraving pencil to write the cartridge designation on the case. I did this going into South Africa and Tanzania and had no issues.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Don't know how it is now but in the past,going into old Mexico you could not bring any 30-06,308.or 45 ACP ammo or even having their headstamp as those were calibres used by the Federales.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Don't know how it is now but in the past,going into old Mexico you could not bring any 30-06,308.or 45 ACP ammo or even having their headstamp as those were calibres used by the Federales.

thats why they loved the 38 super back in the day. they actually loved the 45 acp but it was prohibited so hence the super as it kinda looks like a 45 acp. besides, nowdays theres nothing to hunt in mexico except tourists. no bag limit on them to the narcos.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, John, I recall reading Jeff Cooper discussing this oddity of Mexican law, and the reason why the Super was so popular south of the border.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,I read that story as well about his river trip,+ his little demonstration that had the local bad boys saying "si senor,you will not be seeing us again." I enjoyed all the Colonels writing (even if he was an old curmudgeon). I have several signed copies of his as well.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting in several AFRICAN countries, using nothing but wildcats.

Never had any problems whatsoever!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
besides, nowdays theres nothing to hunt in mexico except tourists. no bag limit on them to the narcos.

Where do you guys get your information?
There is as much stuff to hunt in Mexico as there has ever been.
Whitetails, Mule Deer, Coues deer, Javelinas, Desert Sheep, Ducks, Geese, Quail, Turkey and the list goes on and on.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
If they are formed off of a common parent case like .30-06 or belted magnum, you can get non-headstamped cylindrical brass and form your cases from it, then use an electric engraving pencil to write the cartridge designation on the case. I did this going into South Africa and Tanzania and had no issues.

At a Phoenix gun show I talked to a guy who does laser engraving and he stated he would engrave cartridge information on case heads for $0.25 each in small quantities.

M

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark
Would you have any contact information. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozark hunter:
Mark
Would you have any contact information. Thanks.

No contact info.
Any place doing laser engraving should be able to do it.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I would like to know how they get rid of the original markings on the case head??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cylinder brass, no headstamp.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the headstamp will "make you or break you". The customs people have no concept of wildcats,etc.Only what they can not allow. Saeed,you may well have had no problems,but then you are richer than me.I think it's grand for anyone to try out a new calibre on African plains game....(D.G.too).