New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wildcats With A Double Shoulder
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Has anyone played with a wildcat which has a double shoulder?

Like the Herters?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66752 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
Nope. No rhyme or reason for it. Just a Herter's novelty.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The closest I have come to a dbl. shoulder wildcat was in forming my brass for the.30 Gibbs. Open the neck to .35 then size mouth back to .30 giving it the dbl. neck then fireform.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Is there any real advantage of that design? (I don't mean "to be different")

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Is there any real advantage of that design? (I don't mean "to be different")

Jiri

Add me to the list of the curious. I don't see any point.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well there was this girl with 2 shoulders - she was a real wildcat Big Grin

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:

What caliber?
40?
44?
Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:

You really are incorrigible....funny, but incorrigible.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without a bit of humor, where are we?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We are building one!

It started as a joke, culminating into reality.

A 25 caliber on the 308 case.

Very easy to make into a double shoulder.

The readers and dies are supposed to be ready next month.

I have several actions I can build on.

Posts: 66752 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9401 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, while you're at it, see if you can find some of those Herters' "Wasp Waist" bullets to try out.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I can make these bullets myself.

Our CNC lathe is almost 20 years old, and the electronics are giving us trouble, so we are getting a new one next month. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, please keep us posted. I for one am interested in the development. Just for grins as I have done this forever myself (reinventing the wheel) what improvements are you trying to attain beyond Parker's work on a 25 cal bullet in a 308 case. Do you think that a dbl shoulder will increase performance over the A.I. 40 degree shoulder? As I say, in all honesty, I am looking forward to the results.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I don’t see any improvements whatsoever.

I am doing it as an experiment.

I have done enough testing on all sorts of things which were supposed to make a lot of difference, sadly, in my experiments there were none.

But, I enjoyed doing them.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Frankly, I don’t see any improvements whatsoever.

I am doing it as an experiment.

I have done enough testing on all sorts of things which were supposed to make a lot of difference, sadly, in my experiments there were none.

But, I enjoyed doing them.

Clearly a case of "I do it because I am curious and because I can."
To the extent of my meager resources, I can fully relate, Saeed.
I, too am interested in the results of your experiment.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good enough answer that I can fully understand. Over the years I have come with cartridge designs (ala a better mousetrap) then would look in my P.O. Ackley books + damned if he didn't do it 30 years sooner.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
I seem to remember you doing this one other time when first chambering your own Rifles...something about predrilling the chamber too deep and doing just this...and if I remember correctly the rifle in question still shot very well!

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Herter was "out front" on many things for show. He was a "showman." If I recall it was in his books he put forth the idea that the double shoulder would create turbulance in the cartridge as the powder burns and slow the pressure build up and permit hotter loads safely... Seems Rocky Gibbs felt the same way about his sharp shoulders. Enough to be "worth it?" Since no one else, per Mr. Ackley's books, picked up the idea, I am forced to doubt. Mr. Keith wrote of demonstrating, at an armory in the Rockies, that he could use two different powders in the .50 cal Browning machine gun cartridge and get another 200 feet per second velocity, no small feet with a 750 grain bullet. Management acknowledged his accomplishment and immediately "shelved it" because there was no way they could get the material handlers to be gentle with the ammunition, the powders would get mixed, and that meant dangerous pressures. !! A lot out there but not extremely practical. Luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:
Herter was "out front" on many things for show. He was a "showman." If I recall it was in his books he put forth the idea that the double shoulder would create turbulance in the cartridge as the powder burns and slow the pressure build up and permit hotter loads safely... Seems Rocky Gibbs felt the same way about his sharp shoulders. Enough to be "worth it?" Since no one else, per Mr. Ackley's books, picked up the idea, I am forced to doubt. Mr. Keith wrote of demonstrating, at an armory in the Rockies, that he could use two different powders in the .50 cal Browning machine gun cartridge and get another 200 feet per second velocity, no small feet with a 750 grain bullet. Management acknowledged his accomplishment and immediately "shelved it" because there was no way they could get the material handlers to be gentle with the ammunition, the powders would get mixed, and that meant dangerous pressures. !! A lot out there but not extremely practical. Luck.

Please read Keith's books, "Sixguns" or "Hell I was There". This story is NOT correct though it has circulated since the 50's. Keith's "Duplex" load did NOT have two different powders, it had a tube to take the primer explosion to the top of the powder column, similar to many artillery shells. This caused the powder to burn from the top down, keeping the burning powder in the case instead of getting blown down the barrel where individual granules end up NOT burning. Problem is fitting the tube to the case, tricky machining and ends up fairly fragile and very easy to damage when de-priming for reloaders. Keith worked it out with the 333 & 334 OKH wildcats in the 30's, then when he was a govt inspector at the Ogden Armory during WWII he demonstrated it for the Army. The tricky machining to fit the tube had the Army not picking it up for production.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
Saeed,
I seem to remember you doing this one other time when first chambering your own Rifles...something about predrilling the chamber too deep and doing just this...and if I remember correctly the rifle in question still shot very well!

You are right.

I ran the drill into the barrel too far.

It was supposed to go as far as the body goes, but somehow it went a bit further.

The first fired case came out with a double shoulder.

I left it as is, and shot it a few times.

Shot very well, but, as there were no dies for it, I rechamberd it properly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it might be useful for supporting long for caliber bullets. Such as those used for long range shooting? It would prevent a long spindly case neck. Once fire formed it might also prove effective in helping to center the case in the chamber. Provided you only neck sized the upper portion.

quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Joe:
Nope. No rhyme or reason for it. Just a Herter's novelty.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The 25 caliber in a standard necked down 308 case is the 25 Souper, what would you call one with a double shoulder?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
The 25 caliber in a standard necked down 308 case is the 25 Souper, what would you call one with a double shoulder?

25 Sssouper

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have spent way too much of my time over the years trying to design a NEW superior calibre ala a better mousetrap. It is fun for a time but pointless in the end. Oh well, since we have to spend our time doing something; might as well be something semi-intelligent.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
The before and after of my 17 Ackley Hornet.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

one of us
posted Hide Post
It will happen when converting a 222 to a 223, but its just a step in the process, I wouldn't leave it that way..Its pointless..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I have an 8x57R Johann Springer double rifle (which was rebarreled by Carl Bock) that has a double shoulder - both barrels exactly the same.
Not as exaggerated as the Herter’s cartridge but definitely obvious and not accidental I’d think.

I’ve toyed with the idea of having JJ rechamber to an 8x60R or some improved 8x57 to take the double shoulder out but it shoots just fine as is.
I could see, as Bobster mentions, that a secondary shoulder, or more correctly, a secondary neck, could help center the cartridge into the bore.
Not that normal necks don’t also do that, but the stepped design may offer more points of concentricity in the chamber (?)

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in 1982 I purchased a Ruger 77-R heavy barreled rifle in 6mm Remington. Ammo being hard to find and me being cheap, I shortened a quantity of 7.62 blanks and reamed/resized them to hold the 6mm bullet. The double shoulder had them headspace properly and, loaded with an 75 to 85 grain bullet and fire formed, these made passable 6mm brass.

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote