New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: short 30/338 lapua
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wrong. Much bigger than the Dakota line.

Actually, a 2.5" Lapua - same as a 2.5" Rigby - has right at the same capacity of a RUM. The Dakota pretty much duplicates full-length H&H cases.

Thing is, if you can fit the RUM, you get the same round but much easier on the bolt and lugs.

It's a tough thing, because the 3.34" Lapua is a good-looking round.

I have long longed for a 3.1" Rigby, in either .284" or .308" but most competant reports are that the RUM/Jeffery/WSM case head is about max for the standard bolt dia.

I may do it one day on a "short action" M1999 at some point. The ultimate "short mag."

[btw, the Dakota does well match the full-length H&H; maybe what you were thinking.]

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crow Mag- It has been done. I don't know the length of the case, but it was shortened quite a bit and I think it has a 40* shoulder. My 'smith called it the .300 Gonzo. The results were nothing short of amazing. If you want his name and number pm me and I will send it to you.-Mike

Posts: 52 | Location: Pierce County Washington | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 338 Lapua Imp and was thinking about having a reamer maid in a .308 shortened to 2.5� with a 35� shoulder and minimum taper based on the 338 Lapua case has any one done this and how did it work?

Posts: 59 | Location: mi | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
crow mag

What you'd have would be pretty close ballitically to the 300 Dakota without having to open up a bolt face to the Lapua dimensions or having to make the cases.

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boomer:
Crow Mag- It has been done. I don't know the length of the case, but it was shortened quite a bit and I think it has a 40* shoulder. My 'smith called it the .300 Gonzo. The results were nothing short of amazing. If you want his name and number pm me and I will send it to you.-Mike

tera

which is its base of cartridge? duelle its longueure of the casing OF 300 Gonzo?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana-be:
... but most competant reports are that the RUM/Jeffery/WSM case head is about max for the standard bolt dia.

I would consider the standard bolt diameter to be .700", no?

That is perfectly competent for the Rigby/Lapua, so fear not, nor the thrust issues with this case size. The standard rifles will do fine with 75,000 psi in the Rigby/Lapua, but we do not want to go any higher than about 65,000 psi now do we? The rifles are stronger than the brass in this case too. thumb

Spreading the gospel of the "Lapua Big Five Plus Grandma Gibbs": Keep Grandma down to 55,000 psi. The Lapua sisters can go 65,000 psi.

The Lapua Manual says that the .300 Lapua has been around since the early 1980's and is a CIP standardized cartridge that Lapua makes headstamped brass for occasionally. Redding stocks dies for it. Max COL is 3.681", just like for the .338 Lapua Magnum.

The .308 Chui below is 3.798" long just for reference. It is otherwise identical to the .300 Lapua. Nothing new. The Lapua Manual mentioned that there are many variations on the .300 Lapua, some short, some blown out, etc.

left to right:
.308 Chui
.338 Simba
.375 Nyati
.423 Kifaru
.458 Tembo
.510 Bibi
BIG SIX

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote