Find
Notify
Tools

357 Herrettic (Heretic)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
What do you get when you combine the 22 Nosler case with 357 Herrett reamers and dies? A heretical cartridge AKA 357 Herrettic

Now that is a fun and easy wildcat!

You could blow it out another 10 thou and a steeper shoulder for an improved Herrettic.
Rechamber a useless 350 “Legend” for this beauty!

.22 Nosler left 223 right

Here is the 357 Herrett with the 200 grain Hornady FTX and its looks like a super size 300BLK with a rim. Obviously the 22 Nosler case would give it a rebated version of this.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27591 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Aw, geez, Boomie, here I thought we would see a swell new gun, cartridge and targets ...

Cool

I remember Bob Milek writing about his and Steve Herrett's adventures with this cartridge. I had a Contender in .30 Herrett for a while. Liked it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16319 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a Contender in .30 Herrett for a while.

I still have one of those. The only problem I see with the potential design on this new wildcat is your mention of a "steeper shoulder."

The 350 Legend as well as the 450 Bushmaster were designed to comply with the regulations in a few midwestern states that now allow certain cartridges in what used to be shotgun only areas. These regulations normally call for straight walled cartridges to be legal. Anything with a shoulder is a no go.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Just an idea worth sharing I thought right now

quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Aw, geez, Boomie, here I thought we would see a swell new gun, cartridge and targets ...

Cool

I remember Bob Milek writing about his and Steve Herrett's adventures with this cartridge. I had a Contender in .30 Herrett for a while. Liked it.

Posts: 27591 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I was just throwing out the idea of an improved version for those that like that

quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
quote:
I had a Contender in .30 Herrett for a while.

I still have one of those. The only problem I see with the potential design on this new wildcat is your mention of a "steeper shoulder."

The 350 Legend as well as the 450 Bushmaster were designed to comply with the regulations in a few midwestern states that now allow certain cartridges in what used to be shotgun only areas. These regulations normally call for straight walled cartridges to be legal. Anything with a shoulder is a no go.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I'm probably missing something, but what parent case is actually shown in the photo, with the rim? Is that a 30 Herritt necked up? For the straight wall regulation on firearms for hunting in some states, approximately what would the diameter be if it were expanded to a completely straight walled case? From the drawing, it looks like about .366 or .375.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
30-30