New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP ED HUBEL
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just found out Ed passed away on the 5th of November.

Sad day for wildcat world.

See you on the other side Sir.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, lost another one.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Ed.

Thanks for posts and inspiration.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear this. RIP Ed.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear this. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Ed did a lot for the wildcat world. He will be missed.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rest In Peace.

Posts: 10597 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My main hunting rifle now is a "24 ga. From Hell" (577NE) single shot H&R Handi Rifle that Ed converted for me. I use it for cape buffalo which are about the only animal that I hunt anymore. I will take on my booked hunt in 2022.

He would help me with loads for it sometimes. He was a good guy. I often think of Ed. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rest in Peace, Ed. My experience with him emphasized his inventiveness and "make do with very little" attitude. Likely not many folks know it, but he was instrumental in developing the cartridge Mitch Fitzpatrick used to win the first King of 2Mile--the 375 Lethal (375 LPA).

They broke the mold after Ed.

Dave Manson

Posts: 686 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear this.

I am proud to own .585 HE rifle. Got brass, dies, reamer and advices from Ed.

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a post that I made about Ed, back in July 2018. I had good experience working with Ed on my .577NE. I miss him already.
Brian Canada

one of us
posted 03 July 2018 21:48
Ed Hubel is the one that got me going on the 24ga. From Hell. (A .577NE that is good for early slug-gun season.)

He has done a lot of experimenting and innovative work with unique big bores. He built my first H&R stub barrel set up and I have had some great adventures with it in Africa. My H&R stub barrelled big bores are now my go-to rifles for Africa. I have several bolt actions that I could take instead but I am hooked on these exciting, short, single shots for cape buffalo.

Old Ed is always there to help with my big bore load development and I have learned a lot from him.

This is not a plug for him, it is just a note of gratitude for making my DG hunting even more interesting. Ed is an important part of my hunting story. Brian Gallup

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, all to those who are of the sinner made saint.

I say what harm did Ed do? Piss us off over the internet about Russia and China. I hope when I die the equivalence is all the harm I have done.

Posts: 10828 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Brian, I gave up trying to stay current with those "...From Hell" posts, but always appreciated what Ed was up to. Glad you are campaigning that .577!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill,

Ed was good old guy and I had a good experience with him on that project. I am booked for 3 cows and a bull next year with the .577. It's a real hoot to shoot a buffalo with it at close range.

I got the impression that my .577 was the last barrel stub H&R that Ed did.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Damn, I didn't hear about it. RIP

He was a long time member of the Calguns internet forum with all of us still locked in the west coast gulag.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even with this sad info - I too can say happily - what I quote below. (Mine's a multi-shot, magazine fed, bolt rifle on a MRC PH action.)
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
I am sorry to hear this.

I am proud to own .585 HE rifle. Got brass, dies, reamer and advices from Ed.

Jiri

StalkerJack

Posts: 49 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 20 January 2022Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
RIP Ed.

We will all remember you when we see your big wildcats.
Thank you for your kindness and patience with cartridge collectors.

Spain,
Jose

Posts: 1 | Location: Spain | Registered: 15 April 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Miss you Ed..I contacted Edover 10yrs.ago when he did an H&R 10ga. he convented it to 8ga.He also help me with 4 bore pump.RIP my old friend.

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He will be missed, prayers to him and family..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Heck !

I missed this back then, what a pity, he helped me a lot with my old 12 double rifle, a 15lb 3in monster gun that needed some big loads !

He will be very much missed.

Some very cool member's have passed away in the last few years & I don't see a lot of cool replacements of them !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Me, too. RIP to a wildcatter's wildcat.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote